Re: Ideal Still for Apple Brandy

  • andyfnp
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 9, 2007
      Parrothead, do you plan on building pot stills or reflux stills out of
      those SS kegs for brandy production?
    • andyfnp
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 9, 2007
        Parrothead, what is the advantage to using mash in the thumper as
        opposed to plain water?
      • countrytime_still
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 10, 2007
          I made some great Apple Brandy last fall, no sugar was added eather.
          My still is a 2.5 gallon mini beer keg. A friend welded a "head" to the
          top (I don't rember what it was off of) and I fill it with marbles. I
          use a lot of the tails and cut it down to 100 Proof. I then added
          French oak chips.
        • donald holcombe
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 12, 2007
            The whole idea up the thumper is to distill the mash in the boiler and the thumper at the same time . Its a time and energy saver Plus it helps double distills the mash. Water would be a waste of time in a thumper!