thanks

  • Ian S Pilcher
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2000
      Thanks to Tony I deleted this file before opening it.
      Come on folks, lets keep it clean.
      Pilch Man.
    • dkorbo99
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2002
        Thanks guys for your help. John you asked about the ss keg. I found it
        in the city at a good scrap steel yard, along with all the pipe I
        needed for about 70 dollars. I did also find a 300 gallon ss tank but
        it was very expensive but was very tempted. With the elements only one
        will be used when the wash hits running temps.
        Thanks again I was worried that the tower wouldn't be tall enough.
      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2002
          > Thanks again I was worried that the tower wouldn't be tall enough.

          It really depends on your expectations ... if using scrubbers, with a
          decent reflux ratio, you should expect about ..
          1 (pot) = 53%
          2 (12cm) = 80%
          3 (24cm) = 87%
          4 (36cm) = 90%
          5 (48cm) = 92%
          6 (60cm) = 92.6%
          7 (72cm) = 93.3%
          8 (84cm) = 93.8%
          9 (96cm) = 94.2%
          now dont take these as gospel, cos' my maths makes it very hard to get
          better than 95%, which is usually quite easy for 1.2m column (and sometimes
          shorter), but you get the basic idea.

          Poll for the group ... I've been hearing some great stuff about Mikes
          "vapour managment" design, where he's getting great purity with very short
          columns ... Who out there has got short columns with high purity ? Want
          to toss a few numbers to the group and see who can do best ?

          Tony
        • raptillicus2
          Message 4 of 6 , May 13, 2003
            Thanks for the info.and I do plan on redoing all the joint with lead
            free soider.sorry no pics yet.
            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2008
              Hi Philip,

              You're most welcome.

              I cannot recomment ANY form of plastic or poly for a beverage still column.  In time we may be able to adapt the high-temp types for fuels, but I won't chance them for things I will be putting in my body.

              Best advice I can give is either go stainless (304 or 316, nothing else) with copper mesh for catalytic conversion of sulphides, or else bite the bullet and spring for the copper.  Either way you'll have a rig that will last you a lifetime, and a fine safe legacy to hand on to your kids.  When you think of it like that, all of a sudden price is no longer an issue.  Good luck.

              philip_smithwick <philip_smithwick@...> wrote:
              hi harry. with the price of copper going through the roof i have been
              exploring other materials to build my dream still. i have found some
              non-reactive , high temp plastic/urethane hose that would be awsome ,
              but its almost double the price of copper. i guess stainless is the way
              ill have to go since its more afordable. i do bodywork on cars for a
              living so TIG welding the connections is no problem. well,thanks again
              dude.

            • blackbuca1
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 14, 2011
                "still" think i am way over my head