pear brandy

  • carol
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2007
      i would like a recipe for making pear brandy from a mash
      ie what weight of pears
      do i need to take seeds and cores out
      how long should i let it ferment ??
      i would prefer not to have to add any yeast or sugar will this work ???

      i intend to distill using a pot still is once through this ok or
      should i put it throgh twice ??
      i want to keep a reasonable pear flavour

      do i need to age it ??

      what would happen if i put in an oak barrel for a while ???

      all very new to me as you may have guessed cheers
    • Link D'Antoni
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2007
        Carol,

        (This is just showing up in my mailbox Feb 6, four
        days after your post.)

        I have only made pear brandy from Pear wine. I have
        not make it purely using fruit.

        According to 'Artisan Distilling' in Harry's library:
        http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Listings2.htm#Books%20Listings

        Pears have a 6% to 14% sugar content with a 9% mean.

        You might scan over Artisan for some insite if you
        have not already.

        Link

        http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail