Refractometers

  • Carl Roberts
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2007
      A refractometer has been suggested for monitoring . It would appear a
      range of 50% up would be required.

      I cannot find any direct reading hand held units listed.

      Is there a listing of refractive index vs concentration available?
    • Jan Wouter
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2007
        What do you need a refractometer for?

        Jan Wouter, confused

        2007/2/2, Carl Roberts <ee1958@...>:
        > A refractometer has been suggested for monitoring . It would appear a
        > range of 50% up would be required.
        >
        > I cannot find any direct reading hand held units listed.
        >
        > Is there a listing of refractive index vs concentration available?

      • pint_o_shine
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2007
          What are you wanting to measure with the refractometer sugar or alcohol?

          The highest you can usually get on an alcohol refractometer is about
          80% These are usually only good to ±1% and are extremely temperature
          sensitive.

          Check ebay for some of the cheaper refractometers.

          A good refractometer will be temperature corrected.
        • Robert Thomas
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2007
            They are an excellent way of measuring strength. HOWEVER, hand helds
            don't work. You need a temperature controlled immersion style. Mega
            bucks.
            Cheers
            Rob.

            --- Jan Wouter <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote:

            > What do you need a refractometer for?
            >
            > Jan Wouter, confused
            >
            > 2007/2/2, Carl Roberts <ee1958@...>:
            > > A refractometer has been suggested for monitoring . It would appear
            > > range of 50% up would be required.
            > >
            > > I cannot find any direct reading hand held units listed.
            > >
            > > Is there a listing of refractive index vs concentration available?

            Cheers,
            Rob.

            Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
            in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.
          • nenengstoute
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2007
              a hydrometer is much better a choice for high alcohol content. for
              measuring finished wine or beer a refractometer is a great tool.my
              brother has one. personally i'll save the money and just get a cheap
              vinometer off ebay to compare with the readings from my triple scale
              hydrometer. mike --- In

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
                What's wrong with the simple floating alcohol meter? Just a few bucks
                and gives you all the info you need.
                Jan Wouter

                2007/2/3, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>:
                > They are an excellent way of measuring strength. HOWEVER, hand helds
                > don't work. You need a temperature controlled immersion style. Mega
                > bucks.
                > Cheers
                > Rob.
                >
                > --- Jan Wouter <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote:
                >
                > > What do you need a refractometer for?
                > >
                > > Jan Wouter, confused
                > >
                > > 2007/2/2, Carl Roberts <ee1958@...>:
                > > > A refractometer has been suggested for monitoring . It would appear
                > > > range of 50% up would be required.
                > > >
                > > > I cannot find any direct reading hand held units listed.
                > > >
                > > > Is there a listing of refractive index vs concentration available?
                > > >

                > Cheers,
                > Rob.

              • Derek Hamlet
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
                  Refractometers are wonderful things.
                  I use one to test the sugar content (Brix) of our grapes when we get them.
                  I also use it to measure the drop in brix or s.g. as the wine as it ferments.
                  In some ways it's easier than straining all the gunk to get a nice
                  clear sample for the hydrometer.
                  When I'm making port, it's important to know exactly what the sugar
                  content is because you want to pull off the requisite amount and then
                  stop the fermentation with brandy.
                  I've never heard of using a refractometer to monitor alcohol content
                  during distilling. It would have to be a very specialized and I'm
                  guessing expensive bit of equipment.
                  I just float my alcohol hydrometer in my soldered up parrot's
                  beak. It covers the 95%-55% alcohol that I'm interested in.
                  If someone does want a refractometer for wine making purposes,
                  though, the Chinese are making very good temperature corrected ones
                  for about $50.
                  Mine is 5 years old and does a bang up job. Of course it isn't
                  exactly getting hard use. I probably take 10 readings per year.
                  But, oh can you pose with it. Just before harvest we go out to the
                  farms and you can pull your refractometer out of your pocket and
                  squeeze a grape on the slide an hold it up to the light. Great.
                  Sometimes the folks who sell grapes are a little optimistic. I've
                  received spec. sheets with grape orders where the sugars and acids
                  quoted had little to do with the reality of the average of the grapes.

                  \\At 04:34 AM 2/3/2007, you wrote:

                  >a hydrometer is much better a choice for high alcohol content. for
                  >measuring finished wine or beer a refractometer is a great tool.my
                  >brother has one. personally i'll save the money and just get a cheap
                  >vinometer off ebay to compare with the readings from my triple scale
                  >hydrometer. mike --- In
                  ><mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com>n

                  ;-)Derek
                • Robert Thomas
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
                    You are so right Jan. My point was that in the right hands, with the
                    right auxilliary equipment (eg very accurate temperature baths) and
                    superb optics they can (if you have enough training and experience)
                    measure to 0.001%. That is so cool - in an over-the-top-geek way!

                    Refractometers are fantastically useful at the start of fermentation
                    (checking a mash, when buying grapes etc). Their relevance drops
                    dramatically as fermentation progresses (there are a few tables for
                    specific correlations, but I'd be very suspicious of them).
                    When you get to pure alcohol/water mixes, they can also be useful: but
                    ONLY if they are submersed lens types (a little smear of 80% ethoh on a
                    lens will evaporate before you can breathe on it), and only if the have
                    VERY good temp compensation (the RI vs. temp graph is unforgiving in
                    this case)

                    Cheers
                    Rob.

                    --- Jan Wouter <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote:

                    > What's wrong with the simple floating alcohol meter? Just a few bucks
                    > and gives you all the info you need.
                    > Jan Wouter
                    >
                    > 2007/2/3, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>:
                    > > They are an excellent way of measuring strength. HOWEVER, hand
                    > helds
                    > > don't work. You need a temperature controlled immersion style. Mega
                    > > bucks.
                    > > Cheers
                    > > Rob.
                    > >
                    > > --- Jan Wouter <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote: