Mini still to ARC

  • allanrnewton
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
      A question to Riku.
      I have built a Bokakob 1.5" x20 "mini still and wish to convert it to
      an ext ARC.As there is only 14" of packing max for the arc tube to work
      its magic, will I still recieve the benefits of the arc.
      I wish to take the opertunity to tell how much your advice and
      willingness to share you knowledge is appreciated.
      Yours sincerly
      Allan
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
        Thanks for your kind words Allan,

        Now the scenario you have here is a tough one. Shortest internal sensor
        pipe I've tried succesfully was 40cm long. The external version needs
        to be longer as the heat transition is slower and the boiling event
        gets delayed requiring higher temperature inside the column.

        If I were you I would add 1 meter extension to that column and use 80cm
        external sensor pipe. Then again if I really were you I'd use that
        extension and 60cm internal sensor pipe for even better results. If the
        extension is out of question you could try having the sensorpipe go
        10cm from the bottom of the column. I won't give you any guarantees how
        that works but at least it will help in controlling the still. You can
        still retain the needle valve in the external part of the ARC to have
        dual controls, in case the ARC with short sensor pipe is too slow to
        react.

        Cheers, Riku
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "allanrnewton"
        <allanrnewton@...> wrote:

        > A question to Riku.
        > I have built a Bokakob 1.5" x20 "mini still and wish to convert it to
        > an ext ARC.As there is only 14" of packing max for the arc tube to
        work
        > its magic, will I still recieve the benefits of the arc.
        > I wish to take the opertunity to tell how much your advice and
        > willingness to share you knowledge is appreciated.
        > Yours sincerly
        > Allan

      • allanrnewton
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2007
          <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

          > > Now the scenario you have here is a tough one. Shortest internal
          sensor
          > pipe I've tried succesfully was 40cm long. The external version
          needs Thanks for your kind words Allan,

          > > Cheers, Riku
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "allanrnewton"
          > <allanrnewton@> wrote:
          > >
          > > A question to Riku.
          > > I have built a Bokakob 1.5" x20 "mini still and wish to convert
          it to
          > > an ext ARC.As there is only 14" of packing max for the arc tube
          > > Allan
          > >
          >Thanks for response Riku . I will bite the bullet and cut the mini
          and add an internal arc in a 1mtr ext.
          Will the 1.5mm pipe be ok for 1000watts .
          I also have 1meter 50 mm. If I use this can I use my 1.5 existing
          condenser
        • allanrnewton
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2007

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 4, 2007
              <allanrnewton@...> wrote:

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
              > <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Now the scenario you have here is a tough one. Shortest
              internal
              > sensor
              > > pipe I've tried succesfully was 40cm long. The external version
              > needs Thanks for your kind words Allan,
              > >

              > > > Cheers, Riku
              > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "allanrnewton"
              > > <allanrnewton@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > A question to Riku.
              > > > I have built a Bokakob 1.5" x20 "mini still and wish to convert
              > it to
              > > > an ext ARC.As there is only 14" of packing max for the arc
              tube
              > > > Allan
              > > >
              > >Thanks for response Riku . I will bite the bullet and cut the mini
              > and add an internal arc in a 1mtr ext.
              > Will the 1.5mm pipe be ok for 1000watts .
              > I also have 1meter 50 mm. If I use this can I use my 1.5 existing
              > condenser

              I forgot to add my name
              Allan
            • abbababbaccc
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 4, 2007
                Allan,

                The condenserworks just fine. What I'd do is to get a capillary joint
                and add a 1 meter section below your current unit using that. An
                internal sensorpipe can be added to a slanted plate design if you use
                some creativity, especially if you have a version where the reflux
                feed pipe goes back to column. 1.5mm pipe is damn small and probably
                doesn't even exist as on the shelf item, so I assume you meant 1.5
                meters column height which is just fine.