Re: Frac /reflux still designs

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 31, 2007
      Well, as we all know a reflux still can be built with open top and in
      fact it needs to be open to atmosphere. Some designs use a cap on top
      of the column with ventilation hole to cover inefficient top
      condenser or just for good looks.

      In this case we can use the cap for our advantage. We'll make a top
      cap and for ventilation we have a simple ball valve (or similar) that
      can be closed when necessary. With the cap in place, ventilation
      closed, reflux condenser bypassed and product valve fully open the VM
      still becomes a simple potstill with increased amount of internal
      reflux due to packed column. Very good gear for making whiskey, rum
      and brandies. You can either remove the packing or adjust the cut ABV
      to somewhat higher level when using this rig as a potstill.

      Note, having both valves in the system closed simultaneously is
      dangerous and can lead to overpressure in the boiler.

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "needragonn" <needragonn@...>