running more than one run

  • towndrunk1952
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2007
      Hello,
      I'm pretty new to this so this will probably sound like a stupid
      question. I know that on the first run you need to throw away 100-
      150ml. of foreshot. If you are going to run the rest( not the tails)
      through again for another distillation,do you have to throw away the
      first 100-150ml. each time you make a run? Thanks, Les
    • morganfield1
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2007
        Hi Town,

        The short answer, no. Once you toss the methenol, it doesn't come back.

        A slightly longer answer, if you're going to distill the product
        twice, generally called a "stripping" then "product" run, collect
        everything on the first run. Heads, tails, paws, and fur. You'll find
        the cuts easier to make when you do the product run because they will
        be more concentrated.

        Having said that (and by the way, Welcome to the Group), tell us about
        your machine. Is it internally or externally heated? Pot still or
        reflux? Give us the goodies, inquirioring minds want to know! There
        are some safty issues involved, that's why I ask.

        Tip one, Morgan

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "towndrunk1952"
        <towndrunk1952@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I'm pretty new to this so this will probably sound like a stupid
        > question. I know that on the first run you need to throw away 100-
        > 150ml. of foreshot. If you are going to run the rest( not the tails)
        > through again for another distillation,do you have to throw away the
        > first 100-150ml. each time you make a run? Thanks, Les

      • fro1966
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2007
          <towndrunk1952@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          > I'm pretty new to this so this will probably sound like a stupid
          > question. I know that on the first run you need to throw away 100-
          > 150ml. of foreshot. If you are going to run the rest( not the tails)
          > through again for another distillation,do you have to throw away the
          > first 100-150ml. each time you make a run? Thanks, Les

          Not sure I am new to tis 2 would be interested in the answer
          Thanks fro1966
        • gff_stwrt
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2007
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1"
            <morganfield1@...> wrote:

            > Hi Town,

            snip...
            collect
            > everything on the first run. Heads, tails, paws, and fur.

            snip

            > Tip one, Morgan

            Nice one, Morgan!

            The Baker
          • Leslie Richardson
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
              Hey Morgan,
              Thank You for the info. I appreciate it. I haven't
              built a machine yet.I try to get as much information
              as I can on something before I get started into it.
              I'm really looking forward to distilling my own
              stuff. Thanks again...Les

              Have a burning question?
            • morganfield1
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
                Hi Les,
                If it's info you're looking for, you have to know the right
                questions. I would suggest going to http//homedistiller.org and look
                at the FAQ's, if you haven't already. Decide what kind of hooch you
                want to try to make, and then read the ENTIRE SITE. There is a
                wealth, and I mean a wealth of information there. Then look in the
                links section, particularly Harry's tastylime library. Harry has put
                together a great collection of books and articles, and recipes,
                pertaining to this great hobby. The time you take to read and do
                research, will save you alot of time, and Money!, in the long run.
                Good luck and have fun.

                Tip one, Morgan

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Leslie Richardson