Re: Sutronics controller pictures posted.

  • sn_cur
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2007
      Leigh,

      Stiff, hard/solid core wire will help a lot.

      Just because you have run it without problems for five years doesn't mean it will always be
      safe. If anything, the risk of failure increases with age.

      Kids were my main concern. Those damn inquisitive little fingers.

      And I wasn't actually expecting or suggesting that you submit your box for a formal
      inspection. Apart from anything else, it is illegal for an unqualified person to do electrical
      wiring. No point in dobbing yourself in! :-)

      Glad to hear you take electrical safety seriously, some don't. Sorry if I seemed a bit
      insistent, but I know a fair bit more about electrical safety than your average wombat, and
      there are very good reasons for the strict wiring rules, it is definitely not just bureaucracy
      gone mad. Electricity maims and kills very easily and quickly, I have seen the results first
      hand more than once, and the tragedy is that it is nearly always easily preventable.

      Just make sure your earth is always in good condition, and the circuit breakers (or power
      points) you are running through are the Residual Current Device type (also called Earth
      Leakage breaker, or Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter, or Appliance Leakage Current
      Interrupter), and you shouldn't have any problems. RCDs are standard in Australian
      buildings and your house almost certainly will have them fitted. But some old buldings
      may not. If you don't have them fitted you can buy stand alone RCD power points on the
      end of an extension cord that just plug into normal power points. Most hardware stores
      carry them. RCDs are particularly important in situations, such as distilling, where you
      might get water around your work area. The trade guys use them all the time on building
      sites. Wikipedia also has a good article on them.

      Cheers for a safe hobby.