18 feet collumn....

  • fredrik.kleven
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 27, 2007
      Hi...
      I've got a 18 feet 70 mm SS (64 mm inner diameter) pipe layning around
      and i thought it might be an idea just using the whole pipe filled up
      with marbles, and a 50 l batch with a 10 KW gasheater.

      I plotted the datas in Homedestillers' reflux calculator awhich said
      i would get about 5 liters of 94,7 in 90 minutes....

      So heres the questions i hope someone could answer =)

      Would it be possible to have it as discribed above? Would i even need
      a stillhead, cooling, reflux control. Or could i just put an end cap
      with a 1/2 copper pipe going all the way down to the ground without
      any cooling?

      Thanks for any answers =)

      Fredrik
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 28, 2007
        That's one TALL column you plan to do, 5.4 meters. Now scrubbers are
        3-4 times more efficient than marbles, so your performance will be
        similar to a 1.5-1.8m regular column - quite capable of reaching
        95.6% azeotrope and good speed. I have no experience on marbles so I
        won't comment on power required However as with any design, reflux
        condenser on top is recommended as well as insulating the column if
        you are serious about making neutral alcohol.

        Cheers, Riku

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fredrik.kleven"
        <fredrik.kleven@...> wrote:

        > Hi...
        > I've got a 18 feet 70 mm SS (64 mm inner diameter) pipe layning
        around
        > and i thought it might be an idea just using the whole pipe filled
        up
        > with marbles, and a 50 l batch with a 10 KW gasheater.
        >
        > I plotted the datas in Homedestillers' reflux calculator awhich
        said
        > i would get about 5 liters of 94,7 in 90 minutes....
        >
        > So heres the questions i hope someone could answer =)
        >
        > Would it be possible to have it as discribed above? Would i even
        need
        > a stillhead, cooling, reflux control. Or could i just put an end
        cap
        > with a 1/2 copper pipe going all the way down to the ground without
        > any cooling?
        >
        > Thanks for any answers =)
        >
        > Fredrik

      • surya9375
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 29, 2007
          1, (64 mm inner diameter)
          -> 6.4 cm. I wouldn't suggest scrubbers. But I havent played with this
          big diameters so I guess its best someone else suggest something better.

          2, 18 feet tall and 50 L
          -> I think this is totally overkill. Too much power to be put in. Or
          at least you could bake it bigger batches?

          Regards
          Surya.

          <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

          > That's one TALL column you plan to do, 5.4 meters. Now scrubbers are
          > 3-4 times more efficient than marbles, so your performance will be
          > similar to a 1.5-1.8m regular column - quite capable of reaching
          > 95.6% azeotrope and good speed. I have no experience on marbles so I
          > won't comment on power required However as with any design, reflux
          > condenser on top is recommended as well as insulating the column if
          > you are serious about making neutral alcohol.
          >
          > Cheers, Riku
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fredrik.kleven"
          > <fredrik.kleven@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi...
          > > I've got a 18 feet 70 mm SS (64 mm inner diameter) pipe layning
          > around
          > > and i thought it might be an idea just using the whole pipe filled
          > up
          > > with marbles, and a 50 l batch with a 10 KW gasheater.
          > >
          > > I plotted the datas in Homedestillers' reflux calculator awhich
          > said
          > > i would get about 5 liters of 94,7 in 90 minutes....
          > >
          > > So heres the questions i hope someone could answer =)
          > >
          > > Would it be possible to have it as discribed above? Would i even
          > need
          > > a stillhead, cooling, reflux control. Or could i just put an end
          > cap
          > > with a 1/2 copper pipe going all the way down to the ground without
          > > any cooling?
          > >
          > > Thanks for any answers =)
          > >
          > > Fredrik

        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 30, 2007
            64mm works with scrubbers. There's a decrease in separation
            efficiency (maybe 20% or so) but that can be fixed with increased
            reflux ratio.

            Cheers, Riku

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "surya9375" <surya9375@...>
            wrote:

            > 1, (64 mm inner diameter)
            > -> 6.4 cm. I wouldn't suggest scrubbers. But I havent played with
            this
            > big diameters so I guess its best someone else suggest something
            better.

            > 2, 18 feet tall and 50 L
            > -> I think this is totally overkill. Too much power to be put in. Or
            > at least you could bake it bigger batches?
            >
            > Regards
            > Surya.
            >

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
            > <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
            > >
            > > That's one TALL column you plan to do, 5.4 meters. Now scrubbers
            are
            > > 3-4 times more efficient than marbles, so your performance will
            be
            > > similar to a 1.5-1.8m regular column - quite capable of reaching
            > > 95.6% azeotrope and good speed. I have no experience on marbles
            so I
            > > won't comment on power required However as with any design,
            reflux
            > > condenser on top is recommended as well as insulating the column
            if
            > > you are serious about making neutral alcohol.
            > >
            > > Cheers, Riku
            > >
            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fredrik.kleven"
            > > <fredrik.kleven@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi...
            > > > I've got a 18 feet 70 mm SS (64 mm inner diameter) pipe layning
            > > around
            > > > and i thought it might be an idea just using the whole pipe
            filled
            > > up
            > > > with marbles, and a 50 l batch with a 10 KW gasheater.
            > > >
            > > > I plotted the datas in Homedestillers' reflux calculator awhich
            > > said
            > > > i would get about 5 liters of 94,7 in 90 minutes....
            > > >
            > > > So heres the questions i hope someone could answer =)
            > > >
            > > > Would it be possible to have it as discribed above? Would i
            even
            > > need
            > > > a stillhead, cooling, reflux control. Or could i just put an
            end
            > > cap
            > > > with a 1/2 copper pipe going all the way down to the ground
            without
            > > > any cooling?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks for any answers =)
            > > >
            > > > Fredrik

          • Benjamin Domingo Bof
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 30, 2007
              Hi, we are making an column four inches diameter 12 feet high. Our designs are with small crash glass bottle pieces to obtain reflux. The column is made from mild steel for dip galvanizing. Have two stages of copper coil, one two feet high and the other in the top to obtain 85 centigrade degrees. Benjamin

              wrote:

              > 1, (64 mm inner diameter)
              > -> 6.4 cm. I wouldn't suggest scrubbers. But I havent played with
              this
              > big diameters so I guess its best someone else suggest something
              better.

              > 2, 18 feet tall and 50 L
              > -> I think this is totally overkill. Too much power to be put in. Or
              > at least you could bake it bigger batches?
              >
              > Regards
              > Surya.
              >

              > --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "abbababbaccc"
              > <abbababbaccc@ > wrote:
              > >
              > > That's one TALL column you plan to do, 5.4 meters. Now scrubbers
              are
              > > 3-4 times more efficient than marbles, so your performance will
              be
              > > similar to a 1.5-1.8m regular column - quite capable of reaching
              > > 95.6% azeotrope and good speed. I have no experience on marbles
              so I
              > > won't comment on power required However as with any design,
              reflux
              > > condenser on top is recommended as well as insulating the column
              if
              > > you are serious about making neutral alcohol.
              > >
              > > Cheers, Riku
              > >
              > > --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "fredrik.kleven"
              > > <fredrik.kleven@ > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi...
              > > > I've got a 18 feet 70 mm SS (64 mm inner diameter) pipe layning
              > > around
              > > > and i thought it might be an idea just using the whole pipe
              filled
              > > up
              > > > with marbles, and a 50 l batch with a 10 KW gasheater.
              > > >
              > > > I plotted the datas in Homedestillers' reflux calculator awhich
              > > said
              > > > i would get about 5 liters of 94,7 in 90 minutes....
              > > >
              > > > So heres the questions i hope someone could answer =)
              > > >
              > > > Would it be possible to have it as discribed above? Would i
              even
              > > need
              > > > a stillhead, cooling, reflux control. Or could i just put an
              end
              > > cap
              > > > with a 1/2 copper pipe going all the way down to the ground
              without
              > > > any cooling?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks for any answers =)
              > > >
              > > > Fredrik

              Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
              está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
              Probalo ya!

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 30, 2007
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Benjamin Domingo Bof
                <benjaminbof@...> wrote:

                > Hi, we are making an column four inches diameter 12 feet high. Our
                designs are with small crash glass bottle pieces to obtain reflux.
                The column is made from mild steel for dip galvanizing. Have two
                stages of copper coil, one two feet high and the other in the top to
                obtain 85 centigrade degrees. Benjamin

                You're building a POISON FACTORY!!!!

                Hot dip galvanising and ethanol fumes are a nasty mix. Mild steel
                and ethanol fumes rapidly create rust. Build the column from
                copper, stainless steel, or glass. DO NOT USE galvanised pipe!

                What the hell's wrong with you people???? There's a million
                articles on the galvo poisoning issue, in these groups and all over
                the 'net. And yet you totally ignore them or don't even read them.
                Makes me wonder why we bother providing them in the first place.

                If you poison yourself, that just helps Darwin's evolution theory,
                weeding out defective genes. If you poison someone else, that's
                MURDER!

              • damtender2003
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 30, 2007

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Benjamin Domingo Bof
                  > <benjaminbof@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi, we are making an column four inches diameter 12 feet high.
                  Our
                  > designs are with small crash glass bottle pieces to obtain reflux.
                  > The column is made from mild steel for dip galvanizing. Have two
                  > stages of copper coil, one two feet high and the other in the top
                  > obtain 85 centigrade degrees. Benjamin
                  >

                  > You're building a POISON FACTORY!!!!
                  >
                  > Hot dip galvanising and ethanol fumes are a nasty mix. Mild steel
                  > and ethanol fumes rapidly create rust. Build the column from
                  > copper, stainless steel, or glass. DO NOT USE galvanised pipe!
                  >
                  > What the hell's wrong with you people???? There's a million
                  > articles on the galvo poisoning issue, in these groups and all over
                  > the 'net. And yet you totally ignore them or don't even read
                  them.
                  > Makes me wonder why we bother providing them in the first place.
                  >
                  > If you poison yourself, that just helps Darwin's evolution theory,
                  > weeding out defective genes. If you poison someone else, that's
                  > MURDER!
                  >
                  > Slainte!
                  > regards Harry

                  Harry, this is a question along the same line. I have access to some
                  free 3" brass pipe. Best I know, brass is about 60% copper, 40% zinc.
                  Could it be safely used for still construction? Thanks, Jon
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 30, 2007
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "damtender2003"
                    <damtender2003@...> wrote:

                    > Harry, this is a question along the same line. I have access to some
                    > free 3" brass pipe. Best I know, brass is about 60% copper, 40%
                    zinc.
                    > Could it be safely used for still construction? Thanks, Jon

                    The zinc component of the alloy is very high. I wouldn't use it, but
                    then I'm fussy what I put in my stomach. That's why I make my own
                    booze, and avoid too much commercial stuff. Aluminium, brass, zinc,
                    and lead are examples of materials that corrode more rapidly in the
                    presence of high alcohol concentrations, vapors or liquids.

                    Brass castings & fittings meant for machining contain a small amount
                    of lead. This can be surface treated & removed to make these items
                    usable in some distilling apparatus, such as metering valves. However
                    they don't (or shouldn't) come in contact with hot ethanol vapors
                    (some of you may want to re-think the metals used for the gate valve
                    bodies in your VM rigs). They will still corrode, but much more
                    slowly, and the leaching is not significant in terms of total dietary
                    metals ingestion.

                  • Benjamin Domingo Bof
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 30, 2007
                      Sorry Harry; but we read about soghum ethanol in India using solar heat exchanger using galvanized pipe 6´´ diameter twnety feet high f making ethanol 95 for combustible.
                       Regards Benjamin

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 30, 2007
                        <benjaminbof@...> wrote:

                        > Sorry Harry; but we read about soghum ethanol in India using solar
                        heat exchanger using galvanized pipe 6´´ diameter twnety feet high f
                        making ethanol 95 for combustible.
                        > Regards Benjamin

                        You never said it was a fuel still. This forum is for BEVERAGE
                        distilling; that is for drinking.

                        That's why we don't talk much about fuel stills here. People forget
                        to mention it's a fuel still, then start talking about all sorts of
                        materials and methods, most of which are useless or dangerous in
                        beverage stills. Then newbies to beverage distilling read it and
                        because nothing was said about it being a still for FUEL, they get
                        the wrong idea about what's good and what's not.

                        Ask yourself...what would happen if a newbie went ahead and built a
                        drinking still after reading about using galvo on here? Please be
                        aware that such a scenario could easily lead to someone getting
                        seriously hurt, or worse.

                        There's plenty of forums around for fuel stills. You'll find links
                        to some in our Links section. But PLEASE stick to beverage type
                        stills here, or if you really must mention fuel stills or there
                        construction, then say what they are for.

                      • kirtgk
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 30, 2007
                          way to go harry!! someone needed to say that! ive been in and out
                          lately from a back surgery, and the meds that go with it unfortantly.
                          no disrespect ment to the fellas building the FUEL still but harrys
                          right. someone just skimming posts could definately get the wrong
                          information on which materials to use. no one wants to see anyone get
                          poisioned by the incorrect building materials. it would be just
                          another stone for the persons keeping bevrage stills for the hobbiest
                          an illegal practice. personaly id love to see the hobbie allowed!
                          weather it be like a drivers license or hunters license, courses to
                          take and then some testing. just to make sure that the people without
                          the common sense or brains dont hurt themselves. ive rambled on long
                          enough so its back to the bed for me.

                          hats off to ya kirtgk

                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Benjamin Domingo Bof
                          > <benjaminbof@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Sorry Harry; but we read about soghum ethanol in India using solar
                          > heat exchanger using galvanized pipe 6´´ diameter twnety feet high f
                          > making ethanol 95 for combustible.
                          > > Regards Benjamin
                          >

                          > You never said it was a fuel still. This forum is for BEVERAGE
                          > distilling; that is for drinking.
                          >
                          > That's why we don't talk much about fuel stills here. People forget
                          > to mention it's a fuel still, then start talking about all sorts of
                          > materials and methods, most of which are useless or dangerous in
                          > beverage stills. Then newbies to beverage distilling read it and
                          > because nothing was said about it being a still for FUEL, they get
                          > the wrong idea about what's good and what's not.
                          >
                          > Ask yourself...what would happen if a newbie went ahead and built a
                          > drinking still after reading about using galvo on here? Please be
                          > aware that such a scenario could easily lead to someone getting
                          > seriously hurt, or worse.
                          >
                          > There's plenty of forums around for fuel stills. You'll find links
                          > to some in our Links section. But PLEASE stick to beverage type
                          > stills here, or if you really must mention fuel stills or there
                          > construction, then say what they are for.
                          >

                          > Slainte!
                          > regards Harry

                        • sonum norbu
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 30, 2007
                            The problem is Harry,  they don't read.  Darwin was right!!!

                            > Hi, we are making an column four inches diameter 12 feet high. Our
                            designs are with small crash glass bottle pieces to obtain reflux.
                            The column is made from mild steel for dip galvanizing. Have two
                            stages of copper coil, one two feet high and the other in the top to
                            obtain 85 centigrade degrees. Benjamin

                            You're building a POISON FACTORY!!!!

                            Hot dip galvanising and ethanol fumes are a nasty mix. Mild steel
                            and ethanol fumes rapidly create rust. Build the column from
                            copper, stainless steel, or glass. DO NOT USE galvanised pipe!

                            What the hell's wrong with you people???? There's a million
                            articles on the galvo poisoning issue, in these groups and all over
                            the 'net. And yet you totally ignore them or don't even read them.
                            Makes me wonder why we bother providing them in the first place.

                            If you poison yourself, that just helps Darwin's evolution theory,
                            weeding out defective genes. If you poison someone else, that's
                            MURDER!

                            SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                            http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
                            #american-pie on Starchat

                            --
                            Powered by Outblaze
                          • mavnkaf
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 1, 2007
                              I agree with sonum norbu, Darwin stated "The supid die".

                              Some time ago I was a hang glider instructer/coach, after afew years
                              I relizied that I can teach peolpe to fly, but I could not teach them
                              common sense during the programme. That starts birth.

                              Cheers
                              Marc

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
                              wrote:

                              > The problem is Harry, they don't read. Darwin was right!!!

                              (Shakyamuni Buddha)

                              > #american-pie on Starchat
                              >
                              > --
                              > Search for products and services at:
                              > http://search.mail.com
                              >
                              > Powered by Outblaze

                            • John Wisbey
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 1, 2007
                                Yes Marc, as we used to say, there are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots. I suppose you could say that about 'stillers
                                John Wisbey
                                  We seem to share more than one common interest.  I also was a glider pilot and skydiver, not simultaneously of course.  :)  However, my wife has jumped from a glider wing.   Blanikdog

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 3, 2007
                                    Hi John and Blanikdog,

                                    I'm hoping to become a old pilot in years to come.. Blanikdog I once
                                    had a skydiver jump/fall from my two seat powered hang glider from
                                    1200 ft, it was amazing to him fall away so quickly!! Not for me
                                    though but I do have a backup chute if need be. I take it you mean
                                    sailplane glider? The Czech Blanik? Your wife, how did she get on
                                    the wing to jump?

                                    And John I hope your right about stilling too, after distilling badly
                                    for many years untill I found Distiller and New_Distillers I finaly
                                    decided to have a liver ultrascan (doc told me) to see if things are
                                    ok. As most know, its almost too late when problems start showing.
                                    My scan looked better than my doctor expecting which was good, no
                                    scaring at all :)

                                    Cheers
                                    Marc

                                    No place like cloud base!

                                    wrote:

                                    > We seem to share more than one common interest. I also was a glider
                                    > pilot and skydiver, not simultaneously of course. :) However, my
                                    wife
                                    > has jumped from a glider wing. Blanikdog

                                    John Wisbey
                                  • sonum norbu
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 3, 2007

                                      Hi Mark,

                                      Yes, it is the Czech sailplane.  We removed the canopy and practised the climbout on the ground, had a tow to three grand, slid along the wing and YAHOOO!  Easy as falling of a log, only higher.  About ten jumpers did the trip. All soft landings.  :)  Go to www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/  for pics.

                                      wrote:

                                      > We seem to share more than one common interest. I also was a glider
                                      > pilot and skydiver, not simultaneously of course. :) However, my
                                      wife
                                      > has jumped from a glider wing. Blanikdog

                                      John Wisbey

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 3, 2007
                                        Hi Marc.
                                        There are more old drunks than old doctors. Hmm.
                                        My gliding activites were in Germany from 1953 to 1955, I used to instruct on a Kranich tanden high performance sailplane on the island of Sylt. It was there that my interest in 'stillin was born. In the cookhouse was a sort mash style still and when on guard at night I used to get a little slug. Those were the days. Yesterday we celebrated our golden wedding with a slug of my triple distilled brandy which I must confess was better that the stuff I used to get on Sylt. Thanks to this group
                                        Ciao for now
                                        John Wisbey