Re: new guy

  • tyler_97355
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 20, 2007
      Sorry, thought i was on the distillers forum. See what no sleep will
      do to a person. lol

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

      > As Harry said, this forum is more suited for people who have already
      > successfully been distilling. The new distillers forum, is just that,
      > for new distillers. However, i will still try to answer your questions.
    • et_couldry
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 10, 2013
        I have not been cooking for about three months I bought a pot still. I am trying to make straight shine just to mix later. I have not been told and read quite a bit more that I should be using a reflux still. I was just wanting to see if I could still use my pot still and maybe someone give some tips. Or should I look into getting a reflux. Anther problem I have is wondering where I should put the thermometer in at the top where the steam is rising to. Or where the liquid is in the pot? I also had a problem regulating me heat to keep the temp constant I have a electric stove in my house not gas. Any pointers there would be helpful.
      • local yokel
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 11, 2013
          IMO the problem is you are trying to run a pot still by tempature. Forget the thermometer, plug the hole, put it in the drawer for the reflux still you may buy in the future. :) Ok, now how to run it? Fill boiler no more that 2/3 or so full of cleared wash that yeast has settled out of for the most part. Turn heat to full blast, cooling water on at same time. When droplets start to form at end of condenser, pay attention the flow is about to start. As the distillant starts to drip, start turning back heat until you get a broken stream running. You might get some wisp of uncondensed vapor, just adjust coolant flow up or heat down.. it will soon stop as the lighter components come off. After collecting foreshots and early heads, turn up heat to a pencil lead sized stream and collect late heads,hearts, and early tails this way. Once fully into the tails turn up to a twisted stream and collect down to whatever abv you desire. I also suggest collect in no more that 8 oz increments on a stove to unit. Line up your jars and number them as they come off. Let sit over night then taste and make your final decisions on which to keep or discard then. In short run it by flow out of condenser, not temps. You do this by adjusting the BTU's you are applying to the boiler.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "et_couldry" <et_couldry@...> wrote:

          > I have not been cooking for about three months I bought a pot still. I am trying to make straight shine just to mix later. I have not been told and read quite a bit more that I should be using a reflux still. I was just wanting to see if I could still use my pot still and maybe someone give some tips. Or should I look into getting a reflux. Anther problem I have is wondering where I should put the thermometer in at the top where the steam is rising to. Or where the liquid is in the pot? I also had a problem regulating me heat to keep the temp constant I have a electric stove in my house not gas. Any pointers there would be helpful.

        • Ebb Dawson
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 11, 2013
            Could you re explain this last part of your statement. I'm just a little confused. What are foreshore and early heads? What's multiply