Re: how many watts

  • enibnikrib
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

      > I'm a little confused as well. Making your column longer will give you
      > more plates, which in turn will give you a better sepparation. Making
      > your column 2 inches longer isn't really going to help you out that
      > much. Going from a 3 foot column to a 4 foot column will. Controling
      > the watts (heat input) is on;y going to control your vapor speed,
      > which shouldn't really matter as long as your column width can handle
      > it without choking. It sound like you just need to reflux more. Give
      > us a better description of your still, column, and distillation process.
      >
      > -Tyler
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I"m confused. All the variable element sizes in the world won't
      > > allow you to control the temperature. You'll get one output and
      > that's it.
      > > However, if you use something like a variac transformer to control
      > > wattage and a decent digital thermometer just below your condenser
      > > then you can finetune the system so you'll get a pretty damn control
      > > over vapour temps.
      > > When mine is well set up, I can pull the foreshots and then get it to
      > > balance at about 78-79 degrees C and it stays that way for hours.
      > > As the concentration of the ethanol decreases it gets a little harder
      > > and finally when the %abv gets to about 55% I just give up and start
      > > collecting tails, if I'm collecting tails at all. If it's just
      > > neutral spirit, I do other things such as flavoring, diluting etc.
      > > At 07:31 PM 1/4/2007, you wrote:
      > >
      > > >hello every one
      > > >I have a problem with good seperation on the product of my still.
      > > >Harry said to make the column larger, which I did, two inches. That
      > > >didn`t work. I`am now going to reduce the amount of heat to the
      > > >boiler, which Harry suggested. I`am running 1380 watts, I`ve tried
      > > >750, an thats to low. Harry suggested 1000, can`t find a 1000 watt
      > > >element. I can find a 1125 watt. My question is, should I go with a
      > > >1125 watt or go even lower to a 875 watt? Any suggestions would be
      > > >greatly appreciated.
      > > >
      > > >thanks
      > > >Luke
      > > >

      > > ;-)Derek

      the column width is 2 inches, the length is 39 inches. As far as a
      variac, a good 20 amp american made variac,I`am looking at 800 to 1000
      dollars. I had a cheap one ordered, but They had problems with short
      circuits so I canceled my order. The variac came from China.
      Harry said the problem was vapor speed. When it really gets going I
      can hear it boil, some people have said it should just simmer. With
      it at full boil I get a total collection rate of 40 ml per min. I
      can`t make the column any longer or it will be in the attic. Sorry for
      the confusion I`am not the greatest communicator.

      thanks
      Luke
    • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 5, 2007
        G'day Luke,
        That $800 price for a power controller is about as silly as a bum full
        of marshmallows! You can get a good power controller heaps cheaper than
        that. I bought and imported from the UK to Australia a 13amp Sutronics
        burst fire controller http://tinyurl.com/5d4dx, bought and installed an
        aluminium casing for it, and all for less than $AU100. I bought it a few
        years ago now and the price has gone up a little bit since then. Keep in
        mind I'm no Sparkie but wiring it up was simple with a little thought
        (and a Lecky mate to just double check my work for me).
        Tell you what, send me $800 and I'll build another one for you :-)
        Is the unit liquid management or Vapour management? With the first you
        just reflux more, with the other power control or having your element
        size closely matching your columns performance is critical as that's the
        main control you have over the strength of the ethanol.
        Full boil is fine if your column can handle it efficiently.
        Any chance you can upload a pic or rough diagram of it to the pictures
        section?
        Luck mate,
        Leigh

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 5, 2007
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Murphy-Marsh, Leigh"
          <Leigh.Murphy-Marsh@...> wrote:

          > G'day Luke,
          > That $800 price for a power controller is about as silly as a bum full
          > of marshmallows! You can get a good power controller heaps cheaper than
          > that. I bought and imported from the UK to Australia a 13amp Sutronics
          > burst fire controller http://tinyurl.com/5d4dx, bought and installed an
          > aluminium casing for it, and all for less than $AU100. I bought it a few
          > years ago now and the price has gone up a little bit since then. Keep in
          > mind I'm no Sparkie but wiring it up was simple with a little thought
          > (and a Lecky mate to just double check my work for me).
          > Tell you what, send me $800 and I'll build another one for you :-)
          > Is the unit liquid management or Vapour management? With the first you
          > just reflux more, with the other power control or having your element
          > size closely matching your columns performance is critical as that's the
          > main control you have over the strength of the ethanol.
          > Full boil is fine if your column can handle it efficiently.
          > Any chance you can upload a pic or rough diagram of it to the pictures
          > section?
          > Luck mate,
          > Leigh
          >

          > the column width is 2 inches, the length is 39 inches. As far as a
          > variac, a good 20 amp american made variac,I`am looking at 800 to 1000
          > dollars. I had a cheap one ordered, but They had problems with short
          > circuits so I canceled my order. The variac came from China.
          > Harry said the problem was vapor speed. When it really gets going I
          > can hear it boil, some people have said it should just simmer. With
          > it at full boil I get a total collection rate of 40 ml per min. I
          > can`t make the column any longer or it will be in the attic. Sorry for
          > the confusion I`am not the greatest communicator.
          >
          > thanks
          > Luke
          >

          > This message and any attached files may contain information that is
          confidential and/or subject of legal privilege intended only for use
          by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or
          the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended
          recipient, be advised that you have received this message in error and
          that any dissemination, copying or use of this message or attachment
          is strictly forbidden, as is the disclosure of the information
          therein. If you have received this message in error please notify the
          sender immediately and delete the message.

          Hi Leigh
          Thanks for your advice. What size of element do you use? Does your
          BFM240-13 heat up during use?

          thanks
          Luke
        • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 5, 2007
            I have an 1380 watt Urn that has a temperature themostat built in. I set
            it for 75 degrees and walk away and do something else until the power
            light goes of. Then I turn the Urn up full bore and hang around until it
            starts to boil at which point I then plug in my controller and control
            power using that. Lights dim a little, Lights bright, Lights dim a
            little, Lights bright...... Makes me wonder whether the people in the
            other units wonder what the hells going on with their lights!
            I found the unit does heat up quite a lot if you run the power through
            it full blast until the mash starts to boil. Under normal on/off
            operation conditions though it only warms up a little bit and the
            aluminium case does a great job as a heatsink.
            One of the venerable masters here said the unit should work fine without
            any casing but I felt uneasy about having exposed 240 volt wires around
            the house (with little fingers around) so set up a simple plug and play
            aluminium case for it.
            My local home brew shop here sells power controllers for around $80 to
            $AU100 or so. Can't tell you exactly what they are though as I haven't
            really needed to buy one therefore checking them out hasn't been high on
            my list of priorities.

          • mavnkaf
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 6, 2007
              Leigh,

              Could you please draw or explain how you installed the BFM 240-13
              unit into the casing? You know, where the wires goes from here to
              there type of stuff and the extra bits that one needs to assemble the
              controller? Also some pic's? Put the results in the files section so
              all the willing can see it? I know all this takes time work but it
              would help me and others greatly. This is the one thing that is
              holding me back, A good voltage controller. Needless to say I am A/C
              Stupid/afraid to do it with out directions. BTW I do have sparkie
              mate too but does not understand the burst fire thing, hes old school
              I guess.

              Cheers
              Marc

              <Leigh.Murphy-Marsh@...> wrote:

              > G'day Luke,
              > That $800 price for a power controller is about as silly as a bum
              full
              > of marshmallows! You can get a good power controller heaps cheaper
              than
              > that. I bought and imported from the UK to Australia a 13amp
              Sutronics
              > burst fire controller http://tinyurl.com/5d4dx, bought and
              installed an
              > aluminium casing for it, and all for less than $AU100. I bought it
              a few
              > years ago now and the price has gone up a little bit since then.
              Keep in
              > mind I'm no Sparkie but wiring it up was simple with a little
              thought
              > (and a Lecky mate to just double check my work for me).
              > Tell you what, send me $800 and I'll build another one for you :-)
              > Is the unit liquid management or Vapour management? With the first
              you
              > just reflux more, with the other power control or having your
              element
              > size closely matching your columns performance is critical as
              that's the
              > main control you have over the strength of the ethanol.
              > Full boil is fine if your column can handle it efficiently.
              > Any chance you can upload a pic or rough diagram of it to the
              pictures
              > section?
              > Luck mate,
              > Leigh
              >

              > the column width is 2 inches, the length is 39 inches. As far as a
              > variac, a good 20 amp american made variac,I`am looking at 800 to
              1000
              > dollars. I had a cheap one ordered, but They had problems with short
              > circuits so I canceled my order. The variac came from China.
              > Harry said the problem was vapor speed. When it really gets going I
              > can hear it boil, some people have said it should just simmer. With
              > it at full boil I get a total collection rate of 40 ml per min. I
              > can`t make the column any longer or it will be in the attic. Sorry
              for
              > the confusion I`am not the greatest communicator.
              >
              > thanks
              > Luke
            • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 6, 2007
                No worries Marc.
                It will have to wait until Friday though. I work away and don't get back
                until Thursday. I'll post a diagram and a coupla pics. The units are all
                self contained and all you need to do is put your power in and your
                power out wires to wire the device up. Believe me when I say it's a
                pretty simple task. If you have sparkie mate he'll find it a breeze.
                I'll post photos of the internals of mine on Friday and you can make up
                your own mind whether you want to do it or not.
                Cheers,
                Leigh.