RE: [new_distillers] Re: recycling cooling water

  • Robert N
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007

      Find a plastic 44 imp gallon (200 litre) second hand drum cut the top off, or at least open it up enough to insert the pump. I actually fit a car radiator to the return line and sit it above the drum so the water drops out of the radiator into the drum. The breeze usually cools the water enough, but on hot days I place a pedestal fan from the shed in front of the radiator. I have found that pumps have a much shortened life span if the cooling water temperature is prolonged above 50Celcius. And don’t be shy at spending money on the pump as there is nothing worse than the pump going firrrtttt early on a Sunday morning as you are setting up to do an honest days work tending the still and the pump shop is closed.

      Drop some sodium bi-metasulphate (sterilizing powder) or some pool chlorine into the water to keep the water from going off. Water keeps for months this way.

      Obviously if you have a swimming pool then you would use it instead of the drum. J

      Yours in Spirit

      Robert

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@...>
        wrote:

        Try explaining that "pool filter" to your neigbors!

        Tip one, Morgan