Re: [new_distillers] Re: Switching fermentors

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
      I don't quite understand this. Carbon Dioxide is heavier than air.
      It bubbles up in a carboy because of pressure not weight.
      When I do an extended cold maceration in winemaking I put a cloud of
      carbon dioxide (bottled) over the wine. I replenish it each day.
      This allows me to protect the wine which is fermenting at low
      temperature. This brings out more color, tannins and other stuff
      from the skins making for a more complex wine.
      24 hours after displacing the air a match still goes out immediately
      at least half way down into the fermenter.
      The loss in the top half is only due to normal interaction between
      the CO2 and outside air across a muslin vapour l cover. The only
      reason that is there is to keep the %&*)@$# fruit flies out.
      So, unless I missed something, I'd say just siphon it off without
      disturbing too much of the cruditis in the bottom.
      At 07:00 AM 1/2/2007, you wrote:

      >On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 08:24 +0000, surya9375 wrote:
      > > If the mash is still bubbling you could take the tube in the air lock
      > > and push it into the carboy. The air that comes out the air lock is
      > > CO2. say after an hour or 2 the carboy would be filled with CO2. then
      > > you can transfer the mash. But as CO2 is lighter, unless you have
      > > another air lock on the carboy. I guess the CO2 would just fly out the
      > > carboy.
      > > AND disturbing the yeast does bring some off-flavours, so try
      > > syphoning without disturbing the mash as much as possible. Like said
      > > keep the outlet as close to the bottom of the carboy.
      > >
      > > Regards
      > > Surya.
      >snip
      >
      >CO2 is HEAVIER than air!
      >
      >Darald

      ;-)Derek
    • surya9375
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Darald Bantel <o1bigtenor@...>
        wrote:

        > On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 08:24 +0000, surya9375 wrote:
        > > If the mash is still bubbling you could take the tube in the air lock
        > > and push it into the carboy. The air that comes out the air lock is
        > > CO2. say after an hour or 2 the carboy would be filled with CO2. then
        > > you can transfer the mash. But as CO2 is lighter, unless you have
        > > another air lock on the carboy. I guess the CO2 would just fly out the
        > > carboy.
        > > AND disturbing the yeast does bring some off-flavours, so try
        > > syphoning without disturbing the mash as much as possible. Like said
        > > keep the outlet as close to the bottom of the carboy.
        > >
        > > Regards
        > > Surya.
        > snip
        >
        > CO2 is HEAVIER than air!
        >
        > Darald

        OOPS. Truly sorry. :-D Hydrogen was in mind (what was I thinking). Yes
        your right. Thanks for pointing that out Darald. But you would still
        need an air lock as it mixes with the atmosphere quite eaisly.