Re: [new_distillers] Re: reflux and rum

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hold up there with the Commandments!
      As Surya suggests, it is easier to get rum from a pot still, but that
      is not the way that most rum is produced these days. I have had easily
      as good results from a fully tuned (but "sloppily" run) reflux still as
      I have by removing all packing.
      Check Harry's site (The Library, tastylime, or whatever in links: look
      for the Arroya patent paper).
      good luck!
      Rob.

      --- surya9375 <surya9375@...> wrote:

      > Yeps, it would strip off all the flovour. but if you already got one.
      > you could try removing all the packing and firing it up. it might let
      > in some of the flavours.
      >
      > Regards
      > Surya
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "scuba_duder"
      > <scuba_duder@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > If im using a reflux still, is it possible to make any spirits
      > other
      > > than vodka and gin? I want to try rum, will my reflux still strip
      > all
      > > the flavor away?

      Cheers,
      Rob.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ian Kent
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 2, 2007
        I use a reflux still @ 92%ABV to produce rum that is full of flavour.
        Don't underestimate the power of molasses.

        Ian...

        On 1/2/07, surya9375 <surya9375@...> wrote:

        > Yeps, it would strip off all the flovour. but if you already got one.
        > you could try removing all the packing and firing it up. it might let
        > in some of the flavours.
        >
        > Regards
        > Surya
      • morganfield1
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 2, 2007
          Since I made my new still with an N/S head (about a year ago), I've
          used it to make all my whiskeys and rums. I put a couple of scrubbers
          at the base to catch the fusel oils,but that's optional. I set the
          needle valve to get around 90%. I find it alot easier to control the
          final taste because you have more control of the tales (tasty parts),
          but it takes trial and error. JM2C
          Tip one,
          Morgan

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Kent" <kegscruiser@...>