Re: Switching fermentors

  • surya9375
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
      If the mash is still bubbling you could take the tube in the air lock
      and push it into the carboy. The air that comes out the air lock is
      CO2. say after an hour or 2 the carboy would be filled with CO2. then
      you can transfer the mash. But as CO2 is lighter, unless you have
      another air lock on the carboy. I guess the CO2 would just fly out the
      carboy.
      AND disturbing the yeast does bring some off-flavours, so try
      syphoning without disturbing the mash as much as possible. Like said
      keep the outlet as close to the bottom of the carboy.

      Regards
      Surya.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wheeler" <riodutchie@...>
      wrote:

      > Howdy Bill,
      >
      > That's an interesting question. I think that the only issue you'd be
      > risking is oxygenating your brew. How long has the mash(es) been
      bubbling?
      > If there's a layer of yeast in the bottom, you might want to shake
      it up a
      > bit before transferring, but other than that, you aught to be fine
      moving it
      > into a clean and sterilized pair of carboys. If you have any method of
      > driving oxygen out of them beforehand, maybe consider that, but if
      not, I
      > don't think you would have any major adverse effects. Perhaps try
      and keep
      > the end of the transfer hose as close to the bottom of the glass
      vessels as
      > possible to reduce the oxygen contact, but other than that, I think you
      > could go for it.
      > Of course, if someone says, "Dear god, don't do that!" please listen to
      > them. I'm still learning and trying to participate =)
      >
      > Good Luck!
      >
      > ---John
      >
      > On 12/30/06, peatreakmann <peat_reak@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi y'al,
      > >
      > > More questions from a forward moving newbie...
      > >
      > > I have (2) 6-gallon plastic primaries full of mash that was
      started two
      > > days ago and is bubbling quite nicely.
      > >
      > > My question is if I were to transfer the mash (syphon) over to glass
      > > carboys, would this disturb my batch?
      > >
      > > The reason for wanting yo do this is to utilize the 6-gal. buckets for
      > > fermenting the left over corn and grain from my original batch with
      > > Harry's reccomended recipe.
      > >
      > > Thanks for your help already, I'm off to a good start.
      > >
      > > Bill

    • Darald Bantel
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
        On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 08:24 +0000, surya9375 wrote:
        > If the mash is still bubbling you could take the tube in the air lock
        > and push it into the carboy. The air that comes out the air lock is
        > CO2. say after an hour or 2 the carboy would be filled with CO2. then
        > you can transfer the mash. But as CO2 is lighter, unless you have
        > another air lock on the carboy. I guess the CO2 would just fly out the
        > carboy.
        > AND disturbing the yeast does bring some off-flavours, so try
        > syphoning without disturbing the mash as much as possible. Like said
        > keep the outlet as close to the bottom of the carboy.
        >
        > Regards
        > Surya.
        snip

        CO2 is HEAVIER than air!

        Darald
      • Derek Hamlet
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
          I don't quite understand this. Carbon Dioxide is heavier than air.
          It bubbles up in a carboy because of pressure not weight.
          When I do an extended cold maceration in winemaking I put a cloud of
          carbon dioxide (bottled) over the wine. I replenish it each day.
          This allows me to protect the wine which is fermenting at low
          temperature. This brings out more color, tannins and other stuff
          from the skins making for a more complex wine.
          24 hours after displacing the air a match still goes out immediately
          at least half way down into the fermenter.
          The loss in the top half is only due to normal interaction between
          the CO2 and outside air across a muslin vapour l cover. The only
          reason that is there is to keep the %&*)@$# fruit flies out.
          So, unless I missed something, I'd say just siphon it off without
          disturbing too much of the cruditis in the bottom.
          At 07:00 AM 1/2/2007, you wrote:

          >On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 08:24 +0000, surya9375 wrote:
          > > If the mash is still bubbling you could take the tube in the air lock
          > > and push it into the carboy. The air that comes out the air lock is
          > > CO2. say after an hour or 2 the carboy would be filled with CO2. then
          > > you can transfer the mash. But as CO2 is lighter, unless you have
          > > another air lock on the carboy. I guess the CO2 would just fly out the
          > > carboy.
          > > AND disturbing the yeast does bring some off-flavours, so try
          > > syphoning without disturbing the mash as much as possible. Like said
          > > keep the outlet as close to the bottom of the carboy.
          > >
          > > Regards
          > > Surya.
          >snip
          >
          >CO2 is HEAVIER than air!
          >
          >Darald

          ;-)Derek
        • surya9375
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Darald Bantel <o1bigtenor@...>
            wrote:

            > On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 08:24 +0000, surya9375 wrote:
            > > If the mash is still bubbling you could take the tube in the air lock
            > > and push it into the carboy. The air that comes out the air lock is
            > > CO2. say after an hour or 2 the carboy would be filled with CO2. then
            > > you can transfer the mash. But as CO2 is lighter, unless you have
            > > another air lock on the carboy. I guess the CO2 would just fly out the
            > > carboy.
            > > AND disturbing the yeast does bring some off-flavours, so try
            > > syphoning without disturbing the mash as much as possible. Like said
            > > keep the outlet as close to the bottom of the carboy.
            > >
            > > Regards
            > > Surya.
            > snip
            >
            > CO2 is HEAVIER than air!
            >
            > Darald

            OOPS. Truly sorry. :-D Hydrogen was in mind (what was I thinking). Yes
            your right. Thanks for pointing that out Darald. But you would still
            need an air lock as it mixes with the atmosphere quite eaisly.