Re: reflux and rum

  • surya9375
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 2, 2007
      Yeps, it would strip off all the flovour. but if you already got one.
      you could try removing all the packing and firing it up. it might let
      in some of the flavours.

      Regards
      Surya

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "scuba_duder" <scuba_duder@...>
      wrote:

      > If im using a reflux still, is it possible to make any spirits other
      > than vodka and gin? I want to try rum, will my reflux still strip all
      > the flavor away?

    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 2, 2007
        Hold up there with the Commandments!
        As Surya suggests, it is easier to get rum from a pot still, but that
        is not the way that most rum is produced these days. I have had easily
        as good results from a fully tuned (but "sloppily" run) reflux still as
        I have by removing all packing.
        Check Harry's site (The Library, tastylime, or whatever in links: look
        for the Arroya patent paper).
        good luck!
        Rob.

        --- surya9375 <surya9375@...> wrote:

        > Yeps, it would strip off all the flovour. but if you already got one.
        > you could try removing all the packing and firing it up. it might let
        > in some of the flavours.
        >
        > Regards
        > Surya
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "scuba_duder"
        > <scuba_duder@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > If im using a reflux still, is it possible to make any spirits
        > other
        > > than vodka and gin? I want to try rum, will my reflux still strip
        > all
        > > the flavor away?

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Ian Kent
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 2, 2007
          I use a reflux still @ 92%ABV to produce rum that is full of flavour.
          Don't underestimate the power of molasses.

          Ian...

          On 1/2/07, surya9375 <surya9375@...> wrote:

          > Yeps, it would strip off all the flovour. but if you already got one.
          > you could try removing all the packing and firing it up. it might let
          > in some of the flavours.
          >
          > Regards
          > Surya
        • morganfield1
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 2, 2007
            Since I made my new still with an N/S head (about a year ago), I've
            used it to make all my whiskeys and rums. I put a couple of scrubbers
            at the base to catch the fusel oils,but that's optional. I set the
            needle valve to get around 90%. I find it alot easier to control the
            final taste because you have more control of the tales (tasty parts),
            but it takes trial and error. JM2C
            Tip one,
            Morgan

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Kent" <kegscruiser@...>