making a still in afhanistan

  • bandit_golfer
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2007
      i am deploying in a few weeks to a souther province of afghanistan
      with the 158th INF as part of Operation Enduring Freedom. are biggest
      problem is that it is a dry country..and anything we could might
      possibly buy from the locals carries teh risk that it may have been
      tampered or poisioned. ive been reading up on making still and
      possibly trying to make ferment some sugar and flavoring it with some
      of the fruit we might get at the chow hall. i have 2 issues i would
      like any possible help with.

      1 We wont have access to that many metal cans...all of our 5 galllon
      water buckets are plastic, so any helpful information of how to best
      make a still out of pure plastic without an immersion heater... and

      2 we dont need 5 gallons at a time. it would ban an extremelybad idea
      to have a few gallons of alcohol lying around the tent..... so some
      way of doing this to make 1-2 liters at a time.

      right now your probbly saying that maybe we might not need to drink
      while we are their...and during missions and patrols you are right,
      but for the 1 or 2 nights a month that we might not have to work or
      patrol the next day this would be a a huge blessing. after all, you
      can get buy with out the neccessaties in life as long as you have the
      little luxuries. if no one wants to help thats fine, but we will find
      out eventually, even if it means buying it froma local and risking
      that it was been fouled. just seems to me it would be beter for
      everyone if we had a way to produce a small quantity of alcohol by
      ourselves. thank you!!
    • joe giffen
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
        HI,
        What you need is the mini still by bokakob, you will find loads about it on the group site.It uses a stockpot as it,s boiler and will make your 1-2 ltrs.at a time. You will also need a supply of sugar and turbo yeast which you can ferment in a 5gal. plastic bucket. I do not know how much you know about distilling but this is about as basic a reflux still that will produce 90/95%abv.pure alcohol (vodka). An alternative would be if your unit chip in with the necessary dosh you could buy a PDA still from the amphora society or one of the small stills you will find on the  homedistillers org.site in the stills for sale section.
        Hope this helps.
        God bless and keep safe

        bandit_golfer <parsaver007@...> wrote:
[...]

        Regards
        Joe

      • Benjamin Domingo Bof
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
          Mate, I´m placed in a tent road side the to Amazonian region 200 kilometer from São Paulo state.We have an four wheels horses carriage .We like tents and I dream with an "command tent". I have a little solar distiller make from half gallon PET bottle  into six inches PVC tube  covered with glass an half part to permit solar heating and set aluminium foil under bottle. Be careful with sunshine it boils and can melt. The wash we made from sugar cane syrup but is possible to do with any mash. In one gallon iron can(tomato paste) we set a coil of copper tube of 3/16 dia welded with phoscop. This elements probably you find in refrigeration shop. Benjamin

          bandit_golfer <parsaver007@...> escribió:
[...]

          Correo Yahoo!

        • mr done
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
            Regards! First thanks for the job you're doing, and
            for the sacrifices. I'm also a vet and know the
            hardships one needs to endure. Again Thanks.
            As to your questions, a few thoughts:
            Can you get your hands on a tea kettle? a rubber
            stopper, and some tubing? (a meat thermometer also).
            A couple of holes in the stopper - one for the
            thermometer and one for the hose and some slow heat,
            should get you going...
            Better idea would be to find some copper pot, or ?
            that you could use rather that the steel/alum of a tea
            kettle. (they cloud up product) Hell, think like a
            hillbilly!
            Wouldn't the locals have teakettles of copper? motor
            pool for hoses, or hospital unit?
            I'm sure there is a way -seems the will is there
            lol!
            Good luck (in all endevors there) and let me know if
            ya need anything from this end..

            --- Benjamin Domingo Bof <benjaminbof@...>

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Benjamin Domingo Bof
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
              Mr Done; probably tomorrow we take pictures to send to you of our device . This is for creativity  growing of group members. Benjamin

              --- Benjamin Domingo Bof <benjaminbof@ yahoo.com. ar>
              wrote:

              > Mate, I´m placed in a tent road side the to
              > Amazonian region 200 kilometer from São Paulo
              > state.We have an four wheels horses carriage .We
              > like tents and I dream with an "command tent". I
              > have a little solar distiller make from half gallon
              > PET bottle into six inches PVC tube covered with
              > glass an half part to permit solar heating and set
              > aluminium foil under bottle. Be careful with
              > sunshine it boils and can melt. The wash we made
              > from sugar cane syrup but is possible to do with any
              > mash. In one gallon iron can(tomato paste) we set a
              > coil of copper tube of 3/16 dia welded with phoscop.
              > This elements probably you find in refrigeration
              > shop. Benjamin
              >
              > bandit_golfer <parsaver007@ hotmail.com> escribió:
              > i am deploying in a few weeks to a souther
              > province of afghanistan
              > with the 158th INF as part of Operation Enduring
              > Freedom. are biggest
              > problem is that it is a dry country..and anything we
              > could might
              > possibly buy from the locals carries teh risk that
              > it may have been
              > tampered or poisioned. ive been reading up on making
              > still and
              > possibly trying to make ferment some sugar and
              > flavoring it with some
              > of the fruit we might get at the chow hall. i have 2
              > issues i would
              > like any possible help with.
              >
              > 1 We wont have access to that many metal cans...all
              > of our 5 galllon
              > water buckets are plastic, so any helpful
              > information of how to best
              > make a still out of pure plastic without an
              > immersion heater... and
              >
              > 2 we dont need 5 gallons at a time. it would ban an
              > extremelybad idea
              > to have a few gallons of alcohol lying around the
              > tent..... so some
              > way of doing this to make 1-2 liters at a time.
              >
              > right now your probbly saying that maybe we might
              > not need to drink
              > while we are their...and during missions and patrols
              > you are right,
              > but for the 1 or 2 nights a month that we might not
              > have to work or
              > patrol the next day this would be a a huge blessing.
              > after all, you
              > can get buy with out the neccessaties in life as
              > long as you have the
              > little luxuries. if no one wants to help thats fine,
              > but we will find
              > out eventually, even if it means buying it froma
              > local and risking
              > that it was been fouled. just seems to me it would
              > be beter for
              > everyone if we had a way to produce a small quantity
              > of alcohol by
              > ourselves. thank you!!

              > Correo Yahoo!
              > Espacio para todos tus mensajes, antivirus y
              > antispam ¡gratis!
              > ¡Abrí tu cuenta ya! - http://correo. yahoo.com. ar

              Do You Yahoo!?
              http://mail. yahoo.com

              Correo Yahoo!

            • joe giffen
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
                HI,
                I suppose I should have asked what you can take with you,Perhaps you could let us know?.
                I know that in afghanistan there is a long history of making copper pots etc. Maybe all you need to take is a coil, a needle valve and some small bits and pieces.

                wrote:

> [...]
                > not need to drink
                > while we are their...and during missions and patrols
                > you are right,
                > but for the 1 or 2 nights a month that we might not
                > have to work or
                > patrol the next day this would be a a huge blessing.
                > after all, you
                > can get buy with out the neccessaties in life as
                > long as you have the
                > little luxuries. if no one wants to help thats fine,
                > but we will find
                > out eventually, even if it means buying it froma
                > local and risking
                > that it was been fouled. just seems to me it would
                > be beter for
                > everyone if we had a way to produce a small quantity
                > of alcohol by
                > ourselves. thank you!!

                > Correo Yahoo!
                > Espacio para todos tus mensajes, antivirus y

              • Link D'Antoni
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
                  If there is ice (?) you could make a 'disapearing
                  still' using a pot and a few pans.(Alaskan Bootlegger)
                  You can get around 52-55% on the first run. I've
                  taught several the basic art with this method.

                  Link

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • marquee.moon
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                    Bandit golfer, best wishes for your deployment.

                    You could try the "Spiral still", for which you'll need:

                    A food grade bucket with tight lid
                    a small water heating element- the type you put into a mug to make a
                    hot drink
                    a few feet of half inch (15mm)copper pipe
                    silicone gasket sealant (lots of…)
                    Insulation (a blanket, sleeping bag, or something like that)

                    The concept: Water proof the element with gasket sealant, and drop it
                    into your insulated bucket (seal the hole it passes through with
                    silicone). The bucket is half full with fermented sugar wash (if you
                    use sugar wash, you wont need to worry about splitting out the
                    methanol because there's hardly any in sugar wash). The vapour rises
                    from the slowly heated liquid and passes into a copper coil, (also
                    attached to the lid with sealant). It slowly rises up the copper
                    coil. As it does so, it undergoes further distillations, becoming
                    stronger every time. The purified vapours finally reaches the top of
                    the coil, then turn a corner and enter a downward coil, were they
                    cool down and condense into liquor, dripping out of the bottom to be
                    collected.

                    Its not fast. But it is simple, cheap and safe.

                    It's described fully in the alcohol library (link below). Look for
                    the link that says "build a spiral still".
                    http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Listings2.htm#Books%20Listings
                  • unmil_jmac
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
                      BG,

                      I'm just finishing up a deployment myself -- Liberia this time. I
                      haven't seen all the responses you've received, but I can say that
                      this should be do-able. We made a very small still out of a 8 quart
                      pot and some copper line. Usable parts were VERY hard to find here,
                      so I recommend you take things with you like compression fittings
                      (we used rubber grommets), specific gravity tester (we did without),
                      and a decent thermometer. We really had to scramble here to get it
                      all together. The results have been good, and we've typically
                      gotten a little over a pint from a given run (the calculator says it
                      should be a little more, but we have a crappy pot and haven't been
                      able to get a perfect seal no matter how we try).

                      Best of luck out there -- with the still and otherwise. Be safe.

                      Fly Navy!

                      Matt

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bandit_golfer"
                      <parsaver007@...> wrote:

                      > i am deploying in a few weeks to a souther province of afghanistan
                      > with the 158th INF as part of Operation Enduring Freedom. are
                      biggest
                      > problem is that it is a dry country..and anything we could might
                      > possibly buy from the locals carries teh risk that it may have
                      been
                      > tampered or poisioned. ive been reading up on making still and
                      > possibly trying to make ferment some sugar and flavoring it with
                      some
                      > of the fruit we might get at the chow hall. i have 2 issues i
                      would
                      > like any possible help with.
                      >
                      > 1 We wont have access to that many metal cans...all of our 5
                      galllon
                      > water buckets are plastic, so any helpful information of how to
                      best
                      > make a still out of pure plastic without an immersion heater... and
                      >
                      > 2 we dont need 5 gallons at a time. it would ban an extremelybad
                      idea
                      > to have a few gallons of alcohol lying around the tent..... so
                      some
                      > way of doing this to make 1-2 liters at a time.
                      >
                      > right now your probbly saying that maybe we might not need to
                      drink
                      > while we are their...and during missions and patrols you are
                      right,
                      > but for the 1 or 2 nights a month that we might not have to work
                      or
                      > patrol the next day this would be a a huge blessing. after all,
                      you
                      > can get buy with out the neccessaties in life as long as you have
                      the
                      > little luxuries. if no one wants to help thats fine, but we will
                      find
                      > out eventually, even if it means buying it froma local and
                      risking
                      > that it was been fouled. just seems to me it would be beter for
                      > everyone if we had a way to produce a small quantity of alcohol by
                      > ourselves. thank you!!

                    • surya9375
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
                        Hi
                        I'll try to help you out but it looks like your restrictions are

                        1, No access to metal.
                        This way you cant boil anything on fire.

                        2, To make it in small quantities.

                        The second point is easy. Just ferment 10 liters and you can distill
                        1-1.5 liters out of it.

                        But the first point is a problem. You do need to boil the washt. if
                        you can suspend a immersion heater into the bucket incontact with the
                        wash but not touching the plastic then your good (use a string or
                        whatever). That would work without destroying the plastic. But other
                        than that?????
                        You NEED to boil the wash.

                        To make things intresting you need to find a way for the ferment to
                        happen. Cause I think its preety hot out where your going.
                        Fermentation is not too good in high temperatures.

                        BUT all hope is not lost you could always drop in the yeast into a
                        fruit juice or barliy wort or whatever you like, filter it out and you
                        get some thing like a beer. Just keep it in a cool place.

                        Keep safe.
                        Regards
                        Surya.

                        <parsaver007@...> wrote:

                        > i am deploying in a few weeks to a souther province of afghanistan
                        > with the 158th INF as part of Operation Enduring Freedom. are biggest
                        > problem is that it is a dry country..and anything we could might
                        > possibly buy from the locals carries teh risk that it may have been
                        > tampered or poisioned. ive been reading up on making still and
                        > possibly trying to make ferment some sugar and flavoring it with some
                        > of the fruit we might get at the chow hall. i have 2 issues i would
                        > like any possible help with.
                        >
                        > 1 We wont have access to that many metal cans...all of our 5 galllon
                        > water buckets are plastic, so any helpful information of how to best
                        > make a still out of pure plastic without an immersion heater... and
                        >
                        > 2 we dont need 5 gallons at a time. it would ban an extremelybad idea
                        > to have a few gallons of alcohol lying around the tent..... so some
                        > way of doing this to make 1-2 liters at a time.
                        >
                        > right now your probbly saying that maybe we might not need to drink
                        > while we are their...and during missions and patrols you are right,
                        > but for the 1 or 2 nights a month that we might not have to work or
                        > patrol the next day this would be a a huge blessing. after all, you
                        > can get buy with out the neccessaties in life as long as you have the
                        > little luxuries. if no one wants to help thats fine, but we will find
                        > out eventually, even if it means buying it froma local and risking
                        > that it was been fouled. just seems to me it would be beter for
                        > everyone if we had a way to produce a small quantity of alcohol by
                        > ourselves. thank you!!

                      • trublu
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
                          Hi Bandit
                          I can understand your problem and sympathise. To make safe drinkable
                          booze is very simple. and no distilling is needed. Just take a
                          plastic bottle of any fruit juice,two litre is good, make certain it
                          does NOT contain PRESERVATIVE ,remove enough , say about 1/10 add
                          some sugar an amount to suit the strength required say two or cups
                          dissolved in hot water then add yeast about a 1/2 to one teaspoon
                          full shake the bottle then seal with cling plastic film ,you can use
                          a rubber band or string, then carefully puncture the plastic film
                          with a small hole to let out the gas ,keep the bottle about body
                          heat until it stops bubbing, hide in your swag. Desperate blokes I
                          know [self
                          included] have drank it after only 2/3 days ,but for more kick let it
                          stop bubbling, about a week or so. There is a firm here in Oz that
                          makes a kit with special tops that fit a variety of bottles all with
                          tiny slits in the plastic seal and full directions including
                          yeast..about Au $20.00. makes a nice fruit sparkling wine for the
                          discerning conasure . Contact www.oztops.com.au
                          Be salam ati, Nush trublu

                          In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, mr done <marshal7002@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > tent..... so some
                          > > way of doing this to make 1-2 liters at a time.
                          > >
                          > > right now your probbly saying that maybe we might
                          > > not need to drink
                          > > while we are their...and during missions and patrols
                          > > you are right,
                          > > but for the 1 or 2 nights a month that we might not
                          > > have to work or
                          > > patrol the next day this would be a a huge blessing.
                          > > after all, you
                          > > can get buy with out the neccessaties in life as
                          > > long as you have the
                          > > little luxuries. if no one wants to help thats fine,
                          > > but we will find
                          > > out eventually, even if it means buying it froma
                          > > local and risking
                          > > that it was been fouled. just seems to me it would
                          > > be beter for
                          > > everyone if we had a way to produce a small quantity

                        • bandit_golfer
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 5, 2007
                            THanks for the great ideas, im sure ill have access to a some sort of
                            metal pots, and if not teh 2 litre sounds like a great idea....a little
                            irony... we packed our footlockers with personal supllies today...to
                            meet us there, and this poor fellow had 2 quart size bottles of scope
                            that were vodka and peppermint schnapps....wasnt a good day for him.
                            thanks again and ill keep checking back
                          • bandit_golfer
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 5, 2007
                              Thanks everyone for your ideas. not to much i can take in the way ofthe
                              pieces, im limited on space , and dotn want to atract to much attention
                              right away. you said i need to boil the wash...that is before i add the
                              yeast correct? My roomate is sending some EV1118 ( i think thats
                              right) yeast and hes going to disguise it in a protien shake mix
                              bottle...the stuff you get at a health food store if your trying to
                              bulk up. its going to be freezing in the winter and over 100 in the
                              summer (40celcius) so im pretty sure ill have to keep it indoors
                              somewhere for the better part of the year im should have some access to
                              sterno cans for a heat source and ice as well.

                              thanks for all the help
                            • Jan Wouter
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
                                My guess is thatteh easiest way would be making a bucket still. With
                                the desert heat you should be able to operate it without additional
                                heating.

                                http://web.telia.com/~u85920178/booze/spirit.htm

                                Jan Wouter