Re: [new_distillers] recycling cooling water

  • Andrew Bugal
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
      I use a 75 litre holding tank for my cooling water and use a submersible pond pump to move the water through the condensor coil.

      I added another condensor coil/shell under the main condensor output to further cool the water coming out of the coil.  I fill it with water to keep it cool.  Also, I have several 1.25 litre bottles of frozen water in a cooler which I throw into my cooling water as needed,

      Bwyze

      arekayinc <arekayinc@...> wrote:
      Hi all,

      I'm using a pump to recycle my cooling water in 20 L buckets and I'm
      finding that it just heats up too fast. Every 30-40 min. I have to
      switch buckets - giving me extra work and too much tending to the
      still. Dumping ice doesn't change the temperature by much (it takes a
      lot of ice).

      Any solutions to this?

      Thanks.

    • Trid
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "arekayinc" <arekayinc@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I'm using a pump to recycle my cooling water in 20 L buckets and I'm
        > finding that it just heats up too fast. Every 30-40 min. I have to
        > switch buckets - giving me extra work and too much tending to the
        > still. Dumping ice doesn't change the temperature by much (it takes
        > lot of ice).
        >
        > Any solutions to this?

        Honestly, you need a larger reservoir.
        I use a 30 gallon barrel as my reservoir. It will handle a 2 hour
        stripping run (4 gal/15L wash) without getting too hot. I did a 3
        hour polishing run on 2 1/2 gallons and had to refill it once towards
        the end.
        Of course, YMMV, and conditions may dictate other actions and sizes.
        If you have some sort of radiator where you can cool the cooling
        water, then you may never have to change the water after reaching an
        equilibrium temperature...or at least have to change it less
        frequently. This would be far more practical outdoors or in a garage
        than it would be in a kitchen, though.

        Trid
        -yikes, run's done...I need to let the ferment go longer next time...
      • bnorth312002
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
          I use a 50 gallon plastic tote that I bought at Walmart for a few
          dollars. It is a little on the floppy side, but it hold enough water
          for a 12 gallon striping run through a propane heated continuous
          still, after 7 hours the temperature of the cooling water is still
          cool enough for the condenser.

          Brian

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Trid" <triddlywinks@...> wrote:

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "arekayinc" <arekayinc@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I'm using a pump to recycle my cooling water in 20 L buckets and I'm
          > > finding that it just heats up too fast. Every 30-40 min. I have to
          > > switch buckets - giving me extra work and too much tending to the
          > > still. Dumping ice doesn't change the temperature by much (it takes
          > > lot of ice).
          > >
          > > Any solutions to this?
          >
          > Honestly, you need a larger reservoir.
          > I use a 30 gallon barrel as my reservoir. It will handle a 2 hour
          > stripping run (4 gal/15L wash) without getting too hot. I did a 3
          > hour polishing run on 2 1/2 gallons and had to refill it once towards
          > the end.
          > Of course, YMMV, and conditions may dictate other actions and sizes.
          > If you have some sort of radiator where you can cool the cooling
          > water, then you may never have to change the water after reaching an
          > equilibrium temperature...or at least have to change it less
          > frequently. This would be far more practical outdoors or in a garage
          > than it would be in a kitchen, though.
          >
          > Trid
          > -yikes, run's done...I need to let the ferment go longer next time...

        • Robert N
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007

            Find a plastic 44 imp gallon (200 litre) second hand drum cut the top off, or at least open it up enough to insert the pump. I actually fit a car radiator to the return line and sit it above the drum so the water drops out of the radiator into the drum. The breeze usually cools the water enough, but on hot days I place a pedestal fan from the shed in front of the radiator. I have found that pumps have a much shortened life span if the cooling water temperature is prolonged above 50Celcius. And don’t be shy at spending money on the pump as there is nothing worse than the pump going firrrtttt early on a Sunday morning as you are setting up to do an honest days work tending the still and the pump shop is closed.

            Drop some sodium bi-metasulphate (sterilizing powder) or some pool chlorine into the water to keep the water from going off. Water keeps for months this way.

            Obviously if you have a swimming pool then you would use it instead of the drum. J

            Yours in Spirit

            Robert

            I use a 50 gallon plastic tote that I bought at Walmart for a few
            dollars. It is a little on the floppy side, but it hold enough water
            for a 12 gallon striping run through a propane heated continuous
            still, after 7 hours the temperature of the cooling water is still
            cool enough for the condenser.

            Brian

            --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "Trid" <triddlywinks@ ...> wrote:

            > --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com,
            "arekayinc" <arekayinc@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all,
            > >
            > > I'm using a pump to recycle my cooling water in 20 L buckets and I'm
            > > finding that it just heats up too fast. Every 30-40 min. I have to
            > > switch buckets - giving me extra work and too much tending to the
            > > still. Dumping ice doesn't change the temperature by much (it takes
            > > lot of ice).
            > >
            > > Any solutions to this?
            >
            > Honestly, you need a larger reservoir.
            > I use a 30 gallon barrel as my reservoir. It will handle a 2 hour
            > stripping run (4 gal/15L wash) without getting too hot. I did a 3
            > hour polishing run on 2 1/2 gallons and had to refill it once towards
            > the end.
            > Of course, YMMV, and conditions may dictate other actions and sizes.
            > If you have some sort of radiator where you can cool the cooling
            > water, then you may never have to change the water after reaching an
            > equilibrium temperature. ..or at least have to change it less
            > frequently. This would be far more practical outdoors or in a garage
            > than it would be in a kitchen, though.
            >
            > Trid
            > -yikes, run's done...I need to let the ferment go longer next time...
            > site

            .

          • morganfield1
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@...>
              wrote:

              Try explaining that "pool filter" to your neigbors!

              Tip one, Morgan