Re: recycling cooling water

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "arekayinc" <arekayinc@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I'm using a pump to recycle my cooling water in 20 L buckets and I'm
      > finding that it just heats up too fast. Every 30-40 min. I have to
      > switch buckets - giving me extra work and too much tending to the
      > still. Dumping ice doesn't change the temperature by much (it takes a
      > lot of ice).
      >
      > Any solutions to this?
      >
      > Thanks.

      Dunno how big your still is, but this works for me (25L boiler, 1400w heat input)...

    • Derek Hamlet
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
        Here's what I do.
        I have a 50 litre garbage pail for my reservoir.
        Water is pumped by a pond pump.
        As the pump sends out water it goes through an old Japanese car
        radiator that has a big Torcan fan sitting in front of it.
        The fan came from a junked oil furnace I found at the dump. I think
        the fan is driven by a belt from a 1/2 hp motor.
        The outlet from the fan is almost the exact size of the radiator
        surface so there is really good cooling.
        Because I use a X Flow condenser there is minimal resistance and I
        get good flow and good cooling.
        The fan is however noisy. I have an extra variac floating around and
        may play with that a little to reduce the fan speed/noise and try and
        find the optimal cooling vs noise level.
        It works.
        Total cost of fan and radiator = 0. I scrounged them.
        Last night I finished filtering and diluting my last batch of vodka.
        19 litres of 40%abv. I have another 46 litres of wash to run and
        then I can get a batch of corn whisky going. In fact, I now have to
        slow down as there is just too much hooch floating around the
        premises. If the revenooers walked in here I'd be hauled away faster
        than George W at a world peace conference.
        At 10:06 AM 1/1/2007, you wrote:

        >--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "arekayinc" <arekayinc@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > > I'm using a pump to recycle my cooling water in 20 L buckets and I'm
        > > finding that it just heats up too fast. Every 30-40 min. I have to
        > > switch buckets - giving me extra work and too much tending to the
        > > still. Dumping ice doesn't change the temperature by much (it takes a
        > > lot of ice).

        ;-)Derek
      • Andrew Bugal

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
            wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > I'm using a pump to recycle my cooling water in 20 L buckets and I'm
            > finding that it just heats up too fast. Every 30-40 min. I have to
            > switch buckets - giving me extra work and too much tending to the
            > still. Dumping ice doesn't change the temperature by much (it takes
            > lot of ice).
            >
            > Any solutions to this?

            Honestly, you need a larger reservoir.
            I use a 30 gallon barrel as my reservoir. It will handle a 2 hour
            stripping run (4 gal/15L wash) without getting too hot. I did a 3
            hour polishing run on 2 1/2 gallons and had to refill it once towards
            the end.
            Of course, YMMV, and conditions may dictate other actions and sizes.
            If you have some sort of radiator where you can cool the cooling
            water, then you may never have to change the water after reaching an
            equilibrium temperature...or at least have to change it less
            frequently. This would be far more practical outdoors or in a garage
            than it would be in a kitchen, though.

            Trid
            -yikes, run's done...I need to let the ferment go longer next time...
          • bnorth312002
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
              I use a 50 gallon plastic tote that I bought at Walmart for a few
              dollars. It is a little on the floppy side, but it hold enough water
              for a 12 gallon striping run through a propane heated continuous
              still, after 7 hours the temperature of the cooling water is still
              cool enough for the condenser.

              Brian

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Trid" <triddlywinks@...> wrote:

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "arekayinc" <arekayinc@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi all,
              > >
              > > I'm using a pump to recycle my cooling water in 20 L buckets and I'm
              > > finding that it just heats up too fast. Every 30-40 min. I have to
              > > switch buckets - giving me extra work and too much tending to the
              > > still. Dumping ice doesn't change the temperature by much (it takes
              > > lot of ice).
              > >
              > > Any solutions to this?
              >
              > Honestly, you need a larger reservoir.
              > I use a 30 gallon barrel as my reservoir. It will handle a 2 hour
              > stripping run (4 gal/15L wash) without getting too hot. I did a 3
              > hour polishing run on 2 1/2 gallons and had to refill it once towards
              > the end.
              > Of course, YMMV, and conditions may dictate other actions and sizes.
              > If you have some sort of radiator where you can cool the cooling
              > water, then you may never have to change the water after reaching an
              > equilibrium temperature...or at least have to change it less
              > frequently. This would be far more practical outdoors or in a garage
              > than it would be in a kitchen, though.
              >
              > Trid
              > -yikes, run's done...I need to let the ferment go longer next time...

            • Robert N
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007

                Find a plastic 44 imp gallon (200 litre) second hand drum cut the top off, or at least open it up enough to insert the pump. I actually fit a car radiator to the return line and sit it above the drum so the water drops out of the radiator into the drum. The breeze usually cools the water enough, but on hot days I place a pedestal fan from the shed in front of the radiator. I have found that pumps have a much shortened life span if the cooling water temperature is prolonged above 50Celcius. And don’t be shy at spending money on the pump as there is nothing worse than the pump going firrrtttt early on a Sunday morning as you are setting up to do an honest days work tending the still and the pump shop is closed.

                Drop some sodium bi-metasulphate (sterilizing powder) or some pool chlorine into the water to keep the water from going off. Water keeps for months this way.

                Obviously if you have a swimming pool then you would use it instead of the drum. J

                Yours in Spirit

                Robert

                I use a 50 gallon plastic tote that I bought at Walmart for a few
                dollars. It is a little on the floppy side, but it hold enough water
                for a 12 gallon striping run through a propane heated continuous
                still, after 7 hours the temperature of the cooling water is still
                cool enough for the condenser.

                Brian

                --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "Trid" <triddlywinks@ ...> wrote:

                > --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com,
                "arekayinc" <arekayinc@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi all,
                > >
                > > I'm using a pump to recycle my cooling water in 20 L buckets and I'm
                > > finding that it just heats up too fast. Every 30-40 min. I have to
                > > switch buckets - giving me extra work and too much tending to the
                > > still. Dumping ice doesn't change the temperature by much (it takes
                > > lot of ice).
                > >
                > > Any solutions to this?
                >
                > Honestly, you need a larger reservoir.
                > I use a 30 gallon barrel as my reservoir. It will handle a 2 hour
                > stripping run (4 gal/15L wash) without getting too hot. I did a 3
                > hour polishing run on 2 1/2 gallons and had to refill it once towards
                > the end.
                > Of course, YMMV, and conditions may dictate other actions and sizes.
                > If you have some sort of radiator where you can cool the cooling
                > water, then you may never have to change the water after reaching an
                > equilibrium temperature. ..or at least have to change it less
                > frequently. This would be far more practical outdoors or in a garage
                > than it would be in a kitchen, though.
                >
                > Trid
                > -yikes, run's done...I need to let the ferment go longer next time...
                > site

                .

              • morganfield1
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@...>
                  wrote:

                  Try explaining that "pool filter" to your neigbors!

                  Tip one, Morgan