Re: Need Help with high final SG w/sugar wash.

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thephantom207"
      <thephantom207@...> wrote:

      > Harry, I finally found some info on the web about this yeast as
      > described below. I more or less inherited a lb of this so I really
      > didn't just want to throw it out. I fermented at about 75F so that
      > may have been part of the problem. Would adding more nutrients hurt
      > or create some nasties in the mash that would be hard to distill
      > out? The nutrients I used were Fermax at 3gms per liter of mash.

      Never supply more nutrients than the recommended dosage that yeast can
      effectively use. Oversupply means there will be raw nutrients in your
      wash when you distil. That's a common source of the blue colour seen
      in some spirit runs (Schweitzer's reagent, caused by excess ammonia
      (the nutrients) reacting with any copper in the still).

      Try lifting the temp (heater of some sort) of the ferment to its
      recommended (95F). This may kickstart the dormant yeast. If after 2
      days the thing hasn't restarted, add about 20% more water (carefully,
      as you will displace CO2 & foam over) then repitch more yeast (NOT
      nutrient). If that fails, cut your losses & distil what you have, &
      put it down to a lessen well learned.

    • thephantom207
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
        Thanks for the help Harry and a awesome New Year to you and yours.
        Phantom