Fermenter swirch

  • peatreakmann
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2006
      Yesterday, I did switch my initial setting from (2)plastic primaries to
      (2)secondary carboys to free up the plastic primaries for another batch
      (which seems to be off to a good bubbly start so far). The key word are
      as always...so far.
      This morning, one of the switched batches is bubbling away quite fine.
      The second switched batch shows little or no activity.
      They were both the same batch, sanitized in the same manner, handled
      the same, syphoned with a wand with min trubulance or oxiginization,
      both at 68F.
      My thought is that I should reintroduce yeast again to get this one
      going again.
      What would be your thoughts on the situation?
      Bill
    • morganfield1
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 31, 2006
        Hi Bill,
        I am no expert at this, but I will submit that simply adding yeast to
        the stuck mash will not produce active fermentation, because of the
        lack of oxygen in the wort. I would suggest looking thru the pages on
        Homedistiller.org, fermentation stuff to see if there is any info
        there that may help you. Racking the wort from a primary to a
        secondary fermenter is common when making lager beer. Good luck.
        Tip one,
        Morgan

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peatreakmann" <peat_reak@...>
        wrote:

        > This morning, one of the switched batches is bubbling away quite
        fine.
        > The second switched batch shows little or no activity.
        > They were both the same batch, sanitized in the same manner, handled
        > the same, syphoned with a wand with min trubulance or oxiginization,
        > both at 68F.
        > My thought is that I should reintroduce yeast again to get this one
        > going again.
        > What would be your thoughts on the situation?
        > Bill

      • Trid
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 31, 2006
          wrote:
          > They were both the same batch, sanitized in the same manner, handled
          > the same, syphoned with a wand with min trubulance or oxiginization,
          > both at 68F.

          Completely OT...I got a little giggle out of your typo "trubulance"

          Yanno, in our little hobby, that could even be an actual word :)

          Trid
          -easily amused
        • peatreakmann
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 31, 2006
            Actually, I thought I spelt "oxinization" wrong.

            Happy Year New

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Trid" <triddlywinks@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peatreakmann" <peat_reak@>
            > wrote:
            > > They were both the same batch, sanitized in the same manner,
            handled
            > > the same, syphoned with a wand with min trubulance or
            oxiginization,
            > > both at 68F.
            >
            > Completely OT...I got a little giggle out of your typo "trubulance"
            >
            > Yanno, in our little hobby, that could even be an actual word :)
            >
            > Trid
            > -easily amused

          • peatreakmann
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 31, 2006
              ...and I thought I spelt "oxinization" wrong. You missed that.