Re: Ferment temp. question

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2006
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry <larry@...> wrote:

      > At 10:28 AM 12/30/2006, you wrote:
      >
      > >I just did a temp reading where I have whiskey mash sitting and
      it is
      > >about 50F degrees. It is bubbling, but not a actively as I have
      seen
      > >wines in the past.
      > >Is this too cold?
      >
      > It is, if you want it to ferment quickly.
      >
      > So long as it's still bubbling, the yeast is still alive, just
      working more
      > slowly. You might want to keep it from getting any cooler, though.
      >
      > Shine a 65-watt or 150-watt floodlight on it from a couple of feet
      away, or
      > wrap a heating pad around it. You can get heating pads that are
      like belts,
      > for wrapping around your torso.
      >
      > Yeast dies from the heat somewhere between 86F and 96F, so don't
      do
      > anything that's going to make it too hot over a period of days.
      >
      > Also, don't shine a 150-watt or 250-watt floodlight on a plastic
      fermenter
      > at too close a distance, or you'll melt a hole in the side of it
      and have a
      > sticky, sugary mess all over everything.
      >
      > The action of the yeast itself will generate some heat.

      Hi Larry,
      I appreciate your help in steering newbies in the right direction.
      But can I make a suggestion without you gettin' all antzy & thinkin'
      I'm pickin' on ya? (benefit of all, & all that). Take a moment to
      check the validity of what advice you're giving.

      Generally what you're saying is ok, But...

      Lightbulbs as a heater source can lead to a condition known
      as 'lightstrike' (check the archives here & Distillers). Beer
      brewers know all about this; it forms 'skunked' beer, full of
      obnoxious-smelling Mercaptans. Lightbulbs are fine if the light is
      blocked from direct mash contact via blankets or whatever.

      Also, yeast doesn't 'die' at those temps. It goes into suspended
      animation. Even frozen yeasts can be thawed with viable results.
      What yeast DOES do outside its normal operating temps (high OR low),
      is to make undesirable substances (stress factors) that show up in
      your product.

      Yeast don't normally 'die' (explode) until the temp reaches ~60
      degC, although they make a lot of nasty crap under stress long
      before they reach that stage. The best approach is to keep things
      the way that particular strain of yeast prefers, temp-wise, pH-wise
      AND nutrient-wise. Keep the buggers happy & they'll work their
      asses off for ya. :)