Boiler Angst

  • cummingsc@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2000
      Thanks to all who answered my previous questions. You are very
      patient.

      Ok. I have my materials assembled and will start building the tower
      soon. All I need to do is rustle up a boiler. Here's my trouble:

      I found a helluva pressure cooker for a mere pittance that is the
      perfect size, ect for my boiler (check it out at
      http://www.appliances.com/allamerican925.html). The problem is that
      it is aluminum. My fear is that aluminum is bad for some reason which
      is why I only hear about stainless steel and copper boilers. Is
      aluminum bad because it affects the flavor or is it really hard to
      work with?

      Someone please tell me that aluminum is easy to weld to and a
      pressure cooker is a perfect boiler. If so, then I'm off to the
      races!

      Thanks again everyone!

      Chris
    • ups474@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2000
        Aluminum is a royal pain to weld and a total pain to clean (you must use a
        vinegar and water 50/50 solution to clean it-no soap or it will soak into the
        metal and ruin anything made in it). They also tend to coat aluminum cookers
        in some sort of white grease (I don't know if it's animal or mineral based)
        that is almost impossible to wash off. Other than that, it works. Instead
        of welding, try using a threaded fitting arrangement.
      • cummingsc@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2000
          Thanks to those who responded. Several of you suggested that I should
          not weld but put a threaded fitting in the lid. Wouldn't that still
          involve welding?

          chris