Switching fermentors

  • peatreakmann
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
      Hi y'al,

      More questions from a forward moving newbie...

      I have (2) 6-gallon plastic primaries full of mash that was started two
      days ago and is bubbling quite nicely.

      My question is if I were to transfer the mash (syphon) over to glass
      carboys, would this disturb my batch?

      The reason for wanting yo do this is to utilize the 6-gal. buckets for
      fermenting the left over corn and grain from my original batch with
      Harry's reccomended recipe.

      Thanks for your help already, I'm off to a good start.

      Bill
    • John Wheeler
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
        Howdy Bill,

        That's an interesting question.   I think that the only issue you'd be risking is oxygenating your brew.  How long has the mash(es) been bubbling?  If there's a layer of yeast in the bottom, you might want to shake it up a bit before transferring, but other than that, you aught to be fine moving it into a clean and sterilized pair of carboys.  If you have any method of driving oxygen out of them beforehand, maybe consider that, but if not, I don't think you would have any major adverse effects.  Perhaps try and keep the end of the transfer hose as close to the bottom of the glass vessels as possible to reduce the oxygen contact, but other than that, I think you could go for it.
        Of course, if someone says, "Dear god, don't do that!" please listen to them.  I'm still learning and trying to participate =)

        Good Luck!

        ---John

        On 12/30/06, peatreakmann <peat_reak@...> wrote:

        Hi y'al,

        More questions from a forward moving newbie...

        I have (2) 6-gallon plastic primaries full of mash that was started two
        days ago and is bubbling quite nicely.

        My question is if I were to transfer the mash (syphon) over to glass
        carboys, would this disturb my batch?

        The reason for wanting yo do this is to utilize the 6-gal. buckets for
        fermenting the left over corn and grain from my original batch with
        Harry's reccomended recipe.

        Thanks for your help already, I'm off to a good start.

        Bill

      • donald holcombe
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 31, 2006
          I have racked wine and beer many time without incident. I have had a few Stop, Especially if I racked TOO early.If the ferment stops dont just throw more yeast in. Use a starter. You know mix up some wort and yeast or juice and yeast. There may not be enough O2 to get a new ferment to start without the starter GOOD LUCK !    LATER

          More questions from a forward moving newbie...

          I have (2) 6-gallon plastic primaries full of mash that was started two
          days ago and is bubbling quite nicely.

          My question is if I were to transfer the mash (syphon) over to glass
          carboys, would this disturb my batch?

          The reason for wanting yo do this is to utilize the 6-gal. buckets for
          fermenting the left over corn and grain from my original batch with
          Harry's reccomended recipe.

          Thanks for your help already, I'm off to a good start.

          Bill

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • enibnikrib
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 31, 2006
            Bill
            It`s standard practice with beer an wine making, an that`s all you are
            doing is making beer to be distilled, but don`t let it go beyond
            primary fermentation
            happy new year
            Luke

          • surya9375
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
              If the mash is still bubbling you could take the tube in the air lock
              and push it into the carboy. The air that comes out the air lock is
              CO2. say after an hour or 2 the carboy would be filled with CO2. then
              you can transfer the mash. But as CO2 is lighter, unless you have
              another air lock on the carboy. I guess the CO2 would just fly out the
              carboy.
              AND disturbing the yeast does bring some off-flavours, so try
              syphoning without disturbing the mash as much as possible. Like said
              keep the outlet as close to the bottom of the carboy.

              Regards
              Surya.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wheeler" <riodutchie@...>
              wrote:

              > Howdy Bill,
              >
              > That's an interesting question. I think that the only issue you'd be
              > risking is oxygenating your brew. How long has the mash(es) been
              bubbling?
              > If there's a layer of yeast in the bottom, you might want to shake
              it up a
              > bit before transferring, but other than that, you aught to be fine
              moving it
              > into a clean and sterilized pair of carboys. If you have any method of
              > driving oxygen out of them beforehand, maybe consider that, but if
              not, I
              > don't think you would have any major adverse effects. Perhaps try
              and keep
              > the end of the transfer hose as close to the bottom of the glass
              vessels as
              > possible to reduce the oxygen contact, but other than that, I think you
              > could go for it.
              > Of course, if someone says, "Dear god, don't do that!" please listen to
              > them. I'm still learning and trying to participate =)
              >
              > Good Luck!
              >
              > ---John
              >
              > On 12/30/06, peatreakmann <peat_reak@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi y'al,
              > >
              > > More questions from a forward moving newbie...
              > >
              > > I have (2) 6-gallon plastic primaries full of mash that was
              started two
              > > days ago and is bubbling quite nicely.
              > >
              > > My question is if I were to transfer the mash (syphon) over to glass
              > > carboys, would this disturb my batch?
              > >
              > > The reason for wanting yo do this is to utilize the 6-gal. buckets for
              > > fermenting the left over corn and grain from my original batch with
              > > Harry's reccomended recipe.
              > >
              > > Thanks for your help already, I'm off to a good start.
              > >
              > > Bill

            • Darald Bantel
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
                On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 08:24 +0000, surya9375 wrote:
                > If the mash is still bubbling you could take the tube in the air lock
                > and push it into the carboy. The air that comes out the air lock is
                > CO2. say after an hour or 2 the carboy would be filled with CO2. then
                > you can transfer the mash. But as CO2 is lighter, unless you have
                > another air lock on the carboy. I guess the CO2 would just fly out the
                > carboy.
                > AND disturbing the yeast does bring some off-flavours, so try
                > syphoning without disturbing the mash as much as possible. Like said
                > keep the outlet as close to the bottom of the carboy.
                >
                > Regards
                > Surya.
                snip

                CO2 is HEAVIER than air!

                Darald
              • Derek Hamlet
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
                  I don't quite understand this. Carbon Dioxide is heavier than air.
                  It bubbles up in a carboy because of pressure not weight.
                  When I do an extended cold maceration in winemaking I put a cloud of
                  carbon dioxide (bottled) over the wine. I replenish it each day.
                  This allows me to protect the wine which is fermenting at low
                  temperature. This brings out more color, tannins and other stuff
                  from the skins making for a more complex wine.
                  24 hours after displacing the air a match still goes out immediately
                  at least half way down into the fermenter.
                  The loss in the top half is only due to normal interaction between
                  the CO2 and outside air across a muslin vapour l cover. The only
                  reason that is there is to keep the %&*)@$# fruit flies out.
                  So, unless I missed something, I'd say just siphon it off without
                  disturbing too much of the cruditis in the bottom.
                  At 07:00 AM 1/2/2007, you wrote:

                  >On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 08:24 +0000, surya9375 wrote:
                  > > If the mash is still bubbling you could take the tube in the air lock
                  > > and push it into the carboy. The air that comes out the air lock is
                  > > CO2. say after an hour or 2 the carboy would be filled with CO2. then
                  > > you can transfer the mash. But as CO2 is lighter, unless you have
                  > > another air lock on the carboy. I guess the CO2 would just fly out the
                  > > carboy.
                  > > AND disturbing the yeast does bring some off-flavours, so try
                  > > syphoning without disturbing the mash as much as possible. Like said
                  > > keep the outlet as close to the bottom of the carboy.
                  > >
                  > > Regards
                  > > Surya.
                  >snip
                  >
                  >CO2 is HEAVIER than air!
                  >
                  >Darald

                  ;-)Derek
                • surya9375
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Darald Bantel <o1bigtenor@...>
                    wrote:

                    > On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 08:24 +0000, surya9375 wrote:
                    > > If the mash is still bubbling you could take the tube in the air lock
                    > > and push it into the carboy. The air that comes out the air lock is
                    > > CO2. say after an hour or 2 the carboy would be filled with CO2. then
                    > > you can transfer the mash. But as CO2 is lighter, unless you have
                    > > another air lock on the carboy. I guess the CO2 would just fly out the
                    > > carboy.
                    > > AND disturbing the yeast does bring some off-flavours, so try
                    > > syphoning without disturbing the mash as much as possible. Like said
                    > > keep the outlet as close to the bottom of the carboy.
                    > >
                    > > Regards
                    > > Surya.
                    > snip
                    >
                    > CO2 is HEAVIER than air!
                    >
                    > Darald

                    OOPS. Truly sorry. :-D Hydrogen was in mind (what was I thinking). Yes
                    your right. Thanks for pointing that out Darald. But you would still
                    need an air lock as it mixes with the atmosphere quite eaisly.