Anisette request

  • peatreakmann
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2006
      Does anyone know of a good recipe they would share to make anisette?
      I think I have most of the herbs for the concoction, but no recipe.
      Thanks
    • peatreakmann
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 30, 2006
        After some searching on the web, I did find some recipes for annise.
        Most of them require only macerating or steeping. Some did, however,
        mention redistilling after the steeping process (but offered no further
        information regarding this method). Does this improve the quality? Is
        it worth the effort? What would be the procedure?...and
        important...would it ruin flavors of future batches of whiskey from my
        pot still?
        Any insight is appreciated.

        -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peatreakmann" <peat_reak@...>
        wrote:

        > Does anyone know of a good recipe they would share to make anisette?
        > I think I have most of the herbs for the concoction, but no recipe.
        > Thanks

      • Jan Wouter
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
          Hi Peat,

          When I make pastice (a anisette like drink), I always redistill with
          the herbs in the kettle. This way more of the essential oil is gained
          from your herbs.
          If you don't use scrubbers your still will be fine with a thorough
          scrubbing and a run with just water.
          Jan Wouter

          2006/12/30, peatreakmann <peat_reak@...>:
          > After some searching on the web, I did find some recipes for annise.
          > Most of them require only macerating or steeping. Some did, however,
          > mention redistilling after the steeping process (but offered no further
          > information regarding this method). Does this improve the quality? Is
          > it worth the effort? What would be the procedure?...and
          > important...would it ruin flavors of future batches of whiskey from my
          > pot still?
          > Any insight is appreciated.
          >
          > -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peatreakmann" <peat_reak@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Does anyone know of a good recipe they would share to make anisette?
          > > I think I have most of the herbs for the concoction, but no recipe.
          > > Thanks

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • peatreakmann
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
            Thanks Jan,

            I'll give it a try. I have 2L sitting with the herb mix. I made it
            wit a combination of spirits 75% (1/3) 40 % (2/3). If I sat and
            tried, I could figure the abv.
            My still is a pot with a thumper. Would you set the herbs and a
            little full strangth liquid in the thump and just run the strained
            balance thru?
            If it's "clean" alcohol (store bought...no meth) to begin with, would
            you consider mixing equal with water and collecting all alc. put in
            and then some...?
            Would you add more herbs?
            Thanks,
            Peat