Re: reflux and rum

    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 29, 2006
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "scuba_duder" <scuba_duder@...>
      wrote:

      > If im using a reflux still, is it possible to make any spirits other
      > than vodka and gin? I want to try rum, will my reflux still strip all
      > the flavor away?

      Detune it. Remove the column insulation, & the mesh packing. Run it
      as a potstill ie. 1 strip run, with takeoff fully open, then a 2nd
      collection run of the strippate. On the 2nd run, cut your heads,
      hearts & tails. Hearts should run between 85% & 65% abv. (temp
      adjusted). Above & below that is feints for the next distillation.

      ps.
      These cuts are fairly standard. When you get more accustomed to your
      particular still & tastes, they can be varied to suit.

    • surya9375
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 2, 2007
        Yeps, it would strip off all the flovour. but if you already got one.
        you could try removing all the packing and firing it up. it might let
        in some of the flavours.

        Regards
        Surya

        wrote:

        > If im using a reflux still, is it possible to make any spirits other
        > than vodka and gin? I want to try rum, will my reflux still strip all
        > the flavor away?

      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 2, 2007
          Hold up there with the Commandments!
          As Surya suggests, it is easier to get rum from a pot still, but that
          is not the way that most rum is produced these days. I have had easily
          as good results from a fully tuned (but "sloppily" run) reflux still as
          I have by removing all packing.
          Check Harry's site (The Library, tastylime, or whatever in links: look
          for the Arroya patent paper).
          good luck!
          Rob.

          --- surya9375 <surya9375@...> wrote:

          > Yeps, it would strip off all the flovour. but if you already got one.
          > you could try removing all the packing and firing it up. it might let
          > in some of the flavours.
          >
          > Regards
          > Surya
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "scuba_duder"
          > <scuba_duder@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > If im using a reflux still, is it possible to make any spirits
          > other
          > > than vodka and gin? I want to try rum, will my reflux still strip
          > all
          > > the flavor away?

          Cheers,
          Rob.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Ian Kent
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 2, 2007
            I use a reflux still @ 92%ABV to produce rum that is full of flavour.
            Don't underestimate the power of molasses.

            Ian...

            On 1/2/07, surya9375 <surya9375@...> wrote:

            > Yeps, it would strip off all the flovour. but if you already got one.
            > you could try removing all the packing and firing it up. it might let
            > in some of the flavours.
            >
            > Regards
            > Surya
          • morganfield1
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 2, 2007
              Since I made my new still with an N/S head (about a year ago), I've
              used it to make all my whiskeys and rums. I put a couple of scrubbers
              at the base to catch the fusel oils,but that's optional. I set the
              needle valve to get around 90%. I find it alot easier to control the
              final taste because you have more control of the tales (tasty parts),
              but it takes trial and error. JM2C
              Tip one,
              Morgan

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Kent" <kegscruiser@...>