240 volt element controller

  • allanrnewton
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 29, 2006
      Can anyone help?
      I am looking for an easy .cheap and effective way to control the power
      to my 1000 watt 240 volt internal element. My 1.5" mini still column
      floods to easily when i try to push for maxi percentages.
      I am living in Aust& am unable to source a smaller element
      Allan
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 29, 2006

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "allanrnewton" <allanrnewton@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone help?
        > I am looking for an easy .cheap and effective way to control the power
        > to my 1000 watt 240 volt internal element. My 1.5" mini still column
        > floods to easily when i try to push for maxi percentages.
        > I am living in Aust& am unable to source a smaller element
        > Allan

        Hi Allan,

        Option #1:  Sutronics Burst-fire Controller.  Not cheap but is easy.

        Option #2:  Router Controller.  Reasonably cheap and easy, but there's problems with back EMF (interferes with other elec. equip like TV's etc.)

        Option #3:  Build your own controller.  Reasonably cheap (~$30 AUD for parts), not easy unless you are skilled in electronics soldering.

        Option #4:  Dual elements switchable parallel or series.  Cheap, easy, and gives advantage of quick boilup time.

        For your ministill with 1.5" column, the ideal wattage is around 500w.  Buy another 1,000w element, fit it in the boiler, buy a DPDT switch and wire it up as per the diagram below (this one was for 1,500w elements but just substitute your 1,000w elements).  It's a simple wiring job, but if you're not confident to wire the switch yourself, get a sparkie to do it.

        Operation:  Switched to parallel, you're running 2,000w for boilup.  At boil point, switch to series and you're distilling at 500w.  Now ain't that simple?

      • coopthewaste
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
          Get an electric range controller off an old stove.  They are either 750 watt or 1200 watt depending on whether they are primary burner or secondary burner.  Or, if you have a little money to spend, go to an online auction (you know the one I mean)  and type "240 volt variac" in the the search engine.  I use powerstat controllers on all my elements, heating mantles, etc.  Waiting for the right price is the only fall back.

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, coopthewaste <coopthewaste@...>
            wrote:

            > Get an electric range controller off an old stove. They are either
            750 watt or 1200 watt depending on whether they are primary burner or
            secondary burner.

            ............Range controllers are bi-metallic switches. IOW they
            switch the power on-off-on-off, the off state being something like 30-
            40 seconds at a time. This is fine for stove elements, which don't
            react very fast, but it's no good for distilling using internal
            elements as it destroys the column action. Pull one apart and have a
            look.

          • Cary Rhodes
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
              stove eye controller looks like it should work, but it won't.

              its a bi-metal switch and work more like a thermostat. It switches
              on and off rapidly.

              really screws up the column environment.

              cary

              <coopthewaste@...> wrote:

              > Get an electric range controller off an old stove. They are either
              750 watt or 1200 watt depending on whether they are primary burner or
              secondary burner. Or, if you have a little money to spend, go to an
              online auction (you know the one I mean) and type "240 volt variac"
              in the the search engine. I use powerstat controllers on all my
              elements, heating mantles, etc. Waiting for the right price is the
              only fall back.

              > allanrnewton <allanrnewton@...> wrote: Can anyone help?
              > I am looking for an easy .cheap and effective way to control the
              power
              > to my 1000 watt 240 volt internal element. My 1.5" mini still
              column
              > floods to easily when i try to push for maxi percentages.
              > I am living in Aust& am unable to source a smaller element
              > Allan

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • john achilles
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 31, 2006
                <allanrnewton@...> wrote:

                > Can anyone help?
                > I am looking for an easy .cheap and effective way to control the power
                > to my 1000 watt 240 volt internal element. My 1.5" mini still column
                > floods to easily when i try to push for maxi percentages.
                > I am living in Aust& am unable to source a smaller element
                > Allan

                Alan
                Check this site, maybe able to help
                http://www.rsaustralia.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBrowseAction.do?N=0&Ntk=I18NRSStockNumber&Ntt=655-644&Nty=1&D=655-644&callingPage=/jsp/line/line.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1679513991.1167606464@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchaddjkgdljghcefeceeldgkidhgn.0&cacheID=aunetscape&Nr=avl:au

              • allanrnewton
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 31, 2006
                  --- Many thanks for the replies . I will probably go with the 2
                  element idea ,but will keep Johns in a file .
                  Many wishes to all for the new year (my ears are still ringing from
                  the fireworks) Allan
                • john achilles
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "john achilles" <gidgee@...> wrote:

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "allanrnewton"
                    > <allanrnewton@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Can anyone help?
                    > > I am looking for an easy .cheap and effective way to control the
                    power
                    > > to my 1000 watt 240 volt internal element. My 1.5" mini still column
                    > > floods to easily when i try to push for maxi percentages.
                    > > I am living in Aust& am unable to source a smaller element
                    > > Allan
                    >
                    > Alan
                    > Check this site, maybe able to help

                    http://www.rsaustralia.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBrowseAction.do?N=0&Ntk=I18NRSStockNumber&Ntt=655-644&Nty=1&D=655-644&callingPage=/jsp/line/line.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1679513991.1167606464@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchaddjkgdljghcefeceeldgkidhgn.0&cacheID=aunetscape&Nr=avl:au

                    Hi
                    if you get a timeout message using the above address search action...

                    click http://www.rsaustralia.com
                    do a in house search using
                    code No. 655-644
                    john