Re: yeast temps

  • mike karnowski
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2006

      Ale yeasts and distillers yeast slow down below 60 degrees F. and pretty much stop below 50 F., you could use a lager yeast which ferments down to near freezing.

      >Yeast dies if the wash gets above 86F, and my guess is that >it would either
      >die or go into suspended animation if it got down to >freezing.

      nonsense, yeast are perfectly happy up to 110-115 F., they will not produce the best flavors at that temp but will only start to die around 120 F. If it gets too cold just warm up the fermenter and the yeast will kick right back up.  -m

      http://mail.yahoo.com