Sugar

  • leo_advocaat
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 26, 2006
      For those living in an Area which has a Rithie IGA store. They have
      black and gold label sugar @ $1.49 for 2Kilo. Cheers
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2013
        Just getting to know my still (2L alembic pot) and thought I'd start by distilling some wine to begin to get the feel for things. It was suggested on this site to first add some sugar and yeast and referment the wine to raise the alcohol content before distilling. Been looking for a recipe/reference to give me an idea how much sugar to add. I have found recipes for wine making which suggest about 2lbs sugar to about a gallon of must. Would this be the ratio to use for what I'm planning (seems like a lot)?

        Thanks.
      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2013
          Mark,

          Your plan to use wine for a first distillation is a good one, and I'd recommend against  trying to boost the alcohol content of that wine before distillation, for the following reasons:

          First., distillation is not a race for the highest %ABV (Alcohol By Volume), and often high wash ABV is associated with bad tastes because the yeast is working under duress, and makes some nasty-tasting compounds. And yes, that specifically included turbos. I think we'd all be happier if your first distillation gave you a good-tasting product.

          Second, you'd have to pick a yeast variety that could start a ferment at the relatively high starting ABV of the wine.

          Last, that 2 pounds of sugar per gallon of must is just ridiculously high in addition to the alcohol already in the wine. Here's a link to a chart from my book that relates pounds of sugar per gallon to potential wash ABV, as well as suggested yeast varieties. Note: that's without starting in already-made wine.
          http://www.kelleybarts.com/PhotoXfer/GuideToWashNumbers.pdf

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <stagof7@...> wrote:

          > Just getting to know my still (2L alembic pot) and thought I'd start by distilling some wine to begin to get the feel for things. It was suggested on this site to first add some sugar and yeast and referment the wine to raise the alcohol content before distilling. Been looking for a recipe/reference to give me an idea how much sugar to add. I have found recipes for wine making which suggest about 2lbs sugar to about a gallon of must. Would this be the ratio to use for what I'm planning (seems like a lot)?
          >
          > Thanks.

        • Bob Glicksman
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2013
            This is good advice, but let me suggest a different spin on this.  If you want to learn to distill (making all the proper cuts, etc), you MIGHT want to start with just a sugar-water solution and ferment that.  In other words, skip the fruit altogether and simply make a neutral spirit, which is the simplist way to go, at least until you feel that your distillation skills are good enough to move "up" to something else.

            1.4 lbs of table sugar dissolved into 1 gallon of water and fully fermented makes a 10% ethanol solution, ready for distillation.  You can check things out with a triple scale hydrometer (which is low cost and highly recommended), but if you just go ahead and mix this up, you are good to go.  Just make sure to keep things sterile and you might want to use one of the "turbo yeasts" that are sold on the Internet to ferment, as these contain all the nutrients that the yeast needs (table sugar is poor in some key yeast nutrients) and ferment quite vigorously and rapidly.

            Your plan to use wine for a first distillation is a good one, and I'd recommend against  trying to boost the alcohol content of that wine before distillation, for the following reasons:

            First., distillation is not a race for the highest %ABV (Alcohol By Volume), and often high wash ABV is associated with bad tastes because the yeast is working under duress, and makes some nasty-tasting compounds. And yes, that specifically included turbos. I think we'd all be happier if your first distillation gave you a good-tasting product.

            Second, you'd have to pick a yeast variety that could start a ferment at the relatively high starting ABV of the wine.

            Last, that 2 pounds of sugar per gallon of must is just ridiculously high in addition to the alcohol already in the wine. Here's a link to a chart from my book that relates pounds of sugar per gallon to potential wash ABV, as well as suggested yeast varieties. Note: that's withou t starting in already-made wine.
            http://www.kelleybarts.com/PhotoXfer/GuideToWashNumbers.pdf

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <stagof7@...> wrote:

            > Just getting to know my still (2L alembic pot) and thought I'd start by distilling some wine to begin to get the feel for things. It was suggested on this site to first add some sugar and yeast and referment the wine to raise the alcohol content before distilling. Been looking for a recipe/reference to give me an idea how much sugar to add. I have found recipes for wine making which suggest about 2lbs sugar to about a gallon of must. Would this be the ratio to use for what I'm planning (seems like a lot)?
            >
            > Thanks.

          • Mark
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2, 2013
              Thanks Bob, I have not read your book yet, but it is on order and I hope to have it soon. I think I'll try distilling the wine as is.

              mark