Re: Buying still

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 24, 2006
      At 02:41 AM 12/24/2006, you wrote:

      >If you can't build, spend a few bucks & buy a decent still from one of
      >the reputable firms. Many mentioned in the archives & links. It'll
      >pay for itself inside 6 months with what you save not buying
      >storebought.

      Maybe less than that, considering the current price of copper. I went to
      Brewhaus and bought an Essential Extractor, pretty much due to a lack of
      affordable copper pipe and fittings, OR appropriate stainless-steel pipe
      and fittings. It's pretty much the same column that's sold on 3 or 4 websites.

      It's nothing special. Except for the Leibig condenser, it would have
      amounted to a big piece of pipe with three half-inch holes drilled in it,
      two short pieces of half-inch pipe soldered into them, as a column
      condenser. The output condenser might have been more of a problem, but I
      probably would have used a coil instead of a Leibig type.

      But, I was faced with $60 for a Mapp gas rig for the silver soldering, plus
      multiple sizes of copper pipe, with wastage on each size. Buying the
      stainless reflux column, which could ALSO be used as a pot still, seemed
      like the best course, financially. In fact, it still does.

      I went to a Lowe's Home Center, and paid $11.90 for a one-foot piece of
      copper pipe for a plumbing project last summer. I found the same thing at a
      competitor (Home Depot) for $6.50 later, but even at $6.50 per foot for
      half-inch (much less in 20-foot sticks), the price of copper is horrible.