Re: Checking alcohol levels in beer by means of distillation.

  • Boris de Mesones
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 23, 2006
      Harry

      Thousand thanks !
      Your explanation is as clear as water and solves all my doubts. Thanks
      also for the article about alcohol levels in beer.

      Salud from Korea

      Boris

      --- Posted by: "Harry" gnikomson2000@... gnikomson2000

      >The methods you use are, as you say, 'basic'. They can only give an
      approximate figure as they are derived from the CO2 given off in
      fermentation, not actual alcohol.

      The gougers (taxmen) require a far more accurate measurement from
      actual alcohols, not CO2.

      Distilling a 25ml sample and collecting half the sample volume will
      collect ALL the alcohol. The refractometer will give a reading in
      A/V (alcohol by volume). Because it's ALL the alcohol in HALF the
      volume, it's divided by 2 to determine the A/V of the original 25ml
      sample. This is an extremely accurate measurement.

      Bear in mind also that this method measures ALL the alcohol types
      present in your sample, not just the ethanol. Most fermentations
      produce other alcohol types, albeit in small quantities. But you
      pay tax on them also.

      Here's something I dug up a long time ago. Can't remember the
      source so apologies for not quoting source...