Re: Malt extract rec.needed

  • gatesbox
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 23, 2006
      OK,

      So if this is your first time fermenting anything read over a basic
      brewing instructions. You are basically going to make beer without
      hops (Simple beer being extract, hops and specialty grains for
      flavor.) To put it most simply: you want to pasteurize the extract
      and any ingredients

      1. use at least a 20qt pot fill 1/2 to 3/4 with quality water
      filtered or spring water up to the max 5-6 gallon (whatever size your
      fermentation vessel is.

      2. add malt extract (at least one can) and if using grains for
      flavor, i.e. peat smoked barley I would recommend a muslin/steeping
      bag filled so you have a ball about the size of a large Orange, I
      don't know how much that would wiegh. Heat with steeping grains
      until temp reaches 170F. Remove grains and continue to heat to a
      boil. I would say 10 min boil is good enough for simple sanitation.
      If you are using immersion wort chiller put it in the pot to
      sterilize while boiling.

      3. Sanitize your fermentation vessel (not bleach) most of the
      homebrew places sell 02 based cleaners (the homebrew version of
      oxyclean).

      4. Turn off heat to boil, add any remaining extract, stir to
      dissolve, cool using any sterile method. When heat is below 100F add
      to fermentation vessel, fill with filtered or spring water.

      If using a bucket stir aggressively to aerate. Sprinkle yeast on
      top, seal up fermenter, and let it do its thing. Your yeast may be
      a bit old, and you can buy distillers yeast at brewhaus.com. I have
      never used bread yeast, I guess I am just a bit of a snob about
      specific alcohol tolerant yeast.

      For more detailed info check out the files at Northern Brewer:

      www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/