Re: I know absolutely nothing

  • marquee.moon
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 21, 2006
      most fuits that have a good juice content will ferment out to around
      6-10%, so can be fermented straight off. A rough comparison of how
      much alcohol to expect can be gained from the "journey to forever"
      web site:
      http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/meCh3.
      html#alcoholyield

      This web site gives volumes of 99% pure ethanol from a tonne of
      fruit, but you can use this to roughly guess your sugar content (for
      example, it yields less than apples, so will be lower than 6 or 7%,
      or it yields more than grapes so will be more than wine strength at
      10-12%). It also tells you how to prepare fruit effieciently for
      meximum alcohol output.

      With regard to methanol, you'll get more by fermenting fruit than
      using sugar, but thats fine, you just need to take it slowly and
      collect a healthy amount at the start.

      If you haven't got an alcohol hydrometer, the thermeter at the top of
      the column will give you a good idea of what strength your collecting
      at. It's not to accurate, but it'll give you a feel for whats going
      on. By keeping an eye on the temperature, and the volumes your
      collecting, you can work out how far through the process you are, and
      what your approximate final strength is. Temperature to strength
      calculator is found at the bottom of this page:

      http://homedistiller.org/calc.htm

      I made apple brandy recently from pure fruit juice. If you go down
      the same route, then your process will be similar. This is what I did-

      - I crushed the fruit & pressed the juice into fermenting jars. Added
      wine yeast no extra sugar, fermented 2 gallons at a time. I only did
      2 gallons at a time because it takes ages to crush & press all this
      fruit.
      - The cider came out at out 7%
      - Distilled 2 gallons at a time, collecting around a third of the
      volume. This first distillation (= "low wines") came out at around 22%
      - I fermented 6 gallons, so I did 3 first distillations, ending up
      with around 2 gallons of 22% low wines
      - On the second distillation I ran it slowly from the start. I
      discarded 250ml foreshots to get rid of methanol, then collected
      heads in two different bottles, each with 200ml. I did this because I
      wasn't sure were the heads would stop, so I played safe & took two
      separate lots. The heart of the run starts at around 81 centigrade
      - Collected hearts until around 50% - 45% (at around 83 – 83.5
      centigrade), then cut to tails
      - Collect tails in small glass bottles - to start with in 150ml
      quanities, until the stuff coming out of the still smelt sour, then I
      turned up the heat and collected up to around 90 c. in one bottle
      (tails bottle)
      - I ended up with loads of bottles. I poured any spirit into the
      tails that smelt a bit sour. I then dribbled a small amount of each
      into (a) water and (b) a little glass of the hearts. If either went
      cloudy, chuck it into tails bottle. Now I blended the remaining to
      taste, using small amounts from remaining heads & tails. The heads
      are sweet smelling & sweet tasting- they're important in brandy, but
      to much gives a blinding hangover, its your choice. The tails give a
      richness to the flavour- this is were you get some of the more
      complex fruity tastes coming out. I found that a lot of the `apple'
      flavour was only apparent in the early tails- I needed this to give
      the brandy character.
      - The distillate that was left over (the tails bottle) goes back
      into next run.

      A very useful website about making decent brandy is in Harry's
      alcohol library- go the "books" link and look for a book called the
      Artisan distiller: