ARC - How to:

  • needragonn
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 12 5:01 PM
      Just read the file "How ARC Works" in NEW_DISTLLERS and the string
      "ARC now flying" from John and Riku, and have decided to build an ARC
      Still, and have a few questions.

      Ok, so we got a 600mm long and 10mm wide internal sensor tube.

      Is that 600mm start at the SR Head?
      Is it all internal, or does it come out of the column like the pic in
      the "How ARC Works" Doc?
      How far down the sensor pipe until the product line come off?

      The "How ARC Works" doc says there is a pic of Riku's ARC Still in the
      Photo section but I couldn't find it. Is there anyway I could get some
      pic's of either yours.

      I sure I'll have more questions, but this will get me started.

      Thanks in advance for all of your help.

      Kevin
    • john
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 13 12:19 PM
        Hi Kevin
        I am sorry I have not photographed the ARC yet . However
        stats are; column 1.2 mts x .50, condenser 400 x .50 with 3.8 mt
        5/16 tube spiralled inside, the sensor tube is 10 mil int dia x 600,
        probaby a bit too big, Riku suggests 8 mil, but it works OK I went
        for the internal sensor tube,wound with 1 pound of Amphora copper
        mesh, My sensor tube starts about 100 mil below the condenser coils
        via a collecter cap with a 20 ml x 30 ml long tube soldered along
        side the sensor tube which is bent to come down the middle of the
        column. The product iine come of a T connector 50 ml below the
        collector cap.
        Looking that over it seems complicated and I will try a drawing
        for you . Probably Riku has one ready. You could contact me off
        group post if you like.
        Yung Sing ..trublu

        -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "needragonn" <needragonn@...>
        wrote:

        > Just read the file "How ARC Works" in NEW_DISTLLERS and the string
        > "ARC now flying" from John and Riku, and have decided to build an
        ARC
        > Still, and have a few questions.
        >
        > Ok, so we got a 600mm long and 10mm wide internal sensor tube.
        >
        > Is that 600mm start at the SR Head?
        > Is it all internal, or does it come out of the column like the pic
        in
        > the "How ARC Works" Doc?
        > How far down the sensor pipe until the product line come off?
        >
        > The "How ARC Works" doc says there is a pic of Riku's ARC Still in
        the
        > Photo section but I couldn't find it. Is there anyway I could get
        some
        > pic's of either yours.
        >
        > I sure I'll have more questions, but this will get me started.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for all of your help.
        >
        > Kevin

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 13 9:41 PM
          Hi Kevin,

          I'd recommend you first have a look at my book "Simple low cost
          stills" at
          http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Listings2.htm#Books%20Listings

          After reading about internal sensorpipe ARC in there you should built
          one with 8mm internal sensor pipe that goes 600mm inside the packing.

          Cheers, Riku

          wrote:

          > Just read the file "How ARC Works" in NEW_DISTLLERS and the string
          > "ARC now flying" from John and Riku, and have decided to build an
          ARC
          > Still, and have a few questions.
          >
          > Ok, so we got a 600mm long and 10mm wide internal sensor tube.
          >
          > Is that 600mm start at the SR Head?
          > Is it all internal, or does it come out of the column like the pic
          in
          > the "How ARC Works" Doc?
          > How far down the sensor pipe until the product line come off?
          >
          > The "How ARC Works" doc says there is a pic of Riku's ARC Still in
          the
          > Photo section but I couldn't find it. Is there anyway I could get
          some
          > pic's of either yours.
          >
          > I sure I'll have more questions, but this will get me started.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for all of your help.
          >
          > Kevin

        • Kevin Smith
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 14 4:24 PM
            Thanks for the help John and Ruki,

            I read the book (or at least the part on Arc) "Simple low cost stills" at
            http://distillers. tastylime. net/library/ Listings2. htm#Books% 20Listings
            Lots of info, after I get through with this part I’m sure I’ll have other question. I also went back in the archive of both Distillers and New_Distillers and have read all the articles on ARC.
            I believe I have a pretty good grasp on the concept. It looks like it has evolved though time. But it’s hard to see where it ended up. Obviously  it looks like it started as an External Sensor Tube (EST), and then went to an Internal Sensor Tube(IST), but I can’t really tell if it was a loop IST and then an straight IST, or vise versa. From the info that John gave me, I want to say that it is the Straight IST.

            So the questions that I have are:

            1.       Which is better Straight IST or the Loop IST?
            2.       What should my dimensions for the Collector Cap be / How much liquid should the Cap hold (2.5in. Colum)?
            3.       How far above the collector cap, does the Vent tube have to be?
            4.       How far down does the Airlock U bend go?
            5.       Does any of the Product line have to be insulated?
            6.       John, this ones for you; you said “with a 20 ml x 30 ml long tube soldered along side the sensor tube which is bent to come down the middle of the column”. I’m lost, that does this mean. Maybe you could draw me a pic.
            7.       And one more. I’m going to get some of that Copper Packing, they sell it by the pound, but they don’t say how much it fills. I need 46in. (1168.4mm) x 2.5in. (63.5mm) worth of packing. Can anyone tell me how many pounds I need?

            I would still love to see pics and/or schematics of both of your Stills, if not just to verify that I’m not just making a great big paper weight :)

            Thanks Again

            Kevin

            wrote:

            > Just read the file "How ARC Works" in NEW_DISTLLERS and the string
            > "ARC now flying" from John and Riku, and have decided to build an
            ARC
            > Still, and have a few questions.
            >
            > Ok, so we got a 600mm long and 10mm wide internal sensor tube.
            >
            > Is that 600mm start at the SR Head?
            > Is it all internal, or does it come out of the column like the pic
            in
            > the "How ARC Works" Doc?
            > How far down the sensor pipe until the product line come off?
            >
            > The "How ARC Works" doc says there is a pic of Riku's ARC Still in
            the
            > Photo section but I couldn't find it. Is there anyway I could get
            some
            > pic's of either yours.
            >
            > I sure I'll have more questions, but this will get me started.
            >
            > Thanks in advance for all of your help.
            >
            > Kevin

          • needragonn
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 14 5:13 PM
              Thanks for the help John and Ruki,

              I read the ARC part of the book "Simple low cost stills" at:
              http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Listings2.htm#Books%20Listings

              Lots of info, after I get through with this part I'm sure I'll have
              other question. I also went back in the archive of both Distillers and
              New_Distillers and have read all the articles on ARC.

              I believe I have a pretty good grasp on the concept. It looks like it
              has evolved though time. But it's hard to see where it ended up.

              Obviously it looks like it started as an External Sensor Tube (EST),
              and then went to an Internal Sensor Tube(IST), but I can't really tell
              if it was a loop IST and then an straight IST, or vise versa.

              From the info that John gave me, I want to say that it went to the
              Straight IST.

              So, the questions that I have are:

              1. Is the Straight IST better than the Loop IST?

              2. What should my dimensions for the Collector Cap be / How much
              liquid should the Cap hold (65in. X 2.5in. Colum)?

              3. How far above the collector cap, does the Vent tube have to be?

              4. How far down does the Airlock U bend go?

              5. Does any of the Product line have to be insulated?

              6. John, this ones for you; you said "with a 20 ml x 30 ml long tube
              soldered along side the sensor tube which is bent to come down the
              middle of the column". I'm lost, that does this mean. Maybe you could
              draw me a pic.

              7. And one more. I'm going to get some of that Copper Packing, they
              sell it by the pound, but they don't say how much it fills. I need
              46in. (1168.4mm) x 2.5in. (63.5mm) worth of packing. Anyone know how

              <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

              > Hi Kevin,
              >
              > I'd recommend you first have a look at my book "Simple low cost
              > stills" at
              > http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Listings2.htm#Books%20Listings
              >
              > After reading about internal sensorpipe ARC in there you should built
              > one with 8mm internal sensor pipe that goes 600mm inside the packing.
              >
              > Cheers, Riku
              >

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "needragonn" <needragonn@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Just read the file "How ARC Works" in NEW_DISTLLERS and the string
              > > "ARC now flying" from John and Riku, and have decided to build an
              > ARC
              > > Still, and have a few questions.
              > >
              > > Ok, so we got a 600mm long and 10mm wide internal sensor tube.
              > >
              > > Is that 600mm start at the SR Head?
              > > Is it all internal, or does it come out of the column like the pic
              > in
              > > the "How ARC Works" Doc?
              > > How far down the sensor pipe until the product line come off?
              > >
              > > The "How ARC Works" doc says there is a pic of Riku's ARC Still in
              > the
              > > Photo section but I couldn't find it. Is there anyway I could get
              > some
              > > pic's of either yours.
              > >
              > > I sure I'll have more questions, but this will get me started.
              > >
              > > Thanks in advance for all of your help.
              > >
              > > Kevin

            • abbababbaccc
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 15 2:05 AM
                The loop version was my idea in order to reduce the number of heads.
                Unfortunately it didn't work very well so I switched to internal
                sensorpipe which works extremely well.

                You should minimize the amount of liquid in system in order to reduce
                heads mixing. No insulation is needed for the vaporlock part.

                Cheers, Riku

                wrote:

                > Thanks for the help John and Ruki,
                >
                > I read the ARC part of the book "Simple low cost stills" at:
                > http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Listings2.htm#Books%
                20Listings

                > Lots of info, after I get through with this part I'm sure I'll have
                > other question. I also went back in the archive of both Distillers
                and
                > New_Distillers and have read all the articles on ARC.
                >
                > I believe I have a pretty good grasp on the concept. It looks like
                it
                > has evolved though time. But it's hard to see where it ended up.
                >
                > Obviously it looks like it started as an External Sensor Tube (EST),
                > and then went to an Internal Sensor Tube(IST), but I can't really
                tell
                > if it was a loop IST and then an straight IST, or vise versa.
                >
                > From the info that John gave me, I want to say that it went to the
                > Straight IST.
                >

                > So, the questions that I have are:
                >
                > 1. Is the Straight IST better than the Loop IST?
                >
                > 2. What should my dimensions for the Collector Cap be / How much
                > liquid should the Cap hold (65in. X 2.5in. Colum)?
                >
                > 3. How far above the collector cap, does the Vent tube have to be?
                >
                > 4. How far down does the Airlock U bend go?
                >
                > 5. Does any of the Product line have to be insulated?
                >
                > 6. John, this ones for you; you said "with a 20 ml x 30 ml long tube
                > soldered along side the sensor tube which is bent to come down the
                > middle of the column". I'm lost, that does this mean. Maybe you
                could
                > draw me a pic.
                >
                > 7. And one more. I'm going to get some of that Copper Packing, they
                > sell it by the pound, but they don't say how much it fills. I need
                > 46in. (1168.4mm) x 2.5in. (63.5mm) worth of packing. Anyone know how
                > many pounds I need?
                >

                > I would still love to see pics and/or schematics of both of your
                > Stills, if not just to verify that I'm not just making a great big
                > paper weight:)
                >
                > Thanks Again
                >
                > Kevin

              • john-douglas davies
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 15 12:16 PM
                  Hi Kevin
                           I must apologize for not having produced drawings of my setup yet, however I am still tuning even tho I should be happy enough. Over th next few days I will make a primary drawing and post it for you. I must point out that I got all my info along the same lines as you ie RIKU.
                   A  couple of differences in my setup ;  As yet I have not got a vent in my product line ! ; I tried a larger sensor tube 800 x10 mil ID, it seemed  to work well, but I had nothing to compare with tho I only got 93/94 % while quality seemed good. Since cut 200 mil off sensor tube and only tried one batch since, litttle difference so far.
                   The collecter cap is a 2" copper end cap with a 20 x 30 ml section of tube
                  soldered in the middle with 10 mil sticking up as a  collecter pool while the sensor tube is soldered at the  edge of the cap 50 mil blow that is the product line and after that is the double bend taking it to the middle of the column.
                   The one pound of copper is seven inches wide and about twenty feet long,
                  enough for one  meter of packing.
                    It appears that I did too good a job of closing the end of sensor as it doesnt leak now, must drill a tiny hole in it.
                    All in all, I realized that some experimenting was probably in order, but that suits me fine.  Sorry if my description is not clear but dont give up. The ARC system seems a bit forgiving .
                        Yung sing           trublu

                  wrote:

                  > Thanks for the help John and Ruki,
                  >
                  > I read the ARC part of the book "Simple low cost stills" at:
                  > http://distillers. tastylime. net/library/ Listings2. htm#Books%
                  20Listings

                  > Lots of info, after I get through with this part I'm sure I'll have
                  > other question. I also went back in the archive of both Distillers
                  and
                  > New_Distillers and have read all the articles on ARC.
                  >
                  > I believe I have a pretty good grasp on the concept. It looks like
                  it
                  > has evolved though time. But it's hard to see where it ended up.
                  >
                  > Obviously it looks like it started as an External Sensor Tube (EST),
                  > and then went to an Internal Sensor Tube(IST), but I can't really
                  tell
                  > if it was a loop IST and then an straight IST, or vise versa.
                  >
                  > From the info that John gave me, I want to say that it went to the
                  > Straight IST.
                  >

                  > So, the questions that I have are:
                  >
                  > 1. Is the Straight IST better than the Loop IST?
                  >
                  > 2. What should my dimensions for the Collector Cap be / How much
                  > liquid should the Cap hold (65in. X 2.5in. Colum)?
                  >
                  > 3. How far above the collector cap, does the Vent tube have to be?
                  >
                  > 4. How far down does the Airlock U bend go?
                  >
                  > 5. Does any of the Product line have to be insulated?
                  >
                  > 6. John, this ones for you; you said "with a 20 ml x 30 ml long tube
                  > soldered along side the sensor tube which is bent to come down the
                  > middle of the column". I'm lost, that does this mean. Maybe you
                  could
                  > draw me a pic.
                  >
                  > 7. And one more. I'm going to get some of that Copper Packing, they
                  > sell it by the pound, but they don't say how much it fills. I need
                  > 46in. (1168.4mm) x 2.5in. (63.5mm) worth of packing. Anyone know how
                  > many pounds I need?
                  >

                  > I would still love to see pics and/or schematics of both of your
                  > Stills, if not just to verify that I'm not just making a great big
                  > paper weight:)
                  >
                  > Thanks Again
                  >
                  > Kevin

                  Only when I
                • needragonn
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 18 6:18 PM
                    What is the Purpose of the sensor tube leaking?

                    Also, how much is it supposed leak/how big of a hole are you going to
                    drill?

                    Also curious on what else are you going/could do to try to get up to
                    95+%? Longer/shorter or bigger/smaller diameter Sensor tube?

                    I just like to know how thing tic. It would be Interesting to know the
                    effect you get by changing any of those dimensions. If you, or Riku
                    have a data on that I would love to hear about it.

                    Thanks again for the help, I can't wait to get up and running

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, john-douglas davies
                    <trubloodyblu@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > liquid should the Cap hold (65in. X 2.5in. Colum)?
                    > >
                    > > 3. How far above the collector cap, does the Vent tube have to be?
                    > >
                    > > 4. How far down does the Airlock U bend go?
                    > >
                    > > 5. Does any of the Product line have to be insulated?
                    > >
                    > > 6. John, this ones for you; you said "with a 20 ml x 30 ml long tube
                    > > soldered along side the sensor tube which is bent to come down the
                    > > middle of the column". I'm lost, that does this mean. Maybe you
                    > could
                    > > draw me a pic.
                    > >
                    > > 7. And one more. I'm going to get some of that Copper Packing, they
                    > > sell it by the pound, but they don't say how much it fills. I need
                    > > 46in. (1168.4mm) x 2.5in. (63.5mm) worth of packing. Anyone know how
                    > > many pounds I need?
                    > >

                    > > I would still love to see pics and/or schematics of both of your
                    > > Stills, if not just to verify that I'm not just making a great big

                  • abbababbaccc
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 18 11:02 PM
                      Leak in sensorpipe will ensure that the liquid inside is slowly
                      circulated back to column. In practise this means that heads will
                      eventually bleed out instead of staying in the pipe and mixing to
                      product you take out. The leak rate in my setup is rougly one drop /
                      second when tested with ethylacetate/ethanol mix.

                      Cheers, Riku

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 19 12:25 PM
                        Hi all
                        It will take a while to test again after drilling suitable hole as it takes usually up to two weeks to prepare the mash.   Another item / problem has manifested itself ; I have insulated the boiler now, the column has been done before. But while I was getting up to 450/500 mil per hour of product, yesterday there was a full litre ! The product seemed OK but it is too fast for the best quality, I have a 1100 w heating coil after a quick initial 2400w start.    From cold it takes 30 Min's on 2400 until temp swings high then only 10 Min's to produce heads , with a half [ 30 Lr mash]  15 Lr in boiler.    As I have had little experience with judging quality [ not counting 50 years of boozing as a mariner and prospector]  I can only assume the quality could be improved by slowing the heating down with an electronic device on the 1100 coil. Oh well we must make sacrifices and stive for perfection, meanwhle its back to the old Irish Still Spirits Whiskie ageing in the locker or the kidney bruising Red .
                         Na zdorovje comrades and have a  Merry Christmas.  trubloodyblu