turbo yeast

  • Geoff Redman
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 9, 2002
      Hello all

      How do you get 20%abv wash from 8kg turbo yeast? If you put 8kg of cane
      sugar in 25L of water wouldn't it only give about 16.5%abv? Do you need
      to add another 2kg of sugar to the wash once the first 8kg is nearly
      done fermenting to max out the yeast?

      cheers,
      geoff
    • Robert Hubble
      Message 35 of 35 , Sep 4, 2015
        A couple of things: Perhaps 10 years ago on this list, we answered many questions about bad-tasting washes and distillates, and more often than not, turbos were involved, even though at least one of our regular experienced distillers used them with good results (although he also carbon filtered). It appears that over the years some, many, or maybe even all turbos have improved their flavor reputation.

        On the other hand, there's still a lot of controversy about them, to the point that the Modern Distillers forum locked a thread dealing with turbo use. The last (next-to-last, really) post in this thread is probably the best current turbo information.
        http://forum.moderndistiller.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4340&p=46066&hilit=turbo&sid=f73c62eea2204d5c6ff40503a28449c7#p46066

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 20:33:17 -0700
        Subject: [new_distillers] turbo yeast

         Does this stuff really produce the off flavors that it has a reputation for? I heard that it can produce a high result in just days compared to weeks. But, at what cost? Anyone have any experiences to share?