Re: Need info please

  • Josh
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5 6:41 AM
      That's a pretty cool story. I was always curious about the "XXX" on
      the jugs.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry <larry@...> wrote:

      > At 01:17 AM 12/05/2006, you wrote:
      > >Now. Ethanol (which is the alcohol we are after) has a lower boiling
      > >point than water. So when the batch is heated the ethnol would be the
      > >first to escape as steam than water.
      >
      > Essentially, yes. Ethanol will begin boiling before the water does, but
      > there are several kinds of alcohol other than ethanol in the wash, and
      > thankfully THEY have lower boiling points than Ethanol.
      >
      > That makes THEIR steam the first thing out, and that's why you throw
      away
      > the first 50ml to 100ml. Those are the "Foreshots" and "Heads".
      They smell
      > bad, taste bad, and cause hangovers/worse hangovers.
      >
      > Running a wash through a pot still once, then running it through a
      second
      > time is a pretty standard practice for most people. The first run
      generally
      > comes out at about 40%, and not tasting as good.
      >
      > When you see cartoons of Hillbillies hefting a gallon stoneware jug,
      with
      > two or three "X" marks across the bottom, that is based in fact.
      >
      > Back around the turn of the century (20th) stoneware jugs and demijohns
      > were favored for storage of moonshine, mostly the cheaper stoneware
      jugs.

      > The "X" marks denoted quality of the contents. A marking of "XXX" meant
      > that the whiskey was triple-distilled. (in a pot still).

    • surya9375
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5 8:27 AM
        Thanks Tony.
        Just doing my bit for the forum. You guys helped me big time when I
        came in :-)

        And Josh.
        This did confuse me as well when I was looking at still pictures when
        I started out. Most pictures dont show it (a top view) but the top
        part of the condenser is "open". What is condensed trickles down to
        be collected, but the rest goes to the atmostphere.

        Regards
        Surya.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Tony T <tonkyman1979@...>

        > Any questions? Get answers on any topic at www.Answers.yahoo.com.