Re: Need info please

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
      At 01:17 AM 12/05/2006, you wrote:
      >Now. Ethanol (which is the alcohol we are after) has a lower boiling
      >point than water. So when the batch is heated the ethnol would be the
      >first to escape as steam than water.

      Essentially, yes. Ethanol will begin boiling before the water does, but
      there are several kinds of alcohol other than ethanol in the wash, and
      thankfully THEY have lower boiling points than Ethanol.

      That makes THEIR steam the first thing out, and that's why you throw away
      the first 50ml to 100ml. Those are the "Foreshots" and "Heads". They smell
      bad, taste bad, and cause hangovers/worse hangovers.

      Running a wash through a pot still once, then running it through a second
      time is a pretty standard practice for most people. The first run generally
      comes out at about 40%, and not tasting as good.

      When you see cartoons of Hillbillies hefting a gallon stoneware jug, with
      two or three "X" marks across the bottom, that is based in fact.

      Back around the turn of the century (20th) stoneware jugs and demijohns
      were favored for storage of moonshine, mostly the cheaper stoneware jugs.

      The "X" marks denoted quality of the contents. A marking of "XXX" meant
      that the whiskey was triple-distilled. (in a pot still).
    • Tony T
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
        That's a very nice simple explanation Surya, good job.
        I do have one thing to add though.When he asked about
        closing the valve and it maybe being disaster waiting
        to happen. I think he is under the impression that the
        still "system" is allowed to come under pressure, thus
        being an explosion hazard. Reflux (and I guess all)
        stills are open to the atmosphere and not "closed
        systems" so pressure is not allowed to build up
        (except a little vapor pressure, but I'm going for
        simple). In the reflux still the condenser is sized
        big enough to condense and return all the rising vapor
        before it can leave the "vented" column. By closing
        the take-off valve you are returning all the condensed
        vapor down the column and helping it to concentrate
        the alcohol vapors at the still head. By allowing it
        to remain in total reflux after equilibrium for
        several minutes the alcohol percentage is much
        higher.

        Over on www.homedistiller.org they have several really
        nice pictures of reflux stills. A close look will let
        you see how they are "open" to the atmosphere.

        Good luck and welcome aboard.

        Tony T

      • Josh
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
          That's a pretty cool story. I was always curious about the "XXX" on
          the jugs.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry <larry@...> wrote:

          > At 01:17 AM 12/05/2006, you wrote:
          > >Now. Ethanol (which is the alcohol we are after) has a lower boiling
          > >point than water. So when the batch is heated the ethnol would be the
          > >first to escape as steam than water.
          >
          > Essentially, yes. Ethanol will begin boiling before the water does, but
          > there are several kinds of alcohol other than ethanol in the wash, and
          > thankfully THEY have lower boiling points than Ethanol.
          >
          > That makes THEIR steam the first thing out, and that's why you throw
          away
          > the first 50ml to 100ml. Those are the "Foreshots" and "Heads".
          They smell
          > bad, taste bad, and cause hangovers/worse hangovers.
          >
          > Running a wash through a pot still once, then running it through a
          second
          > time is a pretty standard practice for most people. The first run
          generally
          > comes out at about 40%, and not tasting as good.
          >
          > When you see cartoons of Hillbillies hefting a gallon stoneware jug,
          with
          > two or three "X" marks across the bottom, that is based in fact.
          >
          > Back around the turn of the century (20th) stoneware jugs and demijohns
          > were favored for storage of moonshine, mostly the cheaper stoneware
          jugs.

          > The "X" marks denoted quality of the contents. A marking of "XXX" meant
          > that the whiskey was triple-distilled. (in a pot still).

        • surya9375
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
            Thanks Tony.
            Just doing my bit for the forum. You guys helped me big time when I
            came in :-)

            And Josh.
            This did confuse me as well when I was looking at still pictures when
            I started out. Most pictures dont show it (a top view) but the top
            part of the condenser is "open". What is condensed trickles down to
            be collected, but the rest goes to the atmostphere.

            Regards
            Surya.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Tony T <tonkyman1979@...>

            > Any questions? Get answers on any topic at www.Answers.yahoo.com.