Re: Can I reuse my mash?

  • nepperhanman
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rocklandbum" <rocklandbum@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello. I am going to distill my mash tommorow in my pot still and I
      was
      > wondering if there is any way to reuse my mash?
      > Correct me if I'm doing this wrong, but I am going to pour my mash
      > through a pillowcase so that there is nothing solid in my still.
      Then I
      > will boil it down at 86*C . That stuff that was in the pillowcase,
      can
      > it be used for anything? It's a whiskey mash by the way.
      > Thanks!

      With smaller amounts of grain that I have used for beer making I have
      turned it into a dense brown bread. Find a good brown bread recipe
      and put in a cup or so of the spent grains. It makes a nice health
      food kind of loaf.
    • PAUL LUDASHER
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 5, 2006
        Feed it to your cattle they love it!
      • donald holcombe
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 5, 2006
          Ever heard of Sour Mash ? I generaly throw sugar in mine and rerun it 2 to 5 times. I dip the wash off of the settled grains.Then add water and sugar and maybe a little grain. Seems to work OK. LATER

            > Hello. I am going to distill my mash tommorow in my pot still and I
            was
            > wondering if there is any way to reuse my mash?
            > Correct me if I'm doing this wrong, but I am going to pour my mash
            > through a pillowcase so that there is nothing solid in my still.
            Then I
            > will boil it down at 86*C . That stuff that was in the pillowcase,
            can
            > it be used for anything? It's a whiskey mash by the way.
            > Thanks!

            My wifes stupid pot bellied pig always starts squealing when it hears
            my thumper, one of these days its going to get me caught. That is if I
            don't eat her first! All jokes aside the spent mash is an excellent
            feed for live stock.
          • f seeber
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 27, 2007
              Austin

              I Ran a 3000 head a year hog operation until was out of college yes iam farm boy

              Sraight DDG s is not a good  thing for your "porker" he will have acute squirts
              and you will get to clean it up!!!!!! it needs to be blended with a starch product at least half and half if not more dilute

              Freds

              wrote:

              > Hello. I am going to distill my mash tommorow in my pot still and I
              was
              > wondering if there is any way to reuse my mash?
              > Correct me if I'm doing this wrong, but I am going to pour my mash
              > through a pillowcase so that there is nothing solid in my still.
              Then I
              > will boil it down at 86*C . That stuff that was in the pillowcase,
              can
              > it be used for anything? It's a whiskey mash by the way.
              > Thanks!

              My wifes stupid pot bellied pig always starts squealing when it hears
              my thumper, one of these days its going to get me caught. That is if I
              don't eat her first! All jokes aside the spent mash is an excellent
              feed for live stock.

              8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time