Re: [new_distillers] Re: Can I reuse my mash?

  • !Zapata Vive!
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
      If you actually mash grains to make your wash, the grains can be
      turned into doggy biscuits. I've seen a dozen or so beer brewers who
      have done this, recipe follows (I got the recipe from "mill rat" from
      a brewing forum). I don't know how it would work for you corn
      whiskey makers as the brewers would be using a majority of barley
      with maybe some wheat rice or corn, but I suspect it would work just
      fine with any mashed grain:

      4 cups spent grain
      4 cups flour
      1 cup peanut butter
      1 egg

      Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Press down into a dense layer on a
      large cookie sheet. Score almost all the way through into the shapes
      you want. Bake for about half an hour at 350 F to solidify them.
      Loosen them from the sheet, break the biscuits apart and return them,
      loosely spread out on the cookie sheet, to the oven at 225 F for 8 to
      10 hours to dry them very thoroughly to prevent mold growth. Store in
      an airtight container to keep them dry and mold-free.
    • nepperhanman
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rocklandbum" <rocklandbum@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello. I am going to distill my mash tommorow in my pot still and I
        was
        > wondering if there is any way to reuse my mash?
        > Correct me if I'm doing this wrong, but I am going to pour my mash
        > through a pillowcase so that there is nothing solid in my still.
        Then I
        > will boil it down at 86*C . That stuff that was in the pillowcase,
        can
        > it be used for anything? It's a whiskey mash by the way.
        > Thanks!

        With smaller amounts of grain that I have used for beer making I have
        turned it into a dense brown bread. Find a good brown bread recipe
        and put in a cup or so of the spent grains. It makes a nice health
        food kind of loaf.
      • PAUL LUDASHER
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 5, 2006
          Feed it to your cattle they love it!
        • donald holcombe
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 5, 2006
            Ever heard of Sour Mash ? I generaly throw sugar in mine and rerun it 2 to 5 times. I dip the wash off of the settled grains.Then add water and sugar and maybe a little grain. Seems to work OK. LATER

              > Hello. I am going to distill my mash tommorow in my pot still and I
              was
              > wondering if there is any way to reuse my mash?
              > Correct me if I'm doing this wrong, but I am going to pour my mash
              > through a pillowcase so that there is nothing solid in my still.
              Then I
              > will boil it down at 86*C . That stuff that was in the pillowcase,
              can
              > it be used for anything? It's a whiskey mash by the way.
              > Thanks!

              My wifes stupid pot bellied pig always starts squealing when it hears
              my thumper, one of these days its going to get me caught. That is if I
              don't eat her first! All jokes aside the spent mash is an excellent
              feed for live stock.
            • f seeber
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 27, 2007
                Austin

                I Ran a 3000 head a year hog operation until was out of college yes iam farm boy

                Sraight DDG s is not a good  thing for your "porker" he will have acute squirts
                and you will get to clean it up!!!!!! it needs to be blended with a starch product at least half and half if not more dilute

                Freds

                wrote:

                > Hello. I am going to distill my mash tommorow in my pot still and I
                was
                > wondering if there is any way to reuse my mash?
                > Correct me if I'm doing this wrong, but I am going to pour my mash
                > through a pillowcase so that there is nothing solid in my still.
                Then I
                > will boil it down at 86*C . That stuff that was in the pillowcase,
                can
                > it be used for anything? It's a whiskey mash by the way.
                > Thanks!

                My wifes stupid pot bellied pig always starts squealing when it hears
                my thumper, one of these days its going to get me caught. That is if I
                don't eat her first! All jokes aside the spent mash is an excellent
                feed for live stock.

                8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time