Re: Can I reuse my mash?

  • don1lia2joe3
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4 1:11 PM
      Depends on your recipe, if you used sugar in your recipe and just used
      the grains for taste then you can add more sugar and go at it again,
      however if you used enzymes (such as malted grain) to convert your corn
      or whatever grains you are using into sugar, then NO it will be all
      used up and should be used as feed, Never throw it away, if nothing
      else feed it to the birds and squirls.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rocklandbum" <rocklandbum@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello. I am going to distill my mash tommorow in my pot still and I
      was
      > wondering if there is any way to reuse my mash?
      > Correct me if I'm doing this wrong, but I am going to pour my mash
      > through a pillowcase so that there is nothing solid in my still. Then
      > will boil it down at 86*C . That stuff that was in the pillowcase,
      can
      > it be used for anything? It's a whiskey mash by the way.
      > Thanks!

    • !Zapata Vive!
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4 1:47 PM
        If you actually mash grains to make your wash, the grains can be
        turned into doggy biscuits. I've seen a dozen or so beer brewers who
        have done this, recipe follows (I got the recipe from "mill rat" from
        a brewing forum). I don't know how it would work for you corn
        whiskey makers as the brewers would be using a majority of barley
        with maybe some wheat rice or corn, but I suspect it would work just
        fine with any mashed grain:

        4 cups spent grain
        4 cups flour
        1 cup peanut butter
        1 egg

        Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Press down into a dense layer on a
        large cookie sheet. Score almost all the way through into the shapes
        you want. Bake for about half an hour at 350 F to solidify them.
        Loosen them from the sheet, break the biscuits apart and return them,
        loosely spread out on the cookie sheet, to the oven at 225 F for 8 to
        10 hours to dry them very thoroughly to prevent mold growth. Store in
        an airtight container to keep them dry and mold-free.
      • nepperhanman
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4 2:12 PM
          wrote:

          > Hello. I am going to distill my mash tommorow in my pot still and I
          was
          > wondering if there is any way to reuse my mash?
          > Correct me if I'm doing this wrong, but I am going to pour my mash
          > through a pillowcase so that there is nothing solid in my still.
          Then I
          > will boil it down at 86*C . That stuff that was in the pillowcase,
          can
          > it be used for anything? It's a whiskey mash by the way.
          > Thanks!

          With smaller amounts of grain that I have used for beer making I have
          turned it into a dense brown bread. Find a good brown bread recipe
          and put in a cup or so of the spent grains. It makes a nice health
          food kind of loaf.
        • PAUL LUDASHER
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 5 4:32 PM
            Feed it to your cattle they love it!
          • donald holcombe
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 5 7:34 PM
              Ever heard of Sour Mash ? I generaly throw sugar in mine and rerun it 2 to 5 times. I dip the wash off of the settled grains.Then add water and sugar and maybe a little grain. Seems to work OK. LATER

                > Hello. I am going to distill my mash tommorow in my pot still and I
                was
                > wondering if there is any way to reuse my mash?
                > Correct me if I'm doing this wrong, but I am going to pour my mash
                > through a pillowcase so that there is nothing solid in my still.
                Then I
                > will boil it down at 86*C . That stuff that was in the pillowcase,
                can
                > it be used for anything? It's a whiskey mash by the way.
                > Thanks!

                My wifes stupid pot bellied pig always starts squealing when it hears
                my thumper, one of these days its going to get me caught. That is if I
                don't eat her first! All jokes aside the spent mash is an excellent
                feed for live stock.
              • f seeber
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 27, 2007
                  Austin

                  I Ran a 3000 head a year hog operation until was out of college yes iam farm boy

                  Sraight DDG s is not a good  thing for your "porker" he will have acute squirts
                  and you will get to clean it up!!!!!! it needs to be blended with a starch product at least half and half if not more dilute

                  Freds

                  wrote:

                  > Hello. I am going to distill my mash tommorow in my pot still and I
                  was
                  > wondering if there is any way to reuse my mash?
                  > Correct me if I'm doing this wrong, but I am going to pour my mash
                  > through a pillowcase so that there is nothing solid in my still.
                  Then I
                  > will boil it down at 86*C . That stuff that was in the pillowcase,
                  can
                  > it be used for anything? It's a whiskey mash by the way.
                  > Thanks!

                  My wifes stupid pot bellied pig always starts squealing when it hears
                  my thumper, one of these days its going to get me caught. That is if I
                  don't eat her first! All jokes aside the spent mash is an excellent
                  feed for live stock.

                  8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time