Can I reuse my mash?

  • rocklandbum
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2006
      Hello. I am going to distill my mash tommorow in my pot still and I was
      wondering if there is any way to reuse my mash?
      Correct me if I'm doing this wrong, but I am going to pour my mash
      through a pillowcase so that there is nothing solid in my still. Then I
      will boil it down at 86*C . That stuff that was in the pillowcase, can
      it be used for anything? It's a whiskey mash by the way.
      Thanks!
    • tyler_97355
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
        Most commercial distilleries will dry out the used grain and sell it
        for use as feed for cattle, horses, chickens, etc. This is called DDG
        (Dried Distillers Grains). In the summer time, i will lay my used
        grains out on a screen to dry out. It makes a good feed for deer too.

        -Tyler

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rocklandbum" <rocklandbum@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello. I am going to distill my mash tommorow in my pot still and I was
        > wondering if there is any way to reuse my mash?
        > Correct me if I'm doing this wrong, but I am going to pour my mash
        > through a pillowcase so that there is nothing solid in my still. Then I
        > will boil it down at 86*C . That stuff that was in the pillowcase, can
        > it be used for anything? It's a whiskey mash by the way.
        > Thanks!

      • don1lia2joe3
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
          Depends on your recipe, if you used sugar in your recipe and just used
          the grains for taste then you can add more sugar and go at it again,
          however if you used enzymes (such as malted grain) to convert your corn
          or whatever grains you are using into sugar, then NO it will be all
          used up and should be used as feed, Never throw it away, if nothing
          else feed it to the birds and squirls.

          wrote:

          > Hello. I am going to distill my mash tommorow in my pot still and I
          was
          > wondering if there is any way to reuse my mash?
          > Correct me if I'm doing this wrong, but I am going to pour my mash
          > through a pillowcase so that there is nothing solid in my still. Then
          > will boil it down at 86*C . That stuff that was in the pillowcase,
          can
          > it be used for anything? It's a whiskey mash by the way.
          > Thanks!

        • !Zapata Vive!
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
            If you actually mash grains to make your wash, the grains can be
            turned into doggy biscuits. I've seen a dozen or so beer brewers who
            have done this, recipe follows (I got the recipe from "mill rat" from
            a brewing forum). I don't know how it would work for you corn
            whiskey makers as the brewers would be using a majority of barley
            with maybe some wheat rice or corn, but I suspect it would work just
            fine with any mashed grain:

            4 cups spent grain
            4 cups flour
            1 cup peanut butter
            1 egg

            Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Press down into a dense layer on a
            large cookie sheet. Score almost all the way through into the shapes
            you want. Bake for about half an hour at 350 F to solidify them.
            Loosen them from the sheet, break the biscuits apart and return them,
            loosely spread out on the cookie sheet, to the oven at 225 F for 8 to
            10 hours to dry them very thoroughly to prevent mold growth. Store in
            an airtight container to keep them dry and mold-free.
          • nepperhanman
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
              wrote:

              > Hello. I am going to distill my mash tommorow in my pot still and I
              was
              > wondering if there is any way to reuse my mash?
              > Correct me if I'm doing this wrong, but I am going to pour my mash
              > through a pillowcase so that there is nothing solid in my still.
              Then I
              > will boil it down at 86*C . That stuff that was in the pillowcase,
              can
              > it be used for anything? It's a whiskey mash by the way.
              > Thanks!

              With smaller amounts of grain that I have used for beer making I have
              turned it into a dense brown bread. Find a good brown bread recipe
              and put in a cup or so of the spent grains. It makes a nice health
              food kind of loaf.
            • PAUL LUDASHER
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 5, 2006
                Feed it to your cattle they love it!
              • donald holcombe
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 5, 2006
                  Ever heard of Sour Mash ? I generaly throw sugar in mine and rerun it 2 to 5 times. I dip the wash off of the settled grains.Then add water and sugar and maybe a little grain. Seems to work OK. LATER

                    > Hello. I am going to distill my mash tommorow in my pot still and I
                    was
                    > wondering if there is any way to reuse my mash?
                    > Correct me if I'm doing this wrong, but I am going to pour my mash
                    > through a pillowcase so that there is nothing solid in my still.
                    Then I
                    > will boil it down at 86*C . That stuff that was in the pillowcase,
                    can
                    > it be used for anything? It's a whiskey mash by the way.
                    > Thanks!

                    My wifes stupid pot bellied pig always starts squealing when it hears
                    my thumper, one of these days its going to get me caught. That is if I
                    don't eat her first! All jokes aside the spent mash is an excellent
                    feed for live stock.
                  • f seeber
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 27, 2007
                      Austin

                      I Ran a 3000 head a year hog operation until was out of college yes iam farm boy

                      Sraight DDG s is not a good  thing for your "porker" he will have acute squirts
                      and you will get to clean it up!!!!!! it needs to be blended with a starch product at least half and half if not more dilute

                      Freds

                      wrote:

                      > Hello. I am going to distill my mash tommorow in my pot still and I
                      was
                      > wondering if there is any way to reuse my mash?
                      > Correct me if I'm doing this wrong, but I am going to pour my mash
                      > through a pillowcase so that there is nothing solid in my still.
                      Then I
                      > will boil it down at 86*C . That stuff that was in the pillowcase,
                      can
                      > it be used for anything? It's a whiskey mash by the way.
                      > Thanks!

                      My wifes stupid pot bellied pig always starts squealing when it hears
                      my thumper, one of these days its going to get me caught. That is if I
                      don't eat her first! All jokes aside the spent mash is an excellent
                      feed for live stock.

                      8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time