What about this

  • forasses
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 3, 2006
      This guy sells on ebay. Theses are some of the claims:-

      Amazing reflux still for spirits and alcohol! (SECONDS)

      * Its faster than any other (no more slow `drip, drip drip')
      * You can make 2 bottle of spirits in just 30 mins - including
      heatup!
      * Its 95% pure alcohol
      * You don't need to put it through a SLOOOOOW carbon filter
      * Easy for anyone to use – full colour instructions included
      * NO RISK – 100% money back guarantee!
      The combination of extremely high purity of output (95%), plus the
      catalytic operation of the copper means that it really is very clean
      coming straight from the still. Carbon filtering is required on
      cheaper stills because the output from the still has a very unpleasant
      taste and smell, not for any safety reasons.
      Carbon can still be used on this still, and will make it taste even
      better, but most people find it perfectly fine without it.
      # Its a reflux still
      # Comes with a high quality, waterproof digital thermometer
      # The column is all copper, the boiler is all high quality stainless steel
      # It has a specially designed structured copper mesh as packing for
      superior taste and purity
      # It has a 5L capacity for legal ownership in Australia
      # It has a 2200W element (3 times faster than other 5L stills)
      # It has had 4 years of solid design to make it the best commercial
      grade still on the market! Other stills are just toys compared to
      this one.
      What do people think?
      Foras.
    • Ian Kent
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 3, 2006
        I heard you can even buy an adaptor kit that lets you select outputs
        like Rum, Bourbon, Gin and Peach Schnapps.

        On 12/4/06, forasses <forasses@...> wrote:

        > This guy sells on ebay. Theses are some of the claims:-
        >
        > Amazing reflux still for spirits and alcohol! (SECONDS)
        >
        > * Its faster than any other (no more slow `drip, drip drip')
        > * You can make 2 bottle of spirits in just 30 mins - including
        > heatup!
        > * Its 95% pure alcohol
        > * You don't need to put it through a SLOOOOOW carbon filter
        > * Easy for anyone to use – full colour instructions included
        > * NO RISK – 100% money back guarantee!
        > The combination of extremely high purity of output (95%), plus the
        > catalytic operation of the copper means that it really is very clean
        > coming straight from the still. Carbon filtering is required on
        > cheaper stills because the output from the still has a very unpleasant
        > taste and smell, not for any safety reasons.
        > Carbon can still be used on this still, and will make it taste even
        > better, but most people find it perfectly fine without it.
        > # Its a reflux still
        > # Comes with a high quality, waterproof digital thermometer
        > # The column is all copper, the boiler is all high quality stainless steel
        > # It has a specially designed structured copper mesh as packing for
        > superior taste and purity
        > # It has a 5L capacity for legal ownership in Australia
        > # It has a 2200W element (3 times faster than other 5L stills)
        > # It has had 4 years of solid design to make it the best commercial
        > grade still on the market! Other stills are just toys compared to
        > this one.
        > What do people think?
        > Foras.
      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 3, 2006
          Hmm, 5 liters boiler, takes 10 minutes to heat up mash. 2 botles of
          40% stuff - assuming 0.7 l bottles at 40% that's roughly 6dl 95.6%
          stuff at 20 minutes -> 1.8 liters per hour. It's doable with 2.2kW
          element if you have 3" column and you sort out problems associated
          with larger column diameter.

          However, 6dl pure stuff out from 5 liters mash leaves ~1,5dl heads
          and tails - that's about 10-80-10 cuts and that's not doable within
          20 minutes. I'd say the stuff produced by this still is not neutral
          or the bottle size they are talking about is miniscule.

          Also, without direct link I can't say for sure, but there was
          scamming problem associated to one NZ manufacturer of stills. The one
          I'm talking about had shortish column and what seemed to be ball-
          valve controlled LM outlet. Definately NOT amphora guys but some
          unknown company with fancy name and big promises - sounded a bit like
          this one. IIRC you can find related discussion at homedistiller's
          forum.

          Cheers, Riku

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "forasses" <forasses@...>
          wrote:

          > This guy sells on ebay. Theses are some of the claims:-
          >
          > Amazing reflux still for spirits and alcohol! (SECONDS)
          >
          > * Its faster than any other (no more slow `drip, drip drip')
          > * You can make 2 bottle of spirits in just 30 mins -
          including
          > heatup!
          > * Its 95% pure alcohol
          > * You don't need to put it through a SLOOOOOW carbon filter
          > * Easy for anyone to use – full colour instructions included
          > * NO RISK – 100% money back guarantee!
          > The combination of extremely high purity of output (95%), plus the
          > catalytic operation of the copper means that it really is very clean
          > coming straight from the still. Carbon filtering is required on
          > cheaper stills because the output from the still has a very
          unpleasant
          > taste and smell, not for any safety reasons.
          > Carbon can still be used on this still, and will make it taste even
          > better, but most people find it perfectly fine without it.
          > # Its a reflux still
          > # Comes with a high quality, waterproof digital thermometer
          > # The column is all copper, the boiler is all high quality
          stainless steel
          > # It has a specially designed structured copper mesh as packing for
          > superior taste and purity
          > # It has a 5L capacity for legal ownership in Australia
          > # It has a 2200W element (3 times faster than other 5L stills)
          > # It has had 4 years of solid design to make it the best commercial
          > grade still on the market! Other stills are just toys compared to
          > this one.
          > What do people think?
          > Foras.

        • Larry
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 3, 2006
            At 06:04 PM 12/03/2006, you wrote:

            >This guy sells on ebay. Theses are some of the claims:-

            Most of these claims skirt "Scamming" fairly closely. THAT should be your
            first indicator.
            Two bottles of spirit in 30 minutes, including heatup?
            You can make 2 bottles of spirit in 30 minutes, no problem... but you'll
            notice that he doesn't say how large the bottles are, or how big the was is.

            Alcohol starts coming out as soon as the wash reaches the boiling point of
            ethanol. I can beat that time with my essential extractor from
            Brewhaus.com, hands-down.

            I can put one quart of wash into my boiler, instead of 5 gallons, with a
            110,000 BTU propane burner under it, the alcohol in that wash will start
            boiling to steam in less than 5 minutes.

            If I'm heating a full 6 gallons, that's whole a different thing.
            No more slow drip, drip, drip??? That's not a function of a still, it's a
            function of how much heat you put under it.

            Furthermore, slow drip, drip, drip, is how you get high percentage output
            that is drinkable. Getting a flow which is continuous is generally a goal,
            not something to be avoided.
            He misrepresents carbon filtering. Need for it is, once again, not
            determined by design of the still, it's determined by how you use it.
            How clean the output of a still will be is, once again, is determined by
            whether it's a reflux still, the kind of wash used, and how well you
            distill it.

            Output from "cheap stills" doesn't have an unpleasant taste and smell
            because the still is cheap... that comes from improper operation of the
            still. It's called "heads" and "foreshots".

            The stinky stuff comes out first, from ANY still. You collect the first
            50ml-100ml, then switch containers and throw the stinky stuff down the sink.
            He's right about some things, like copper improving the taste, but nearly
            everyone puts some copper mesh in a stainless-steel or a copper column, and
            that takes care of taste.

            With a 2200-watt heater, he might be extracting alcohol pretty quickly, if
            the column is of sufficient size. An inch-and-a-half diameter column, 36
            inches tall, pretty much needs about 1100 watts or less, after the wash
            comes up to temp.

            BTW, if you want to make anything but neutral spirits (Vodka), a reflux
            still is a liability.

            Carbon filtering, OR use of a reflux still, either one, will remove all
            flavor from corn, molasses, rye, or whatever.

            You can get "essences" (at a relatively steep cost) of Bourbon, Rum, etc.
            which can be added to the neutral spirits that a reflux still produces.
            That's a more expensive way to go about it though, and the taste simply
            isn't the same.

            So, "What do people think?", in the case of THIS people, is that he didn't
            EXACTLY lie, but he came as close as possible.

            His still may, after all the hype, be substantially the same as everyone
            else's, so if the price isn't out of line, it may not be a bad buy.

            I'd personally have some strong suspicions about him in general, from the
            things in his description, and avoid doing business with him on that basis
            alone.

            >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            >Amazing reflux still for spirits and alcohol! (SECONDS)
            >
            >* Its faster than any other (no more slow `drip, drip drip')
            >* You can make 2 bottle of spirits in just 30 mins - including
            >heatup!
            >* Its 95% pure alcohol
            >* You don't need to put it through a SLOOOOOW carbon filter
            >* Easy for anyone to use – full colour instructions included
            >* NO RISK – 100% money back guarantee!
            >The combination of extremely high purity of output (95%), plus the
            >catalytic operation of the copper means that it really is very clean
            >coming straight from the still. Carbon filtering is required on
            >cheaper stills because the output from the still has a very unpleasant
            >taste and smell, not for any safety reasons.
            >Carbon can still be used on this still, and will make it taste even
            >better, but most people find it perfectly fine without it.
            ># Its a reflux still
            ># Comes with a high quality, waterproof digital thermometer
            ># The column is all copper, the boiler is all high quality stainless steel
            ># It has a specially designed structured copper mesh as packing for
            >superior taste and purity
            ># It has a 5L capacity for legal ownership in Australia
            ># It has a 2200W element (3 times faster than other 5L stills)
            ># It has had 4 years of solid design to make it the best commercial
            >grade still on the market! Other stills are just toys compared to
            >this one.
            >What do people think?
          • Shane Clayton
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006

              I can vouch for it 100% of the way this little still is awesome I get 96% every run and never have I yet had to filter the final distillate.

              Personally I don’t think u could go past it even if u tried to build one yourself.

              Regards S hane

              Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

              Life should NO T be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body

              But rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand,strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out & screaming

              " WOO HOO----WHA T A R IDE."

            • Larry
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                At 05:21 PM 12/04/2006, you wrote:

                I can vouch for it 100% of the way this little still is awesome I get 96% every run and never have I yet had to filter the final distillate.

                Of course you haven't... whether you need to run output through a filter is determined by what you're making, and and how you're making it... NOT on which still you are using.

                The guy is hyping his stuff to people who don't know better.

                Saying you "get 96% every time and have never yet had to filter the final distillate" makes you sound like you're swimming around with his hook in your mouth.

                It indicates that you are doing things right, but not that you bought any particular still that enabled you to do so, despite what the seller of the still may have told you.
              • mischa_6262
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
                  "The guy is hyping his stuff to people who don't know better."

                  Well i spose your entitled to have your opinion which by the sounds of
                  it sounds like your very bitter about something? (just my opinion)

                  "Saying you "get 96% every time and have never yet had to filter the
                  final distillate" makes you sound like you're swimming around with his
                  hook in your mouth."

                  Well if i got his hook in my mouth its a bloody good quality hook then
                  because as i stated the still "DOES" perform as mentioned.
                • Larry
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
                    At 07:41 PM 12/05/2006, you wrote:

                    >"The guy is hyping his stuff to people who don't know better."
                    >
                    >Well i spose your entitled to have your opinion which by the sounds of
                    >it sounds like your very bitter about something? (just my opinion)
                    >

                    >"Saying you "get 96% every time and have never yet had to filter the
                    >final distillate" makes you sound like you're swimming around with his
                    >hook in your mouth."
                    >
                    >Well if i got his hook in my mouth its a bloody good quality hook then
                    >because as i stated the still "DOES" perform as mentioned.

                    I didn't say that it doesn't. It probably does, like pretty much every
                    other reflux still on the planet does also.

                    But you're talking like you think (as he tries hard to give the impression)
                    that only HIS does.

                    His descriptions are designed to play on the ignorant and the gullible in
                    this world.

                    THAT is what I'm bitter about.
                  • sonum norbu
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
                      Oh gawd, another bruised ego.   lol

                      "The guy is hyping his stuff to people who don't know better."

                      Well i spose your entitled to have your opinion which by the sounds of
                      it sounds like your very bitter about something? (just my opinion)

                      "Saying you "get 96% every time and have never yet had to filter the
                      final distillate" makes you sound like you're swimming around with his
                      hook in your mouth."

                      Well if i got his hook in my mouth its a bloody good quality hook then
                      because as i stated the still "DOES" perform as mentioned.

                      SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                      http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
                      #american-pie on Starchat

                      Powered by Outblaze
                    • surya9375
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
                        Hey
                        anyone have the URl for this??? After all this talk I would like to
                        take a look at what this is?

                        Curiosity :-)

                        Regards.

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry <larry@...> wrote:

                        > At 07:41 PM 12/05/2006, you wrote:
                        >
                        > >"The guy is hyping his stuff to people who don't know better."
                        > >
                        > >Well i spose your entitled to have your opinion which by the sounds of
                        > >it sounds like your very bitter about something? (just my opinion)
                        > >

                        > >"Saying you "get 96% every time and have never yet had to filter the
                        > >final distillate" makes you sound like you're swimming around with his
                        > >hook in your mouth."
                        > >
                        > >Well if i got his hook in my mouth its a bloody good quality hook then
                        > >because as i stated the still "DOES" perform as mentioned.
                        >
                        > I didn't say that it doesn't. It probably does, like pretty much every
                        > other reflux still on the planet does also.
                        >
                        > But you're talking like you think (as he tries hard to give the
                        impression)
                        > that only HIS does.
                        >
                        > His descriptions are designed to play on the ignorant and the
                        gullible in
                        > this world.
                        >
                        > THAT is what I'm bitter about.

                      • Ian Kent
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
                          On 12/6/06, sonum norbu <blanik@...> wrote:
                          > Oh gawd, another bruised ego. lol

                        • mavnkaf
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 6, 2006
                            Hi surya, heres one url,

                            http://homedistiller.org/photos-sold.htm

                            I guess the internet url's only show bits of an old website but I
                            know there some of them for sale in the ozzie ebay, Item number:
                            120060688295. Greg Frisk (the owner from puredistilling.com), may
                            have worked out ebay was a better place to sell his stills.

                            Cheers
                            Marc

                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "surya9375" <surya9375@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Hey
                            > anyone have the URl for this??? After all this talk I would like to
                            > take a look at what this is?
                            >
                            > Curiosity :-)
                            >
                            > Regards.
                          • mavnkaf
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 6, 2006
                              Hi Shane, Can you please tell me how long is the the copper packed
                              area of your column? I'm just wondering about it. Looking at the
                              pictures in ebay, it's hard to get any idear how long it is. Thanks.

                              Cheers
                              Marc
                            • mischa_6262
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 6, 2006
                                I have not for one minute said that mine is the best still and every
                                one elses still is crap, i have just stated that i can vouch for the
                                still that i own (which is the still u r talking about) which does
                                perform as it was stated.
                                Who gives a shit if his Ebay ads skirt the edges of "scamming"?
                                well that would then cover about 80% of every thing ever sold on ebay
                                you cant tell me people dont over exagerate things when they advertise
                                them on ebay?
                                But as far as this guy goes he must be doing something right as he
                                sells shit loads of them.
                                As far as the ignorant and gullible comment im not entering into that
                                comment as im not here to start a shit slinging match.

                                And for the other post by "sonum norbu" in regards to brused egos? not
                                me in any way whatsoever so all i can say about that comment is "get
                                over it" I got no brused ego, i couldnt give a shit im just offering
                                my 2 bobs worth.