Re: Loss when carbon filtering

  • tyler_97355
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2006
      As the others said, you can just run water through and collect the
      distillate, or you can filter at 40-45%, which seems to be more
      recomended than filtering at 90%. By filtering at a lower alcohol
      percentage, you will lose less of the alcohol in the carbon.

      But do you need to filter? That is entirely up to you and your
      personal tastes. If you are collecting it at 90%, you shouldn't have
      that much nasty stuff in your distillate. If it taste ok to you, then
      don't filter. If you want it to taste a little more pure, then filter.
      Its that simple.

      -Tyler

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sackerbill1" <jsshort1@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > My question is 2 fold. Was wondering what the normal loss is after
      > spirit is carbon filtered. I have a 30 inch PVC pipe filled with carbon
      > that I have been running mine through and I always loose about 500ml.
      > Is this normal or is there a way to recover this from the carbon?
      >
      > Also, I distill just sugar for a neutral vodka with a valved reflux
      > still that I run at full reflux for about 15-20 minutes at the
      > beginning and collect at a 3-1 ratio. My spirit comes out at 90%. Do I
      > really need to carbon filter if I collect at such a slow ratio?
      >
      > Thanks for your time.

    • tim smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2006
        Hi