Re: [new_distillers] Loss when carbon filtering

  • Andrew Bugal
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
      The carbon is "holding" the spirit.  To recover it, add say 500 ml to the carbon when done filtering and collect what comes through in a separate container.  (This is why I do not filter through carbon but rather add the carbon into the container with my collected spirit from my distilling run.)

      Regards,

      Bwyze

      sackerbill1 <jsshort1@...> wrote:
      Hi everyone,

      My question is 2 fold. Was wondering what the normal loss is after
      spirit is carbon filtered. I have a 30 inch PVC pipe filled with carbon
      that I have been running mine through and I always loose about 500ml.
      Is this normal or is there a way to recover this from the carbon?

      Also, I distill just sugar for a neutral vodka with a valved reflux
      still that I run at full reflux for about 15-20 minutes at the
      beginning and collect at a 3-1 ratio. My spirit comes out at 90%. Do I
      really need to carbon filter if I collect at such a slow ratio?

      Thanks for your time.

    • tyler_97355
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2006
        As the others said, you can just run water through and collect the
        distillate, or you can filter at 40-45%, which seems to be more
        recomended than filtering at 90%. By filtering at a lower alcohol
        percentage, you will lose less of the alcohol in the carbon.

        But do you need to filter? That is entirely up to you and your
        personal tastes. If you are collecting it at 90%, you shouldn't have
        that much nasty stuff in your distillate. If it taste ok to you, then
        don't filter. If you want it to taste a little more pure, then filter.
        Its that simple.

        -Tyler

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sackerbill1" <jsshort1@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > My question is 2 fold. Was wondering what the normal loss is after
        > spirit is carbon filtered. I have a 30 inch PVC pipe filled with carbon
        > that I have been running mine through and I always loose about 500ml.
        > Is this normal or is there a way to recover this from the carbon?
        >
        > Also, I distill just sugar for a neutral vodka with a valved reflux
        > still that I run at full reflux for about 15-20 minutes at the
        > beginning and collect at a 3-1 ratio. My spirit comes out at 90%. Do I
        > really need to carbon filter if I collect at such a slow ratio?
        >
        > Thanks for your time.

      • tim smith
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2006
          Hi