Re: Loss when carbon filtering

  • stevolate
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hi sackerbill1
      I put activated carbon in the 5-litre demijohn and leave to soak for a
      few weeks or longer. You lose what is soaked into the carbon the first
      time only. I leave the carbon covered with 45% ethanol all the time. I
      only filter the ethanol above the carbon and have no loss.
      Happy drinking
      Stevo

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > My question is 2 fold. Was wondering what the normal loss is after
      > spirit is carbon filtered. I have a 30 inch PVC pipe filled with carbon
      > that I have been running mine through and I always loose about 500ml.
      > Is this normal or is there a way to recover this from the carbon?
      >
      > Also, I distill just sugar for a neutral vodka with a valved reflux
      > still that I run at full reflux for about 15-20 minutes at the
      > beginning and collect at a 3-1 ratio. My spirit comes out at 90%. Do I
      > really need to carbon filter if I collect at such a slow ratio?
      >
      > Thanks for your time.

    • Andrew Bugal

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2006
          As the others said, you can just run water through and collect the
          distillate, or you can filter at 40-45%, which seems to be more
          recomended than filtering at 90%. By filtering at a lower alcohol
          percentage, you will lose less of the alcohol in the carbon.

          But do you need to filter? That is entirely up to you and your
          personal tastes. If you are collecting it at 90%, you shouldn't have
          that much nasty stuff in your distillate. If it taste ok to you, then
          don't filter. If you want it to taste a little more pure, then filter.
          Its that simple.

          -Tyler

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sackerbill1" <jsshort1@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > My question is 2 fold. Was wondering what the normal loss is after
          > spirit is carbon filtered. I have a 30 inch PVC pipe filled with carbon
          > that I have been running mine through and I always loose about 500ml.
          > Is this normal or is there a way to recover this from the carbon?
          >
          > Also, I distill just sugar for a neutral vodka with a valved reflux
          > still that I run at full reflux for about 15-20 minutes at the
          > beginning and collect at a 3-1 ratio. My spirit comes out at 90%. Do I
          > really need to carbon filter if I collect at such a slow ratio?
          >
          > Thanks for your time.

        • tim smith
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2006
            Hi