Loss when carbon filtering

  • sackerbill1
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hi everyone,

      My question is 2 fold. Was wondering what the normal loss is after
      spirit is carbon filtered. I have a 30 inch PVC pipe filled with carbon
      that I have been running mine through and I always loose about 500ml.
      Is this normal or is there a way to recover this from the carbon?

      Also, I distill just sugar for a neutral vodka with a valved reflux
      still that I run at full reflux for about 15-20 minutes at the
      beginning and collect at a 3-1 ratio. My spirit comes out at 90%. Do I
      really need to carbon filter if I collect at such a slow ratio?

      Thanks for your time.
    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
        Hi Bill,
        Activated carbon is very absorbent! Recovering the alcohol is possible,
        but you will also recover the rubbish you filtered out.
        Drop the whole lot in the next batch you distil!
        as to whether you need to use it: that's down to your taste buds. Try
        before and after and see if you don't mind the before, or whether it is
        worth the 500ml loss for the extra purity.
        3/1 ratio isn't _that- high, and more importantly, 90% means you have
        10% of stuff that you don't want (ok, mostly water, but even so...)
        cheers
        Rob.

        --- sackerbill1 <jsshort1@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > My question is 2 fold. Was wondering what the normal loss is after
        > spirit is carbon filtered. I have a 30 inch PVC pipe filled with
        > carbon
        > that I have been running mine through and I always loose about 500ml.
        >
        > Is this normal or is there a way to recover this from the carbon?
        >
        > Also, I distill just sugar for a neutral vodka with a valved reflux
        > still that I run at full reflux for about 15-20 minutes at the
        > beginning and collect at a 3-1 ratio. My spirit comes out at 90%. Do
        > really need to carbon filter if I collect at such a slow ratio?
        >
        > Thanks for your time.

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        Cheap talk?
        http://voice.yahoo.com
      • stevolate
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
          Hi sackerbill1
          I put activated carbon in the 5-litre demijohn and leave to soak for a
          few weeks or longer. You lose what is soaked into the carbon the first
          time only. I leave the carbon covered with 45% ethanol all the time. I
          only filter the ethanol above the carbon and have no loss.
          Happy drinking
          Stevo

          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > My question is 2 fold. Was wondering what the normal loss is after
          > spirit is carbon filtered. I have a 30 inch PVC pipe filled with carbon
          > that I have been running mine through and I always loose about 500ml.
          > Is this normal or is there a way to recover this from the carbon?
          >
          > Also, I distill just sugar for a neutral vodka with a valved reflux
          > still that I run at full reflux for about 15-20 minutes at the
          > beginning and collect at a 3-1 ratio. My spirit comes out at 90%. Do I
          > really need to carbon filter if I collect at such a slow ratio?
          >
          > Thanks for your time.

        • Andrew Bugal

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2006
              As the others said, you can just run water through and collect the
              distillate, or you can filter at 40-45%, which seems to be more
              recomended than filtering at 90%. By filtering at a lower alcohol
              percentage, you will lose less of the alcohol in the carbon.

              But do you need to filter? That is entirely up to you and your
              personal tastes. If you are collecting it at 90%, you shouldn't have
              that much nasty stuff in your distillate. If it taste ok to you, then
              don't filter. If you want it to taste a little more pure, then filter.
              Its that simple.

              -Tyler

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sackerbill1" <jsshort1@...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone,
              >
              > My question is 2 fold. Was wondering what the normal loss is after
              > spirit is carbon filtered. I have a 30 inch PVC pipe filled with carbon
              > that I have been running mine through and I always loose about 500ml.
              > Is this normal or is there a way to recover this from the carbon?
              >
              > Also, I distill just sugar for a neutral vodka with a valved reflux
              > still that I run at full reflux for about 15-20 minutes at the
              > beginning and collect at a 3-1 ratio. My spirit comes out at 90%. Do I
              > really need to carbon filter if I collect at such a slow ratio?
              >
              > Thanks for your time.

            • tim smith
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2006
                Hi