My first mash

  • rocklandbum
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 2006
      Hi everyone! I'm new to this group and I am right now in the process
      of making my first mash.
      The biggest pointer I took is that distilling really isn't that
      complicated. So I took snip its from from all the distilling websites
      I could find and here is what I have.

      A pot still made from a 4 Gal pot with a hole in the top that has the
      worm connected to it. The worm is 3/8 inch copper tubing running
      through a big water jug. Will that be fine for my mash?

      My mash that I'm making is...
      I put 10lb of cornmeal, 5lb of sugar, 10 ounces of molasses, and 2
      ounces of rapid rise yeast. Boiled 4gal of water and stirred it in a
      5gal bucket with all of the ingredients.

      Will this be fine? I want to make something with some flavor and the
      highest proof possible with this still. I am planning on double
      distilling.

      Thanks for any input! And I can't wait until I get good at this so
      that I can help people too!
    • surya9375
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2006
        Make sure you dont top up your mash in the pot up to the brim. When
        you distill most mashes will overflow.

        Make sure you add in the yeast only at the end after the water temp
        has come down. Check the yeast packet for the right temp.

        Regards
        Surya

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rocklandbum" <rocklandbum@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi everyone! I'm new to this group and I am right now in the process
        > of making my first mash.
        > The biggest pointer I took is that distilling really isn't that
        > complicated. So I took snip its from from all the distilling websites
        > I could find and here is what I have.
        >
        > A pot still made from a 4 Gal pot with a hole in the top that has the
        > worm connected to it. The worm is 3/8 inch copper tubing running
        > through a big water jug. Will that be fine for my mash?
        >
        > My mash that I'm making is...
        > I put 10lb of cornmeal, 5lb of sugar, 10 ounces of molasses, and 2
        > ounces of rapid rise yeast. Boiled 4gal of water and stirred it in a
        > 5gal bucket with all of the ingredients.
        >
        > Will this be fine? I want to make something with some flavor and the
        > highest proof possible with this still. I am planning on double
        > distilling.
        >
        > Thanks for any input! And I can't wait until I get good at this so
        > that I can help people too!

      • gatesbox
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2006
          Good idea to keep it simple. those 20qt stainless pots can be
          purchased at a lot of dollar stores rather cheaply. It has been a
          long time since I posted, but I really like the simple pot designs
          that can be used on the stove top. You might also consider using
          simple 1 or 1.5" tubing to make a simple goose neck on a short
          column. You can use simple plumbing fictures to fit to the lid of
          the pot, I used to use c clamps and a fresh piece of small diameter
          silicone tubing as a seal (cut along the length). mutiple 120 deg
          elbows can be manipulated to give you what ever angle you would like
          on the downward tube (usually depends on your countertops. You can
          use a reduction coupler to bring the condenser tube down to your
          desired diameter.

          If you really want to be fancy you can reduce the downtube to .5"
          and use pvc pipe fixtures some silicone hose and hose clamps to make
          the outer jacket of the condenser. I would be happy to give you
          better instructions if you are interested.

          Finally, I don't know why more first timers don't use quality yeast,
          the tolerance of brewing yeasts will get you more actual product in
          the end. And if you are using a small still we are really not
          talking about a large quantity maybe at most 4 liters of 40-45%
          hooch out of a 5-7 gallon ferment.

          Also for your first run don't be greedy, take generous heads and
          tails so you get a smooth finish, save them you can always add a
          little back.

          You should plan on only filling your pot with aprox 2.5 gallons of
          mash per run.

          Maybe some of the old timers have better advice, my still is
          collecting cob webs in the barn.