Re: Electric water heater as boiler?

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 27, 2006
      At 08:25 AM 11/27/2006, you wrote:

      >I've read that the Amphora PDA1 can attach to electric water heaters.
      > From looking at these heaters, I think I can just screw it on to the
      >top of the heater -- very simple.

      Adaptors are made specifically for that purpose, you just have to look
      around the sites that sell stills, places like www.milehidistilling (click
      on "connectors" and scroll down).

      As best I recall, Amphora stuff is pretty pricey compared to a column you
      can build yourself or buy pre-made elsewhere.
    • arekayinc
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 28, 2006
        True, the amphora column is pricey. I don't seem to have a lot of
        options in Canada. I don't want anything to travel across the
        border (e.g. MileHigh, etc.), so its either:

        -Amphora PDA-1: $420 for the column
        -Essential Extractor from Brewhaus: $473 for the complete still
        -Charlie's Moonshine Still: $550 for the complete still

        I'm finding it a difficult choice. If I can connect an electric
        water heater to the amphora column, it seems like a really nice
        unit, compared to having the Essential Extractor sitting on a hot
        plate.

        Ian Smiley, from amphora, responded to an email and described how I
        an connect an electric heater to the still, and how to clean the
        heater afterwards. I'm still deciding which to purchase, so any
        advice would be appreciated.

        ...Rob