Fwd: ammonia

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 14, 2006
      Kevin O'Connor <go-tribe@...> wrote:
      From: "Kevin O'Connor" <go-tribe@...>
      To: <gnikomson2000@...>
      Subject: ammonia
      Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 18:29:25 -0500

      I have a dilemma that I simply can't seem to figure out and I am asking
      everyone so that I might understand. First the data concerning my still: 32"
      X 2" column (copper) with 6mm ceramic rings, 1/2 barrel for the boiler,
      using 8kg Turbo Yeast and 17.75 lbs of sugar for the mash. Before now, I did
      not air lock, now I am and here is the problem; I used a blue 7 gal water
      container to ferment and during the distilling I got blue spirits after the
      heads that had a distinct smell of ammonia, I ended up throwing it all out.
      The next time (thinking about the blue container and ammonia used in making
      plastic) I used (2) 5 gal water jars from a bubbler, made the run, got good
      results to the tails, then (I now think that this was stupid) shut the still
      down, opened the top of the column, poured all of the spirits, heads and
      tails back into the column to distill again, then got ammonia again just
      after the heads. No one I have talked to knows anything about ammonia and
      spirits, do you know what's going on? I am desperate thinking that I cannot
      use plastic when fermenting. Kevin O'Connor

      Sponsored Link

      Don't quit your job - take classes online and earn your degree in 1 year. Start Today

    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 14, 2006
        not that old one again?
        The source of the ammonia (most likely the nutrients in the turboyeast)
        is not really important. The reason you are getting blue spirit and
        ammonia during the distillation is that your wash is not sufficiently
        acidic.
        Only free ammonia (or amines) in solution will be released on heating.
        Ammonium salts (formed when you acidify the wash) are not volatile
        under the conditions found during distilling.
        cheers
        Rob.

        --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

        > Kevin O'Connor <go-tribe@...> wrote: From: "Kevin O'Connor"
        > <go-tribe@...>
        > To: <gnikomson2000@...>
        > Subject: ammonia
        > Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 18:29:25 -0500
        >
        > I have a dilemma that I simply can't seem to figure out and I am
        > asking
        > everyone so that I might understand. First the data concerning my
        > still: 32"
        > X 2" column (copper) with 6mm ceramic rings, 1/2 barrel for the
        > boiler,
        > using 8kg Turbo Yeast and 17.75 lbs of sugar for the mash. Before
        > now, I did
        > not air lock, now I am and here is the problem; I used a blue 7 gal
        > water
        > container to ferment and during the distilling I got blue spirits
        > after the
        > heads that had a distinct smell of ammonia, I ended up throwing it
        > all out.
        > The next time (thinking about the blue container and ammonia used in
        > making
        > plastic) I used (2) 5 gal water jars from a bubbler, made the run,
        > got good
        > results to the tails, then (I now think that this was stupid) shut
        > the still
        > down, opened the top of the column, poured all of the spirits, heads
        > and
        > tails back into the column to distill again, then got ammonia again
        > just
        > after the heads. No one I have talked to knows anything about ammonia
        > and
        > spirits, do you know what's going on? I am desperate thinking that I
        > cannot
        > use plastic when fermenting. Kevin O'Connor
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Sponsored Link
        >
        > Don't quit your job - take classes online and earn your degree in
        > 1 year. Start Today

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        Sponsored Link

        Don't quit your job - take classes online
        www.Classesusa.com
      • Jan Wouter

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 16, 2006
              A word of caution: NEVER use vinegar to acid your wash. You'll never
              get it out again.
              Jan Wouter

              2006/11/15, John Wheeler <riodutchie@...>:
              > Also - (I had similar happen to me just recently) if you do get "The blues" - you can just run it back through your still with a little citric acid and it'll come out fine. I turned a nasty blue rum into a tasty vodka that way using some lemon juice.
              >
              > Cheers!
              >
              > On 11/15/06, Jan Wouter <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote:
              > > In other words, add some citric acid to your wash before distilling it.
              > > Jan Wouter

            • mikestaggs04609
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2007
                My question is - What is a "little" bit of lemon juice? How much?
                I too have made two batches of ammonia. I had tryed a different yeast
                and now am regretting it. I would love to hear that I could save it.
                Best,
                Mike

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wheeler"