Re: gaskets

  • fit_dude42
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 3, 2006
      Hi Tim,

      I tried the plumbing tape one on mine but found it went a bit
      transparent after my first trial run, so i wasn't sure if it had
      reacted or if that was normal anyway.

      Glad you found the suggestion useful though.

      Cheers m'dears.
      Karl.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi
      > I'd like to thank everyone for their input on gaskets.I tried
      Karls idea using a split
      > piece of tubing.I used food grade clear,and it worked very well.I
      wrapped the seam with teflon plumbing tape..no leaks!! cheers Tim

      > fit_dude42 <fit_dude42@...>
      wrote: I asked this question a
      while back for my new still. In the end i
      > have used some small bore silicon tube (the automotive stuff) cut
      > down it's length and slipped over the lip of my pot lid. It works
      an
      > absolute treat.
      >
      > The pipe isn't cheap though, about £10 per metre, but if it can
      > withstand use in an engine bay, i'm happy to try it.
      >
      > Karl.
      > Cheers m'dears.
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi
      > > I've just completed a boiler and column unit.I need
      > > some sort of gasket material to join the column to the
      > > boiler.Cork is very hard to find anymore.Rubberised
      > > cork is abundent but smells and tastes god awful.Is
      > > there something else that i could use?
      > > cheers Tim

    • Tony T
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 3, 2006
        Teflon tape in the presence of strong alcohol will
        melt the plastic base material that the tape is made
        from. The plactice will then "leach" into your sprit.

        Now I was told that this is not possible but it is.
        For neutral spirit I use a Mini Still that is built by
        the posted plan. That plan has you install a section
        of 1/4 tubing 2/3 up the column so you can insert a
        temp prob. The picture that comes with the plan shows
        the shaft of the temperature wrapped with teflon tape,
        so that's how I was running mine.

        I made a really slow run one day and about 3 hours in
        I started to pick up a smell that was getting stronger
        as the run progressed. I finally stopped the run way
        early because the smell was stinking up the kitchen.

        When I opened the still the smell would knock you
        down. It was a strong chemical plactic kind of smell.
        I hunted and hunted to find the source but I have
        nothing plactic on my still. I removed the
        temperature probe and noticed the lower wrap of teflon
        tape was clear and looked like it was melted back a
        1/8 of and inch or so and it STUNK!!!!! OMG!!!! it
        smelled SOOOOOOOOOO bad.

        I had run the still configured like that for 5 or 6
        runs and never really noticed the smell in my spirit
        because it was coming in as the tails started and I
        would discard that anyway. This run I had slowed the
        take-off down because I was busy working on something
        else and I could not stand over it and baby sit it the
        entire time. I had my temperature alarm set and I
        would look in on the collection jar every few minutes
        -- big mistake. I ruined the entire run because no
        amount of soaking and redistilling would get rid of
        the smell. I had to boil my column packing 5 or 6
        times in fresh water to finally get the smell out of
        the packing. Getting the smell out of the column was a
        real pain that I never want to have to do again.

        I replaced the 1/4 tube in the column with a 1/2 pipe
        and I now use a natural cork with a hole for my probe
        in it's place. My column to flange seal is cork and my
        top seal is food grade sealer. I've not had a problem
        since.

        I'm sorry for being so long-winded but I don't want
        others to have to deal with that issue. It was a PITA
        to correct after the fact.

        Have fun and be safe,
        Tony T

        --- fit_dude42 <fit_dude42@...> wrote:

        > Hi Tim,
        >
        > I tried the plumbing tape one on mine but found it
        > went a bit
        > transparent after my first trial run, so i wasn't
        > sure if it had
        > reacted or if that was normal anyway.
        >
        > Glad you found the suggestion useful though.
        >
        > Cheers m'dears.
        > Karl.

        (http://voice.yahoo.com)
      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 4, 2006
          Are you quite sure that the PTFE tape got dissolved by alcohol? To me
          it seems that it got wetted (yes, it absorbs alcohol) by some tails
          and you thought it was melting while it was infact working as
          intended (blocks vapors from escaping). The smell IMO would point to
          butyl alcohol which is one component of tails. Mike Nixon says PTFE
          is OK and I've been using it for years without problems, so I would
          suggest that the problem is not with PTFE, rather something else.

          Cheers, Riku

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Tony T <tonkyman1979@...>
          wrote:

          > Teflon tape in the presence of strong alcohol will
          > melt the plastic base material that the tape is made
          > from. The plactice will then "leach" into your sprit.
          >
          > Now I was told that this is not possible but it is.
          > For neutral spirit I use a Mini Still that is built by
          > the posted plan. That plan has you install a section
          > of 1/4 tubing 2/3 up the column so you can insert a
          > temp prob. The picture that comes with the plan shows
          > the shaft of the temperature wrapped with teflon tape,
          > so that's how I was running mine.
          >
          > I made a really slow run one day and about 3 hours in
          > I started to pick up a smell that was getting stronger
          > as the run progressed. I finally stopped the run way
          > early because the smell was stinking up the kitchen.
          >
          > When I opened the still the smell would knock you
          > down. It was a strong chemical plactic kind of smell.
          > I hunted and hunted to find the source but I have
          > nothing plactic on my still. I removed the
          > temperature probe and noticed the lower wrap of teflon
          > tape was clear and looked like it was melted back a
          > 1/8 of and inch or so and it STUNK!!!!! OMG!!!! it
          > smelled SOOOOOOOOOO bad.
          >
          > I had run the still configured like that for 5 or 6
          > runs and never really noticed the smell in my spirit
          > because it was coming in as the tails started and I
          > would discard that anyway. This run I had slowed the
          > take-off down because I was busy working on something
          > else and I could not stand over it and baby sit it the
          > entire time. I had my temperature alarm set and I
          > would look in on the collection jar every few minutes
          > -- big mistake. I ruined the entire run because no
          > amount of soaking and redistilling would get rid of
          > the smell. I had to boil my column packing 5 or 6
          > times in fresh water to finally get the smell out of
          > the packing. Getting the smell out of the column was a
          > real pain that I never want to have to do again.
          >
          > I replaced the 1/4 tube in the column with a 1/2 pipe
          > and I now use a natural cork with a hole for my probe
          > in it's place. My column to flange seal is cork and my
          > top seal is food grade sealer. I've not had a problem
          > since.
          >
          > I'm sorry for being so long-winded but I don't want
          > others to have to deal with that issue. It was a PITA
          > to correct after the fact.
          >
          > Have fun and be safe,
          > Tony T

        • tintin
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 4, 2006
            I'm using Klingerit gaskets. It resits to high temperature and alcohol. Available in sheets you may cut it according to your real needs

            wrote:

            > Teflon tape in the presence of strong alcohol will
            > melt the plastic base material that the tape is made
            > from. The plactice will then "leach" into your sprit.
            >
            > Now I was told that this is not possible but it is.
            > For neutral spirit I use a Mini Still that is built by
            > the posted plan. That plan has you install a section
            > of 1/4 tubing 2/3 up the column so you can insert a
            > temp prob. The picture that comes with the plan shows
            > the shaft of the temperature wrapped with teflon tape,
            > so that's how I was running mine.
            >
            > I made a really slow run one day and about 3 hours in
            > I started to pick up a smell that was getting stronger
            > as the run progressed. I finally stopped the run way
            > early because the smell was stinking up the kitchen.
            >
            > When I opened the still the smell would knock you
            > down. It was a strong chemical plactic kind of smell.
            > I hunted and hunted to find the source but I have
            > nothing plactic on my still. I removed the
            > temperature probe and noticed the lower wrap of teflon
            > tape was clear and looked like it was melted back a
            > 1/8 of and inch or so and it STUNK!!!!! OMG!!!! it
            > smelled SOOOOOOOOOO bad.
            >
            > I had run the still configured like that for 5 or 6
            > runs and never really noticed the smell in my spirit
            > because it was coming in as the tails started and I
            > would discard that anyway. This run I had slowed the
            > take-off down because I was busy working on something
            > else and I could not stand over it and baby sit it the
            > entire time. I had my temperature alarm set and I
            > would look in on the collection jar every few minutes
            > -- big mistake. I ruined the entire run because no
            > amount of soaking and redistilling would get rid of
            > the smell. I had to boil my column packing 5 or 6
            > times in fresh water to finally get the smell out of
            > the packing. Getting the smell out of the column was a
            > real pain that I never want to have to do again.
            >
            > I replaced the 1/4 tube in the column with a 1/2 pipe
            > and I now use a natural cork with a hole for my probe
            > in it's place. My column to flange seal is cork and my
            > top seal is food grade sealer. I've not had a problem
            > since.
            >
            > I'm sorry for being so long-winded but I don't want
            > others to have to deal with that issue. It was a PITA
            > to correct after the fact.
            >
            > Have fun and be safe,
            > Tony T

            tintin_milou92

          • fit_dude42
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 4, 2006
              As mentioned before i was very wary of using the ptfe tape again as
              it went almost completely transparent - that would imply a reaction
              at worst or simply absorption at best, either way the tape was not
              completely inert IMO.

              I now have a satisfactory method of sealing my boiler so i'm not
              using ptfe anyway, although i do have some ptfe tape on the gate
              valve threads of my take-off valve; think i might do some inspection
              before my next run.

              Cheers m'dears,

              Karl.

              <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > else and I could not stand over it and baby sit it the
              > > entire time. I had my temperature alarm set and I
              > > would look in on the collection jar every few minutes
              > > -- big mistake. I ruined the entire run because no
              > > amount of soaking and redistilling would get rid of
              > > the smell. I had to boil my column packing 5 or 6
              > > times in fresh water to finally get the smell out of
              > > the packing. Getting the smell out of the column was a
              > > real pain that I never want to have to do again.
              > >
              > > I replaced the 1/4 tube in the column with a 1/2 pipe
              > > and I now use a natural cork with a hole for my probe
              > > in it's place. My column to flange seal is cork and my
              > > top seal is food grade sealer. I've not had a problem
              > > since.
              > >
              > > I'm sorry for being so long-winded but I don't want
              > > others to have to deal with that issue. It was a PITA

            • abbababbaccc
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 4, 2006
                That's how it works. If PTFE tape is in contact with liquid alcohol
                it absorbs it and turns to transparent. After it dries it is just as
                it was before. If you feel uneasy - dip some PTFE to 95.6% ethanol,
                let it dry and compare to a strip that wasn't dipped.

                Cheers, Riku

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fit_dude42" <fit_dude42@...>
                wrote:

                > As mentioned before i was very wary of using the ptfe tape again as
                > it went almost completely transparent - that would imply a reaction
                > at worst or simply absorption at best, either way the tape was not
                > completely inert IMO.
                >
                > I now have a satisfactory method of sealing my boiler so i'm not
                > using ptfe anyway, although i do have some ptfe tape on the gate
                > valve threads of my take-off valve; think i might do some
                inspection
                > before my next run.
                >
                > Cheers m'dears,
                >
                > Karl.
                >

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
                > <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Are you quite sure that the PTFE tape got dissolved by alcohol?
                > me
                > > it seems that it got wetted (yes, it absorbs alcohol) by some
                > tails
                > > and you thought it was melting while it was infact working as
                > > intended (blocks vapors from escaping). The smell IMO would point
                > > butyl alcohol which is one component of tails. Mike Nixon says
                > PTFE
                > > is OK and I've been using it for years without problems, so I
                > would
                > > suggest that the problem is not with PTFE, rather something else.
                > >
                > > Cheers, Riku

              • Tony T
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 4, 2006
                  Hi Riku,
                  I am more than quite sure it was the teflon tape that
                  melted. When the temperature probe was removed from
                  it's "holder" there was less tape and a goo blob where
                  the rest of the tape should have been. So to sum it up
                  I had less tape than I did to begin with and a sticky
                  blob on the end of my probe that smelled like hell.

                  This smell was more than butyl alcohol. There is no
                  consentration of butyl alcohol that could EVER have a
                  smell like that. This was a chemical smell of a
                  proportion to which I have never smelled in any
                  alcohol run I've done.

                  Now it could have been a cheap tape that was not
                  really a quality tape. I bought it at Lowes and it was
                  labeled as "Heavy Duty Teflon Sealing Tape". This
                  stuff was pink, not white like I was use to buying and
                  it had the words "heavy duty" on the spool. I bought
                  it when I was installing air lines in my shop and it
                  worked well.

                  Anyway, I know for a fact that it was the tape that
                  melted but I can resign myself to the fact that it may
                  have been an inferior grade tape but I'm not taking
                  that chance again. I have found a much better way to
                  seal my still that doesn't require me to use the tape
                  and I like it that way.

                  I too suggest that you test your tape with strong
                  alcohol. The only parameters I would add is heat and
                  vapor pressure. I believe the heat, vapor pressure and
                  chemical action of the alcohol eroded the tape. It may
                  be possible to just soak it in cold alcohol and it
                  turn clear and soft but not melt (or erode).

                  I use teflon tape in areas of my still that are not in
                  direct contact with the high proof alcohol and it
                  works well in that application. My heating element in
                  my pot still/stripper is sealed with teflon tape but
                  the mash it is sealing is no more than 18 to 40%
                  alcohol and that is a decreasing percentage during the
                  run so I'm not worried about the tape.

                  But of course all of the above is just my opinion. Do
                  your own testing and use good judgment based upon your
                  findings (it may be different than what I found).

                  Cheers,
                  Tony T

                  --- abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

                  > Are you quite sure that the PTFE tape got dissolved
                  > by alcohol? To me
                  > it seems that it got wetted (yes, it absorbs
                  > alcohol) by some tails
                  > and you thought it was melting while it was infact
                  > working as
                  > intended (blocks vapors from escaping). The smell
                  > IMO would point to
                  > butyl alcohol which is one component of tails. Mike
                  > Nixon says PTFE
                  > is OK and I've been using it for years without
                  > problems, so I would
                  > suggest that the problem is not with PTFE, rather
                  > something else.
                  >
                  > Cheers, Riku

                • Gord Day
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 4, 2006
                    I found aluminum tape at the hardware store.It works great Just cut it and
                    put it on..It doesn,t come in contact with the alcohol so I,m happY
                    Gord

                    Ready for the world's first international mobile film festival celebrating
                    the creative potential of today's youth? Check out Mobile Jam Fest for your
                    a chance to WIN $10,000! www.mobilejamfest.com
                  • abbababbaccc
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 4, 2006
                      I've never heard of or seen pink PTFE tape, only white ones. As you
                      probably know Teflon is a trademark of du-pont and does not
                      necessarily mean that the tape is made of PTFE. I would suggest that
                      the tape is the problem in this case. If PTFE melting was common we
                      would for sure know it now. I've used PTFE inside the column numerous
                      times and it has never melted or changed structurally.